It's Sunday! Who's preppin'?!

nrd5phvreqdv.jpg

wl82h99k85pi.jpg

30qz173x7vtp.jpg

tm852fah17jh.jpg

09sgqqs9russ.jpg

qab9eqjfjrd6.jpg

Hope my husband likes his princess snack bags this week. I'm sure his gym/work buddies will. Haha

Replies

• lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Now THAT'S preparation! Well done! Hoping that one day I'll have this much discipline :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    That looks great. But ew, no. Not today.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Wow - I'm impressed! Are those lunches and dinners?
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    edited September 2015
    @zdyb23456 My husband works full time & is in school, too. I do his breakfast, lunch & dinners for the week. I also prep dinners for me & our (4) tween/teen-age kiddos. I have to or we'd be ordering pizza every night. My days start at 4:15 & I'm on the go with the kids (school, practices, games, volunteer/work schedules, youth group & whatever else they have going on) until well past dinner time usually. It's insane! Meal prep is a necessity in our house.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Thats great! We are retired, the Navy killed my husbands' taste buds years ago, so I pre-cook some of my stuff. Mostly just cooking up a chicken then simmering it with carrots and celery. Then I strain it and put into 1/2 cup containers. I put in 1 oz of chicken in each. That is my basis for alot of my soups during the week.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    edited September 2015
    @zdyb23456 My husband works full time & is in school, too. I do his breakfast, lunch & dinners for the week. I also prep dinners for me & our (4) tween/teen-age kiddos. I have to or we'd be ordering pizza every night. My days start at 4:15 & I'm on the go with the kids (school, practices, games, volunteer/work schedules, youth group & whatever else they have going on) until well past dinner time usually. It's insane! Meal prep is a necessity in our house.

Girl, you dont look old enough to have teenagers!

This all looks so wonderful. I just had the lightbulb go off today, and I'm realizing my lack of any sort of food prep is what's caused me to get to this weight. i've never planned a dinner in my whole life! I am excited, and a little nervous. But I suppose if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Keep up the great work! Can I ask how long this all took you? And all this food, is it for a family of 6 for a week??
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Looks so amazeballs. First time actually prepping on a Sunday. Making some Roasted Red Pepper, Turmeric, and Cauliflower soup. Can last until Thursday til I get some more.

Then doing a Mushroom, Butter Lettuce, Raducchio, grape, and chia seed side salad as well.

Quite excited lol.

I never prep just have whats either leftover or make something right on the stove, microwave, or oven. Or wait til someone else makes something. Nice to do something in advance.
  • JustChristy79
    @ditsyblond17 Aw, thank you! :smile:

The portioned meals are mostly for my husband. I freeze the extras for when the kids are hungry & I'm not around. But most nights I use bulk prepped foods to make dinner for whoever is home.

For example, I'll throw precooked chicken on tortillas with fresh veggies to make tacos. At least once a week I heat up precooked ground turkey, add a jar of sauce & boil some wheat pasta for spaghetti. I also keep fresh fruit & veggies ready to go for side dishes. We always throw some turkey dogs on the BBQ when we're done grilling the chicken, too. The kids heat them up for after school snacks, etc. and I always do one pan of enchiladas to have on hand in the freezer, so when games run late I can call home & have someone throw it in the oven.

qxrwxxvp6irp.jpg

Takes me about 4 hours every Sunday (including weighing & logging all his food for him), but I turn on some blues music & pop open a beer. I don't really mind doing it. I actually like cooking.

• JustChristy79
    @lingo10 yay!!!!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    as long as its a great craft beer @JustChristy79 ....Im from Oregon...its important to us...hahahaha
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Takes me about 4 hours every Sunday (including weighing & logging all his food for him), but I turn on some blues music & pop open a beer. I don't really mind doing it. I actually like cooking.
    Jeez, I am so jealous of your husband!!! I hope he wicked appreciates the time and effort you put into getting these meals ready to go for the week...

I pre-make my lunches on Sundays for the week, but it's always the same thing (makes logging pretty darn easy). PB and honey on Fiber One bread, one serving of pretzel sticks, one serving of Oreos, and an apple. Not the most glamorous meal, but it only takes me about 20 minutes to make a week's worth. I put it all in one big freezer bag and pull out what I need for the day before I head to work. Every little minute in the morning I spend on getting ready is accounted for, and those 4-5 minutes NOT spend making a lunch helps me get out on time...

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    I wish I could pay someone to come and do mine for me. I'm not a big fan of cooking (in general), but I love it when I get my prep meals done with...I usually do it two times per week. I really enjoy seeing pics of other people's prep work. Looks nice!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Seriously impressive. I wish I could wrap my head around how to do anything near similar. Well done!
  • JustChristy79
    I posted a picture of his meals on my FB a while back. I had several marriage proposals. Haha

@Redbeard333 Yes, he appreciates it very much & does many, many nice things for me. : )

@RunRachelleRun Try cooking double of everything & eating the leftovers the next night. It's an easy way to reduce your cooking by half. That's a great start!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited September 2015
    For your chicken/veg/rice dishes - do you freeze? Or refrigerator?

And is there a secret to reheating chicken? I always feel like the texture and smell is weird when reheated.
  • barbara30324
    barbara30324 Posts: 9 Member
    Impressive! Wow and inspiring.
  • JustChristy79
    Both. I reheat by popping one corner of the lid open & throwing it in the microwave. By trapping the moisture, it steams it. Doesn't take long to heat it. Tastes & smells good to me. : )
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    I posted a picture of his meals on my FB a while back. I had several marriage proposals. Haha

@Redbeard333 Yes, he appreciates it very much & does many, many nice things for me. : )

@RunRachelleRun Try cooking double of everything & eating the leftovers the next night. It's an easy way to reduce your cooking by half. That's a great start!

Thanks! I am able to double one meal, but the planning involved in what you are doing for multiple lunches and dinners is astounding. Really well done!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I did make 8 servings of coconut curry chicken with rice and 6 servings of sausage ravioli with pesto. I cut up an cantaloupe and steamed a whole bunch of veggies. I'm good for the week.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Looks great! I did mine yesterday. Every other Saturday I make 10 vegan dinners for my husband and I (approx enough for 2 weeks plus lots of leftovers for lunch). Surprisingly it saves us tons of money (from spending $200 to spending $70 every two weeks). The more often I do it, the faster it takes me... between 2-4 hours. It's a love/hate relationship though. I hate spending the morning cooking, but I love having to only heat up dinner when I get home.