Thinking ahead for our First Half-Marathon

Options
Hi, fellow runners, my husband and I have signed up for our first half-marathon in March 2016 and we also signed up for a 5k in Thanksgiving. We would like to start to be more intentional with our running and get prepared, particularly for the half-marathon.

So, a little of our running background:
- My husband started running at the end of last year and I started a few months before him.
- We ran a few 5k races and both of our PR was in our last race in June. His PR 27:01 and mine 26:04.
- The farthest we've run was 5 miles in May.
- We've only made it to run twice a week recently, mostly at a pace of 10 min mile, 3 miles each.

I know we have slacked (that's why we signed up for races :blush: ) And we probably should first increase our runs to 3x/week and then make one of those long runs. We should also add in some strength training, I believe. I suppose this should be good enough for us until our upcoming 5k, and we still have more than 3 months to train for the HM after Thanksgiving, am I right?

For the HM, I have searched around here and saw these plans:

Hal Higdon's Novice Plan
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/3-day-half-marathon-training-plan?nopaging=1

Two of them have recommended pace based on previous race time, do they look like a good reference? Or, are they there for more experienced runners? This is our first HM, it is definitely more important for us to get to the starting line and finish it. On the other hand, having a good reference pace could also help us not to run too fast too soon... So, should we set a goal pace as suggested? Also, if my husband and I continue to run in similar pace, is it pretty safe for us to train/practice together? Do we need a heart rate monitor to keep tracked if we are running too hard?

Any other advice/suggestions?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Forget targeting a pace. Make your own and see where it takes you. You will have much less chance of injury that way. I don't like either of the Runners World links you have here. Tempo/speed runs are not necessary when you are starting out.

For HM races and longer, the key is your weekly totals. You need to build more each week and end the week with a long run. Most plans have you run at least one 12 mile long run about 2 weeks before your race.

I've heard that Higdon's plan is good but I can't say for sure since I never really tried it. I personally have a trainer (through a charity group that I raised funds for). You could check into something like that or you can check around at your local running store to see if they offer any training.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Higdons is supposed to be good. But you could always map it out and then just use it as a general guideline with flexibility for your specific needs built in.

Also, pro tip: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT eat a cheeseburger the night before your half. Just...it's not good.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are running injury free right now, and based on your 5km PBs, I wouldn't consider you as "starting out" but clearly you have a lot of volume (distance) building to do and that should be your focus at this time and for the next two or three months. Make this time all about building cumulative volume each week -- all done at a slower training pace (i.e. 10 minute miles provided you two can still carry on a conversation at that pace) -- which will get your body used to the increased time on your feet, the stresses, and will build endurance. Increase your weekly run volume steadily.

Don't jack up your long runs too fast - many suggest no more than 10% a week but you know you.

Until you get a good base of volume built up... avoid speed work. Focus on running with good form. Remain injury free. If your marathon course has hills, incorporate hills into every day running at least 1 of 3 runs. Personally I run hills whenever as it is hilly where I live.

Once that base of volume is built and you are regularly running 10+ miles you should still have plenty of time to dial in your training for the half; follow a formal plan if you want, incorporate speed work, etc.

Have fun!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Those training plans look more intermediate than beginner. Most beginner plans don't include tempo ... just increasing distance with about three days per week running.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I agree with the first response. Work on weekly mileage. Add 10% of each current mileage into the next week. Make the long run between 25-35% of your weekly mileage. So you will want to spread the miles out a bit as you increase. The pace you want to be at is "conversational". That means you should be able to hold a conversation as you are running. If you have trouble breathing and talking then you are going too fast. If running by yourself a good test is try reciting your ABC's out loud or single the happy birthday song out loud. Once you reach your goal mileage (shoot between 30-35 miles) then you can add a fartlek session once or try a week plus the long run. Fartlek means speedplay and are just random short increases in speed as you run. You can google it. By the way, you can start right away. You dont have to wait to train for the half. It would even be good training for the 5K at your level.

Edited: I didn't see your response @mwyvr Good response. Very similar to what I said.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Also, beer. Don't forget beer.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've used Hal Higdon's plans for all my half and full marathons. He provides plans for various distance and at least three experience levels (Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced) for each distance. Each plan has a description of who the plan is intended for followed by descriptions for the terms used in the plan. Hal also has a regular Ask Hal article on Trainingpeaks.com.

Work on strength now to build a good base before you start the HM plan in December. The increased strength will help you maintain form during your runs.

First HM your goal is to finish, because it will automatically be a PR. Next HM you can set goal time. Since this should be a fun run, train with your husband and run the race with him. Agree ahead of time if you will finish together or if it's everyone for themselves for the last couple of miles. Next HM if you decide to each run your own race, then you can do the easy runs together and the hard/long runs separate.

