Broccoli does NOT have more protein than eggs: A Rant

Options
I just had an argument on Facebook about protein content of broccoli vs. the protein content of eggs. The original claim was that broccoli is always a better protein option than eggs no matter how you measure. No criteria was established nor allowances made for different goals.

I have done some research, and it turns out that RAW broccoli contains far more protein than I would have guessed - 215g of RAW broccoli (6.1g protein) contains ALMOST as much protein as an egg (6.3g protein), at 74 calories for either option. After boiling, your broccoli has only 5g of protein. And we're talking about a rather large serving of broccoli - it isn't particularly calorie dense - factor whether you enjoy a huge pile of broccoli more than an egg into the equation.

While I am humbled by this discovery, and willing to cede that broccoli is a much better protein option than I had been willing to consider, I find it unfair that my combatant is unwilling to make a concession and specify that the broccoli must be in a raw state to confer the protein benefits he claims. I think that withholding that conditional element is dishonesty, and I can't seem to move on without some validation. Please validate me, people.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Lol it's like those threads where the OP asks for a good source of protein... and then there's always one person who says "NUTS ARE GREAT".

• anewday23
    anewday23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are adorable and I forgive you for believing that vegetables (or fruits or grains) don't have any protein.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Well, there's nothing wrong with eating nuts - they're just not a superior source of protein. And neither is broccoli. Amirite?
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    I certainly never said that there wasn't protein in the broccoli. It's just not as much as in eggs, and you have to eat much more of it, and it has to be RAW to even COMPARE to eggs. Did you not read the OP?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    anewday23 wrote: »
    You are adorable and I forgive you for believing that vegetables (or fruits or grains) don't have any protein.

You didn't read OP's post correctly if you think she said there was no protein in vegetables...

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe two grown adults would even debate this to such an extent . eat whichever you prefer and meet your protein goals. ( raw broccoli is the best :wink: it tastes great dipped in Italian dressing)
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I can't even believe two grown adults would even debate this to such an extent . eat whichever you prefer and meet your protein goals. ( raw broccoli is the best :wink: it tastes great dipped in Italian dressing)

But broccoli smells like farts :s
  • autumnblade75
    Options

I like broccoli pretty well, but we only buy it frozen in bags. That stuff has 5g of protein for a 1lb. bag. I have no problem eating that in one sitting, but it doesn't do much for my protein goals. A pound of raw broccoli will have the whole house smelling like farts. It is a cruciferous veggie, after all.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

No it's cabbage that smells that way
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

No it's cabbage that smells that way

They both smell funky.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

I associate it with baby poop.

I'd prefer an egg.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just had an argument on Facebook about protein content of broccoli vs. the protein content of eggs. The original claim was that broccoli is always a better protein option than eggs no matter how you measure. No criteria was established nor allowances made for different goals.

I have done some research, and it turns out that RAW broccoli contains far more protein than I would have guessed - 215g of RAW broccoli (6.1g protein) contains ALMOST as much protein as an egg (6.3g protein), at 74 calories for either option. After boiling, your broccoli has only 5g of protein. And we're talking about a rather large serving of broccoli - it isn't particularly calorie dense - factor whether you enjoy a huge pile of broccoli more than an egg into the equation.

While I am humbled by this discovery, and willing to cede that broccoli is a much better protein option than I had been willing to consider, I find it unfair that my combatant is unwilling to make a concession and specify that the broccoli must be in a raw state to confer the protein benefits he claims. I think that withholding that conditional element is dishonesty, and I can't seem to move on without some validation. Please validate me, people.

There are a lot of vegans who can get like that. Not all, but many.

It's also harder to eat that amount of broccoli raw compared to a hard boiled egg.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The nutritional content of food does change when it's cooked and the way it's prepared can make a difference, so it's always best to compare the two foods using the numbers from their cooked versions. So, I validate you. :)

Try not to fight with your friends about food. If they want to say that broccoli is always better, just let them say that. It really doesn't matter. It's not one of life's big issues, KWIM?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Where does the protein go?
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The nutritional content of food does change when it's cooked and the way it's prepared can make a difference, so it's always best to compare the two foods using the numbers from their cooked versions. So, I validate you. :)

Try not to fight with your friends about food. If they want to say that broccoli is always better, just let them say that. It really doesn't matter. It's not one of life's big issues, KWIM?

Thanks for the validation. I do appreciate it.

This guy isn't so much a friend as family - this whole post was about letting it rest on Facebook so as to keep the family peace. The protein content of broccoli isn't even the main point. The hypocrisy of telling me that I don't know anything about nutrition and telling me how misinformed I am, and then refusing to qualify that broccoli needs to be raw to compete with eggs in regards to protein content - I just can't even.

• autumnblade75
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Where does the protein go?

I can't figure out if it's destroyed by the heat or if it's in the water with the other vitamins. I tried. Either the information isn't on the internet, or my Google-fu is weak.

Either way, I trust the label on the back of my bag of frozen broccoli regarding that particular broccoli. I figure they must boil it there, and discard the goodies in the water.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Thanks for the validation. I do appreciate it.

This guy isn't so much a friend as family - this whole post was about letting it rest on Facebook so as to keep the family peace. The protein content of broccoli isn't even the main point. The hypocrisy of telling me that I don't know anything about nutrition and telling me how misinformed I am, and then refusing to qualify that broccoli needs to be raw to compete with eggs in regards to protein content - I just can't even.

Is the egg raw?

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I just had an argument on Facebook

There's your problem.

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This thread is a breath of fresh air on the forums tonight and I needed it! You all win the interwebz! :heart:
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Lol at this entire thread and the premise of it.

Eggs > Broccoli from a protein standpoint.

Not even counting the weight of the foods to offer the same protein value, but the bioavailability of the protein in an egg is far greater.