Old Sayings

Options
Maximus
Maximus Posts: 12,256 Member
I just remembered an old saying "The Rabbit Died"

I remember as a kid, a friend of my mom's telling her that "the rabbit died" and both of them jumping up and down excited over the news. I was left wondering, who gets excited because a rabbit died?

What memories do you have with old sayings like that?

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of that one!! What does it mean???
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it means someone's going to have a baby
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I just looked it up!! hahahahaha!
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Lol, whaaaaaaaaaat? :noway: What a morbid saying for happy news...
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    my dad used to tell me....don't let your mouth write a cheque that your a** can't cash,
    best money advice ever! :wink:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Remember the MASH episode where they used Radar's rabbit to see if Houlihan (I think it was her) was pregnant?
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Madder then a wet hen.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I just looked it up!! hahahahaha!

I guess back then they would inject the rabbit with something from you. If the rabbit died, then you were pregnant.
    WOW! How interesting!!!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    LMAO.....madder then a wet hen.....that's too funny :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Remember the MASH episode where they used Radar's rabbit to see if Houlihan (I think it was her) was pregnant?

That's right! What would they inject? Blood?

Wikipedia is my friend.... They would inject the woman's urine into the rabbit, then a few days later, they'd remove the rabbit's ovaries to see if they changed.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    To DROP SOMEONE OFF.
    I remember the first time I heard this I was about 3 years old.
    We where taking my FAVORITE Grandmother back to her house, and I asked Mom what we where doing.
    She said that first we had to "DROP GRANDMOTHER OFF" Then we where going to the store.
    I started to cry. To ME to drop something ment that you where going to DROP IT. in this case GRANDMA! I said (More like SCREAMED.) that if Mom wanted to hurt Grandmother that I would rather not go shopping. It took Mom and Grandmother a bit of time to understand what I was SOOOoooooo upset!
    Also there is one that My Mom uses to this day.
    6 in one 1/2 dozen in another.
    Why can't she just say it is the same thing?
    --Diann...
  • pettmybunny
    Options

That's right! What would they inject? Blood?

Wikipedia is my friend.... They would inject the woman's urine into the rabbit, then a few days later, they'd remove the rabbit's ovaries to see if they changed.

Oh!

Yup... They could have removed the ovaries without killing the rabbit, but was generally considered too expensive and wasteful. So... Even if the woman wasn't preggers, the rabbit died
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Don't bend over in the shower.
    Personal experience Max?? :huh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    LMAO.....madder then a wet hen.....that's too funny :laugh:

Running around like a chicken with its head cut off is another of the farm ones I grew up around.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When my dad is deciding between two options that are similar he always says, "Well, it's a horse a piece." Or, another good one is "It's half a dozen of one and six of the other." Again, two decisions that are similar. Boy, we must have a lot of decisions that are similar!

And, one of my favorites from my childhood..."Why use your a** when you can use your head!" (in reference to using a John Deere wood splitter instead of splitting the wood by hand with an ax!)