workout shoe suggestion?

Options
I have really bad feet, well actually plantar fasciitis to be exact. I need to get moving more, which is hard when your feet hurt so bad. Any suggestion on a great sneaker out there?

Replies

• queenofdisney
    Options
    They aren't sneakers, but they are hiking sandals. I LOVE Keen. They can be on the expensive side but they are perfect for almost any exercise I do. Look them up on zappos.com
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i need some good shoes too. Hope you get some good responses.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Go to a sporting good store and have them find a shoe that is right for you based on how you walk etc.
  • Mzncdiva
    Mzncdiva Posts: 16
    Options
    I have the same problem and wide feet on top of that. I went to doctor last week...he recommended Brooks and New Balance. I went to a a special store owned by a physical therapist and he watched me walk on the treadmill to fit the perfect shoe for it...it was brooks. The shoe is great but the plantar facitis is still an issue. The doctor wrapped up my feet and I go back tomorrow.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    The general athletic shoe stores are getting a lot better at this (Nike, Reebok, Adidas)

You can go to the shoe section, and then filter it for a "stablility shoe" no matter which site

What I recommend though is looking through these:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/hf-12001+10001+50144/t-Women's Shoes/ipp-48/pn-1&cp=USNS_KW_0611081618#l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/f-4294966955/hf-10001+12001+4294967132/t-Women's_Running_Shoes/ipp-48/pn-1
  • dork7760
    dork7760 Posts: 5
    Options
    Vibram shoes are wonderful! They are like being barefoot. I don't know how they would do with plantar fascittis, but I would say definetly look into them. They start around $60.00 at REI.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis too. I ALWAYS choose running shoes, no matter what exercise, because they support you better. My favorites are New Balance or Nike. You can get them at a reduced price at Kohls or Big 5 Sporting Goods. Also, you can release that tendon and make your feet feel better. It will hurt, so do it right before bed. Get some lotion and rub your feet, focusing on the tendon that runs from heel to big toe along the arch. When you find a really sore spot, press hard on that spot for at least 30 seconds to a minute. As I said, it will hurt to do this, but your feet will feel much better in the morning.
  • AtomicDarling
    Options
    I have some problems with a past injury in my left foot as well as high arches (makes me very clumsy). I got Nike's Free XT Quick Fit+ Women's Training Shoe. The soles are partitioned into triangles for maximum flexibility at all angles and easier movement. They also have this bit of stretchy fabric inside the shoe that goes across the top of your foot which helps to stop you from sliding around inside the shoe.

They're great for support and don't force my foot to bend at any uncomfortable angles. I love them and will buy them again when these get too worn out.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?sitesrc=uslp=#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-365937/pgid-337231
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've had a few friends with plantar fascitis who've had good luck with shoes designed for stability since they offer lots of support and help keep the foot from pronating. Many good brands make such shoes, New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, etc. It would probably be best to go into a specialty/athletic shoe store and get fit. Often times shoes for working out should be in a larger size than your regular shoes, and the sales people there can help you figure out what will work.
  • cbpirie
    cbpirie Posts: 15
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing. For walking, I love the new walking shoes with the rocking heel. Sketchers started with them but many others have them now. I have tried several different brands and they are all good. However they are not great for other things. I saw a catalog recently that had all kinds of shoes for plantar facaitis. I think it was called Foot smart. I reall like a good cross traing for everyday work outs. I like Avia but New Balance is good too. Unless you are running, I would stay away from running shoes. A cross trainer would serve you better. good luck!
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I found very good shoe advice in this web site:
    http://plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_shoes.html
    Take care & Good luck
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you for the great feedback.