Build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Options
13»

Replies

• Branmartin1
    Branmartin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Panone2 wrote: »
    How can I do that?
    This is actually very possible. It requires a lot of energy for your body to sustain skeletal muscle. That is why when you stop working out your muscle reduce in size quickly. Because your body doesn't want to waste precious energy on something it is not using. Where I'm going with this is when you increase the muscle mass in your body, (increase at a healthy rate) your body will actually burn more calories just trying to sustain the additional muscle mass. Therefore if you keep your calories at maintenance (or even deficit) your body will use up fat stores in order to support its "need for additional skeletal muscle". However, the gains will be slower than if you were to focus purely on gaining size (eating more, less care for losing body fat).
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you lift weights correctly, you will build muscle. If you are eating at a deficit, the necessary energy comes from your stored fat so your fat stores decrease in size and you will look smaller. Now, if the question is will I look like a bodybuilder, then the answer is probably not until long hours of work after losing all the excess weight. Building muscle is not the same thing as body building. When you lift the right amount of weight, you cause tiny tears in your muscle. When these are repaired, the muscle increases in size. It takes time to do this, which is why you don't want to exercise the same muscle groups every day.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you lift weights correctly, you will build muscle. If you are eating at a deficit, the necessary energy comes from your stored fat so your fat stores decrease in size and you will look smaller. Now, if the question is will I look like a bodybuilder, then the answer is probably not until long hours of work after losing all the excess weight. Building muscle is not the same thing as body building. When you lift the right amount of weight, you cause tiny tears in your muscle. When these are repaired, the muscle increases in size. It takes time to do this, which is why you don't want to exercise the same muscle groups every day.

Depends on how much body fat you have, I believe?

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    I managed to gain 1.5 kg of muscle in 2 weeks while losing 3 kg if fat - it is possible to do both

Agreed. I just did my monthly bod pod.
    Lost 2.8 lbs fat but gained 4.2 lbs LBM
    It can be done in a deficit

you gained 4.2lb of muscle in 1 month, or just between your bod pod analysis dates?
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I managed to gain 1.5 kg of muscle in 2 weeks while losing 3 kg if fat - it is possible to do both

Wait, isn't that an overall gain? What makes you think you were in a deficit?

LBM isn't just muscle.

Yes the results were for a 1 month period and it was an overall gain in weight.
    LBM is everything NOT bodyfat, and thats what I said the increase was LBM.
    The OP's question was, is it possible and yes it is.
    What "makes me think" I am eating at a deficit? Really. Stick to topic.
    How do you reconcile an overall gain in weight with eating in a deficit?

you gained 4.2lb of muscle in 1 month, or just between your bod pod analysis dates?

LBM isn't just muscle.

Maybe he was blood doping?

Put 4lb's of blood into his body amirite?

rite guys??

rite?

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

Nutritional periodization, cyclical dieting. It is "possible", which was the question. Is it likely the average joe will replicate "my" results? No, everyone is DIFFERENT, genetics, diet composition.

Care to post any scientific studies stating its not possible?
    You cant

And I can't find any evidence on the world being run by lizard people either... weird.

Thought so.
    A simple google search will give you countless websites itemizing the criteria that losing fat and gaining muscle or LBM can happen.
    If you wish to speculate about my results we can continue this convo elsewhere.

A simple google search will also give you countless websites telling you how to detox your body with coffee enemas and other crap.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Very much, yes. Your body doesn't like wasting precious energy on building more muscles, especially at a deficit. They take more energy to keep up, they are less energy dense as a fuel source, all stuff your body doesn't want in a situation in which it already needs to use up stores just to keep your body running.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Very much, yes. Your body doesn't like wasting precious energy on building more muscles, especially at a deficit. They take more energy to keep up, they are less energy dense as a fuel source, all stuff your body doesn't want in a situation in which it already needs to use up stores just to keep your body running.

So if someone has a body fat percentage of 40, they're more likely to build some muscle in a deficit compared to someone who has a 20% body fat?

Granted, it wouldn't be a lot, just a small amount
  • stevencloser
    Options
    For the record, I was at a deficit for a year and maintenance for a good part of another year. In that time I gained maybe 5-10 pounds of muscle, and that's a big maybe and I rather think it's on the lower side than the higher one.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    I don't have a scientific answer - but from personal experience it is true... recomp is pretty easy in people who are not in shape.

Again, at some point it is not possible to gain one without the other, and I pray I get to that point one day. :-)

Recently I lost a lot of fat and gained muscle - unfortunately I never did a body fat % test first, so I can't give #s.

R

I don't think anyone will argue that at the beginning of exercise there is some muscle added while fat loss occurred but it is not a huge amount.
    What most people think is muscle building is actually fat loss which exposed unlying muscle, giving a more muscular look.

Yup.
  • stevencloser
    Options

So if someone has a body fat percentage of 40, they're more likely to build some muscle in a deficit compared to someone who has a 20% body fat?

I think so. And someone at 10-15% can basically forget it outright.
    You need to look at it from the evolutionary aspect. Your body doesn't know you're trying to lose fat on purpose, all it knows is that you're not taking in enough energy to keep your body running as is. The last thing it wants to do in that situation is make you use up even more energy by building more muscle mass.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

LBM isn't just muscle.

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

Nutritional periodization, cyclical dieting. It is "possible", which was the question. Is it likely the average joe will replicate "my" results? No, everyone is DIFFERENT, genetics, diet composition.

You cant

And I can't find any evidence on the world being run by lizard people either... weird.

Thought so.
    A simple google search will give you countless websites itemizing the criteria that losing fat and gaining muscle or LBM can happen.

A simple google search will also give you countless websites telling you how to detox your body with coffee enemas and other crap.

Yes. "Overfat" people (using Lyle Mcdonald's words) can build muscle in a deficit. From the anecdotal info I've seen, re comping at a higher body fat is also easier than at a lower body fat %. I'm talking about 26-30ish % for a woman so in an average to high average range, not obese range.
  • Panone2
    Panone2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My body fat is 24% and I don't want to lose that much fat. Maybe just drop a pants size or two. I'm not looking to become a body builder. I just want a more tone look. So if I do cardio and strength training and eat 1200-1400 calories a day will that help me reach my goal?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    My body fat is 24% and I don't want to lose that much fat. Maybe just drop a pants size or two. I'm not looking to become a body builder. I just want a more tone look. So if I do cardio and strength training and eat 1200-1400 calories a day will that help me reach my goal?

Are you male or female?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Assuming 1200-1400 calories puts you in an overall caloric deficit or at maintenence, yes.
  • Panone2
    Panone2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a female and 1200-1400 is a calorie deficit for me
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will help. If you use your muscles, they're going to respond. That's what they do. :)

Remember that weight lifting isn't just for bodybuilders and 22 year old guys who want to get all beefy. It's good for everyone. Even if you don't want bigger muscles, it's good for your bones, etc. I certainly don't want bigger muscles and I do it. :)
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

LBM isn't just muscle.

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

You cant

Thought so.

And coffee enemas relates to the topic how?
    Not even a "nice try".

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    I don't have a scientific answer - but from personal experience it is true... recomp is pretty easy in people who are not in shape.

Again, at some point it is not possible to gain one without the other, and I pray I get to that point one day. :-)

Recently I lost a lot of fat and gained muscle - unfortunately I never did a body fat % test first, so I can't give #s.

R

I don't think anyone will argue that at the beginning of exercise there is some muscle added while fat loss occurred but it is not a huge amount.
    What most people think is muscle building is actually fat loss which exposed unlying muscle, giving a more muscular look.

Or they confuse strength gains with muscle gains. Quite a bit of strength gains in the beginning are due to CNS activation (i.e. your central nervous system activating more of your existing muscle) not actual muscle synthesis/gain.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

LBM isn't just muscle.

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

You cant

Thought so.

Not even a "nice try".

How? Google it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

LBM isn't just muscle.

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

LBM isn't just muscle.

rite guys??

rite?

You cant

Thought so.

I believe his point was that "a simple Google search," while it will definitely yield information, may yield some less than scientifically credible information. Happy to help.