Sick foods

Options
Jessyd76
Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
I'm feeling crappy. My typical go-to foods when I'm not feeling well are cheez-its, grilled cheese, and other crappy foods.

Got any easy go-to recipes for when you aren't feeling well? (Looking for easy but not canned/processed.) Oddly enough, for me, I'm craving chicken noodle soup.

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Chicken noodle soup is what I have.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Make chicken noodle soup from scratch?

So canned soups are out? Many of them, like Campbell's Healthy Selects, are fairly minimal ingredients...

Why is grilled cheese crappy food?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Last time I put on a never ending chicken stock in my crockpot. Feel better!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    How about scrambled eggs and toast?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Jessyd76 wrote: »
    I'm feeling crappy. My typical go-to foods when I'm not feeling well are cheez-its, grilled cheese, and other crappy foods.

Got any easy go-to recipes for when you aren't feeling well? (Looking for easy but not canned/processed.) Oddly enough, for me, I'm craving chicken noodle soup.

cheez its and grilled cheese are far from crappy foods but can't wait to hear all the suggestions of recipes with no processed foods, which so far no one has offered and btw is a supremely ignorant thing to look for.

There are zero recipes for chicken soup which do not involve processed ingredients, nor additional processing to create the final product
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This soup is so easy, like boiling water. Tortellini in chicken broth. The lemon zest and herbs are great. I have made a basket of the ingredients and brought it to a sick friend. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/cheese-tortellini-soup-with-gremolata.html

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-yMkKACubCgo%2FUwVvQu32t7I%2FAAAAAAAACoE%2Ffnm0TgjEWJQ%2Fs1600%2FCheese%2BTortellini%2BSoup%2Bwith%2BGremolata.jpg&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

cheez its and grilled cheese are far from crappy foods but can't wait to hear all the suggestions of recipes with no processed foods, which so far no one has offered and btw is a supremely ignorant thing to look for.

There are zero recipes for chicken soup which do not involve processed ingredients, nor additional processing to create the final product

Zero? Mine has chicken, onion, a leek, carrot, and misc. veg, with some salt optional
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) if you're having any intestinal distress. If you're feeling more of a head cold, go for that chicken soup. There are more natural/organic kinds in the "health food" section of the grocery store.
  • Acg67
    Options

Zero? Mine has chicken, onion, a leek, carrot, and misc. veg, with some salt optional

So you don't know what processing is, got it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    This soup is so easy, like boiling water. Tortellini in chicken broth. The lemon zest and herbs are great. I have made a basket of the ingredients and brought it to a sick friend. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/cheese-tortellini-soup-with-gremolata.html

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-yMkKACubCgo%2FUwVvQu32t7I%2FAAAAAAAACoE%2Ffnm0TgjEWJQ%2Fs1600%2FCheese%2BTortellini%2BSoup%2Bwith%2BGremolata.jpg&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

Wow. Yes.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »
    BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) if you're having any intestinal distress. If you're feeling more of a head cold, go for that chicken soup. There are more natural/organic kinds in the "health food" section of the grocery store.

Troll much? "Looking for easy but not canned/processed." your suggestions are all processed and bananas are GMO ew
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like Italian egg drop soup- chicken broth and orzo. When orzo is cooked through, scramble one egg with Parmesan cheese then drop in egg mix while stirring hot soup (see, egg drop!). Then add fresh baby spinach at the last minute. About 20m start to soup bowl.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

Ok, so if a whole chicken, and straight vegetables are processed, what isn't? Oh wait, I'll go grab a worm from my garden. Yum.

Way to be helpful, by the way.
  • Acg67
    Options

Ok, so if a whole chicken, and straight vegetables are processed, what isn't? Oh wait, I'll go grab a worm from my garden. Yum.

Way to be helpful, by the way.

Most ingredients are processed to some degree, hence why asking for recipes with no processed ingredients is ignorant.

Way to directly offer ideas that are against the OPs wishes, super helpful as well
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

Sorry! Should have been more specific. :)

I know practically everything is processed. I'm just trying to avoid the stuff that's overly processed in my mind - cheezits, Campbell's soups or any other canned soups.

I'm too exhausted to make my own stock so I'm fine with using a box of chicken broth. I'd just prefer fresh veggies and meats in it vs the stuff that's been sitting in a can forever.

Oddly enough I've never liked or craved chicken noodle soup. I've always made tomato based soups. But today chicken noodle seems to be all I want. Well, tomorrow. I'm about to knock myself out with a hot toddy and some nighttime cold meds.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Well OP the argument that ensued is why I hate the phrases "clean" and "processed" because literally everything is processed in some way...

If you still feel up to making a relatively quick chicken noodle soup with some convenience ingredients, it's quite easy. Box of chicken broth (processed) you can poach chicken breasts in that or use pre cooked chicken strips (processed), some egg noodles (processed), diced celery, carrots, and some herbs.

Hope you feel better.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Oh and when I'm sick I love lemon chicken orzo soup.

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/25/lemon-chicken-orzo-soup/?m

Of course when I'm sick I don't feel like cooking so I usually get Panera or just open a can of soup...
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Well OP the argument that ensued is why I hate the phrases "clean" and "processed" because literally everything is processed in some way...

If you still feel up to making a relatively quick chicken noodle soup with some convenience ingredients, it's quite easy. Box of chicken broth (processed) you can poach chicken breasts in that or use pre cooked chicken strips (processed), some egg noodles (processed), diced celery, carrots, and some herbs.

Hope you feel better.

I agree, I should have ignored the whole stupid 'your chicken soup is processed' post, as frankly I don't give a fig about clean eating, I just find it comforting while I'm sick, and easy as once it's made, it continues to cook for several days, and you just keep adding water as you take soup out and it continues to steep the bones and make fresh broth.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    homemade veggie soup with crackers

toast with jam and peanut butter
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »

Troll much? "Looking for easy but not canned/processed." your suggestions are all processed and bananas are GMO ew

Man, I missed your face. You're right. I shouldn't have suggested something so full of chemicals and frankengenes.