50 Carbs -No more

Options
1flymom3
1flymom3 Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Is anyone not eating more than 50 carbs a day? If so let me know what your eating or doing to keep from going insane?

Replies

• melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to keep it between 20-30 carbs a day. Are you a snacker or having meal issues? What I mean is - are you wanting ideas for low carbs snack things? Or actual meals that satisfy? Or just low-carb advice in general? :)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What do you mean 50 carbs? 50 pieces of carbohydrate or 50g? 50 what?
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    What do you mean 50 carbs? 50 pieces of carbohydrate or 50g? 50 what?

she means 50 grams.

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    *blinks* How do you only eat 50 grams of carbs...? I average 220 grams a day... :neutral: Fruit and veggies, little dairy, little meat. Some meal replacement bars because I struggle with eating enough calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat in a way that is threatening to make you go insane?
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    *blinks* How do you only eat 50 grams of carbs...? I average 220 grams a day... :neutral: Fruit and veggies, little dairy, little meat. Some meal replacement bars because I struggle with eating enough calories.

It is very easy to eat under 50g Net carbs (and even less) when you remove things like bread, pasta, rice, potato, corn, candy, flour, sugar etc from your diet.

edited because apparently i cannot spell today.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    1+
    I know, right?
    Carbs are not the secret to weight loss, nor are they the enemy.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options

It is very easy to eat under 50g Net carbs (and even less) when you remove things like bread, pasta, rice, potoato, corn, candy, flour, sugar etc from your diet.

...of that list I only eat potatoes. And fruit sugars.

Biologically/scientifically I get how it can be done, but I don't get why you'd want to, especially if you dislike doing it :wink:
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Eat all the carbs.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options

It is very easy to eat under 50g Net carbs (and even less) when you remove things like bread, pasta, rice, potoato, corn, candy, flour, sugar etc from your diet.

...of that list I only eat potatoes. And fruit sugars.

Biologically/scientifically I get how it can be done, but I don't get why you'd want to, especially if you dislike doing it :wink:

The why varies person to person I think... I know a lot of people that have tried it because, as someone else said, people have demonized Carbs. Others because they follow/believe the science behind a Ketogenic diet.
    I do it because my DR & a nutritionist friend of mine think eating a Ketogenic diet will help me reduce the risk of diabetes.
    I personally have found that cutting back on carbs was easy after a few weeks. From what the OP has said, I think she is having issues with it and should reconsider if it is seriously that negative of a result...
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I aim for 25 grams, sometimes go over - but never more than 50 g. I've been doing it for a month - when I started 100 seemed impossible to reach. For a month before that I slowly dropped sugars, then reduced grains. Turns out its not that hard - no real hunger - just psychological memories of junk food.

I eat a lot of good cheese and not too much meat. I eat lots of low carb veggies mostly raw. I use lots of hot sauce and spices.
  • tiffanyschadow
    tiffanyschadow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing about my new carb deficient diet. I didn't intentionally cut out carbs for any reason specific to carbs....but I noticed that I most enjoy my carbs smothered in real unhealthy stuff like potatoes swimming in butter and cheese....so that was the fastest way for me to cut calories and fat was to eliminate the carbs that I coat. I am way under my caloric goal each day as a result of working out BUT I still often go over in my carb column and I'd like to understand what impact that has on my overall weight loss goals?????? ADVICE???
  • Liza45Oo
    Liza45Oo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long
    as you create a calorific deficit you will lose weight regardless of macros ( having said that a diet of pure carbs will have your blood sugar crashing and have you reaching for a quick sugar hit.) the problem
    , I have found with trying to reduce carbs drastically is that it leads to a deprivation mentality which in turn tends to lead to bingeing on formerly forbidden foods. Been there done that.... Low carb, keto , paleo...... Every time despite my very best intentions I have ended up overeating on carbs as they were formerly forbidden.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I aim for 25 grams, sometimes go over - but never more than 50 g. I've been doing it for a month - when I started 100 seemed impossible to reach. For a month before that I slowly dropped sugars, then reduced grains. Turns out its not that hard - no real hunger - just psychological memories of junk food.

I eat a lot of good cheese and not too much meat. I eat lots of low carb veggies mostly raw. I use lots of hot sauce and spices.

I don't think I could give up my fruit. As it is, I am over 50 grams on breakfast alone X'D

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You know...if eating that way is not pleasurable to the point of "going insane," you can eat carbs and still lose weight. It is not necessary to eat below 50g of carbs.

I'd be going insane too. Which is why I'm happy to be losing weight while eating around 150g of carbs (including bread, pasta, potatoes, and ice cream) a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Love me some carbs. Why eat in a why that is making you miserable? Why not just eat at a deficit and eat all the foods you enjoy? Remember, this is also learning to live with something that is sustainable to you long term, so you can keep the weight off, once you lose it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss shouldn't be that difficult for you. If it is, then it may not be the dietary choice for you. The way I see most people get keto are to concentrate on many leafy greens. Just keep in mind, when following a low carb/keto diet, you want to make sure you get adequate sodium (IIRC, 5000mg per day) and your diet needs to be high in dietary fats. I would also recommend checking out our keto/low carb groups for more ideas.

• Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow 50grams isn't much! I normally eat around 250g but I dropped it to 160grams only so I could put my protein up because I'm always over on that which isn't a bad thing as I'm always lifting now at least I know I'm eating more than enough of that and my fat is at about 44grams , you can still lose weight eating carbs it's all about CICO that's what it all boils down to
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If it's really difficult, then reconsider. Most of us doing low carb (including those on keto below 50g) actually like it. If you don't like it, you won't stick with it.

My net carbs are generally below 30g. Anything above that and I'm out of keto. My net carbs, carbs minus fiber, is 15-20g, sometimes less.

If you're interested in keto or low carb in general, try these two groups...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto