Build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Options
How can I do that?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Look up recomp. Eat at maintenance, lift heavy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Since the best way to increase the size of your muscles is to eat enough calories to get the job done and since losing weight requires eating fewer calories than you need, the two don't walk hand-in-hand a lot.

It really depends on which one you want more - losing weight or making big muscles.

If you want to lose weight and keep your muscles, lift the weights while you lose. You may see some increase, but not the kind you'd get if you were eating more.

People who get really into it will overeat for periods while they build muscle ("bulking") and then undereat to starve off the excess fat they gained ("cutting.") There are endless ideas out there about how to do this, getting into all sorts of things, but the major factor is calories.
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I managed to gain 1.5 kg of muscle in 2 weeks while losing 3 kg if fat - it is possible to do both
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I managed to gain 1.5 kg of muscle in 2 weeks while losing 3 kg if fat - it is possible to do both

No...you didn't. I can guarantee it
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Some cycle you're on there.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

What did you take? Deca? Serostim?? Some more test???

8 HOUR ARM WORKOUT INCOMINGGGGGGGGGGG

Seriously... 1.5kg in a deficit, especially for a woman, is a huge amount. I bet my newly bought quest bars that you used one of those electrical impedance machines to calculate your body fat percentage and muscle mass.. they're incredibly inaccurate.
  • cityruss
    Options

Seriously... 1.5kg in a deficit, especially for a woman, is a huge amount. I bet my newly bought quest bars that you used one of those electrical impedance machines to calculate your body fat percentage and muscle mass.. they're incredibly inaccurate.

35wauk95l7sd.jpg
    POP.jpg 83.4K
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

35wauk95l7sd.jpg

IDOD?

Am I just being stupid?

Derp on my behalf.
  • cityruss
    Options
    Dunno, I think it's a bit broken. If you crane your neck at a certain angle when looking at it it's trying to tell me my BMR is 1868.

Either that or it's trying to spell out idiot to me every time I use it.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You know, I'm not really sure why so many people assume that if you want to burn fat and build muscles it means that you want to build "big muscles." It is possible to create muscle and, by extension, reduce fat without having to eat at a caloric excess and exclusively lifting weights.

I have been successfully working on changing my body composition with slow weight loss over the last few months. I eat at a deficit and exercise A LOT with a good mix of strength and cardio: Walking/running 3-5 days a week, tae kwon do twice a week, along with strength training 4 days a week (did a loose application of Starting Strength to start, and am now doing Wendler 5-3-1 along with just starting some Olympic weight lifting classes). I have been making steady gains in my weight lifting, and my running has improved a lot (not quickly, but steadily). The number on the scale hasn't changed dramatically, but I can tell just from looking in the mirror that my body shape is changing. I can see much more muscle tone and definition and less pudginess around the waist, "love handles", etc. My pants are fitting different - loose in the waist, but tight in the thighs because of the increased muscle there.

Now, I know I'm not going to build "big muscles" this way, but I am absolutely changing my body composition to less fat and more muscle. I had a baseline body fat analysis done last week so I can start documenting my progress with periodic tests. I know it will take time, and I'm okay with that.

So, based on my own personal experience - YES, YOU CAN. Unless you ARE wanting to build "big muscles" like a body builder, in which case the others are correct in that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible to do that at the same time as losing weight/fat. :smile:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't think a 35 year old woman could gain 3.3 pounds of muscle in two weeks even using the best roids money can buy.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm not really sure why so many people assume that if you want to burn fat and build muscles it means that you want to build "big muscles." It is possible to create muscle and, by extension, reduce fat without having to eat at a caloric excess and exclusively lifting weights.

I have been successfully working on changing my body composition with slow weight loss over the last few months. I eat at a deficit and exercise A LOT with a good mix of strength and cardio: Walking/running 3-5 days a week, tae kwon do twice a week, along with strength training 4 days a week (did a loose application of Starting Strength to start, and am now doing Wendler 5-3-1 along with just starting some Olympic weight lifting classes). I have been making steady gains in my weight lifting, and my running has improved a lot (not quickly, but steadily). The number on the scale hasn't changed dramatically, but I can tell just from looking in the mirror that my body shape is changing. I can see much more muscle tone and definition and less pudginess around the waist, "love handles", etc. My pants are fitting different - loose in the waist, but tight in the thighs because of the increased muscle there.

Now, I know I'm not going to build "big muscles" this way, but I am absolutely changing my body composition to less fat and more muscle. I had a baseline body fat analysis done last week so I can start documenting my progress with periodic tests. I know it will take time, and I'm okay with that.

So, based on my own personal experience - YES, YOU CAN.

there have actually been several posts here talking about re-comp....not sure what you're ranting about
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Panone2 wrote: »
    How can I do that?

this depends on a number of factors. for one, if you have a good deal of fat on you to lose, you can build some muscle mass in a deficit as you would have enough fat to provide the energy required for muscle growth...if you aren't overweight to obese, it's probably not going to happen because your fat stores are insufficient to provide the requisite energy...your fat stores will be providing energy to more important things like basic bodily functionings.

secondly, if you're new to the weight room, you can experience noob gains...these are fairly modest and don't go on forever.

thirdly, as has been discussed, you could do a re-comp which is basically eating at or slightly below maintenance while lifting...this is an extremely slow process...so much so that I really have never viewed it as a deliberate act but rather a bi-product of eating well and regular exercise. I've been in maintenance for over two years and I will basically be re-comping into perpetuity...because I eat well and workout regularly...so my body is constantly changing, albeit very, very, very, very slowly.

if you're wanting to put on any kind of significant muscle mass, you would have to eat at a calorie surplus...the same mechanism (overeating) that makes you fat, also packs on muscle mass. the most efficient way of putting on muscle and cutting fat is to do cycles of cutting and bulking.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So, based on my own personal experience - YES, YOU CAN.

there have actually been several posts here talking about re-comp....not sure what you're ranting about

Not ranting. Just sharing my own thoughts and experience to help the OP find some helpful information.

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Agreed. I just did my monthly bod pod.
    Lost 2.8 lbs fat but gained 4.2 lbs LBM
    It can be done in a deficit
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »

Agreed. I just did my monthly bod pod.
    Lost 2.8 lbs fat but gained 4.2 lbs LBM
    It can be done in a deficit

you gained 4.2lb of muscle in 1 month, or just between your bod pod analysis dates?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Muscle doesn't burn fat. Muscle burns a handful of calories per pound per day. Some of those calories will probably be drawn from fat if you're in a deficit.
  • effervescence1
    effervescence1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You really can't lose weight and gain weight at the same time. First work on reducing your body fat %, then start building muscle through strength training!

Actually you can, in a three month period, I gained 12 pounds of muscle but had a net weight loss of 12 pounds. That means I lost 25 pounds of fat/water while gaining muscle. My doctors office uses a body composition analyzer. I crossfit 2-3x per week, take 5 hours of high level dance classes and I am in the Colorguard for a DCA open class drum corps with 12-18 hours of rehearsal per weekend.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    How is it that every 30-something woman in the world who can gain a pound of muscle a week posts here?

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that a 38 year old woman isn't gaining a pound of muscle a week.