I have a Garmin GPS watch with HRM that I use for all my runs and bike rides. However you don't need a HRM to tell if you are running to hard. If you can carry on a conversation then you are not going to hard. I tend to only look at heart rate on particularly hard runs or if I feel bad or unexpectedly fatigued to see if my hr is spiking. I would recommend a GPS device so that you don't need to pre or post measure your runs.

Good luck on your upcoming races.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Also, pro tip: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT eat a cheeseburger the night before your half. Just...it's not good.

We need a "like" button.....

Echoing the others.......don't worry about pace this time around. Build your mileage up gradually (I like Higdon's plans too) and don't forget to x-train (strength, cycling, swimming etc)

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all the advice! In terms of pace, I guess I mostly worry about running too fast too soon. And it looks like we run most of our regular runs too fast - we are not talking LOL. So, I guess we first need to learn to run slower without relying on the App voice feedback to tell us our pace :)

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions for some of you:

@mwyvr, when you said "you are regularly running 10+ miles", did you mean weekly miles? Or, making one of the runs 10 miles? To run 10 miles once a week just seem so out of the world for me right now, but then, @Stoshew71 said to aim at 30-35 weekly miles... I was thinking of increasing our weekly runs to 3 times a week first. Then, make one long run, gradually increase the long run to 6 miles and the other two 3 miles each. Is this a good enough base of volume? You also mentioned hill runs. Would you say, for the beginning at least, those does not have to be the long runs?

@trswallow, do you have any recommendation for strength training? I definitely wanted to add swimming too. But I guess we should add these after we have a good base mileage too, right?

Thank you once again for your help and advice!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I used one of Hal's half plans last year. I don't recall the one I used having pace recs. I'd have ignored it anyway. I'd never raced before. Jumped straight from C25K to half training.

His plan works great. Keeps you from over-reaching on the distance increases. I completed it on time, without injury. I did the last 13 mile training run (actually did 14 just because I felt like it) at about 10min/mi, which was my comfortable 3 mile pace when I first started.

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you want to get to 30+ miles per week, you either need to run 4-5x per week or do a TON of cross training on your off days.

When I was running a lot more than I am now, this was a typical week training for a half (bear in mind I like volume a lot more than speed work):

Monday: 5 miles, easy
    Tuesday: 8 miles, easy
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: 6 miles, interval or tempo
    Friday: 4 miles, easy
    Saturday: 10 miles
    Sunday: rest
    Total: 34 miles

Now, life sometimes intervened and I would drop either the 4 or 5 milers. But I definitely found a huge increase in endurance when I added 8 miles midweek. It boosted my long runs big time.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I did my first half-marathon with Team in Training with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The training program is great and the coaches are so supportive and spectacular.

I'm currently training for my 6th half-marathon (my 4th with TNT) and my husband has registered as well. This will be his first! I've got him running intervals with me and we're going for his first 10-miler tomorrow morning.

PS: If you'd like to make a donation to LLS, send me a message :wink: It's a great cause!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    I did my first half-marathon with Team in Training with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The training program is great and the coaches are so supportive and spectacular.

I'm currently training for my 6th half-marathon (my 4th with TNT) and my husband has registered as well. This will be his first! I've got him running intervals with me and we're going for his first 10-miler tomorrow morning.

PS: If you'd like to make a donation to LLS, send me a message :wink: It's a great cause!

Agreed 1000%. That is who I run with as well.

GO TEAM!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    @mwyvr, when you said "you are regularly running 10+ miles", did you mean weekly miles? Or, making one of the runs 10 miles? To run 10 miles once a week just seem so out of the world for me right now, but then, @Stoshew71 said to aim at 30-35 weekly miles...

I think Stan and I are saying essentially the same thing - when your weekly running volume gets to be up near 30 - 35 miles, your longer runs will probably be at or approaching 10 miles. At that point you've got a good base built up, your stride and form have likely naturally improved quite a bit, and you can start to mix in other elements like fartleks.

That 10 mile long run looks like a lot right now, but don't worry about it! Provided you keep going from now, you have plenty of time to ramp up your volume slowly and safely before your event next March. It won't seem so long once you've been running 10km and then 12 and then 14. It will seem long if you don't build endurance along the way which is why that is job #1 right now.

Really work hard, right away, on slowing down to a conversational pace. For sure you'll find this helps. Yes your runs will take a bit longer but you will find that the slower pace helps you take shorter strides, reduces the risk of injury, and allows you to run longer distances. It's hard to believe you still get all the endurance benefits... but it's true!

As for hills, this is just my opinion but if your area or the event course is hilly, I'd incorporate hills whenever. Now. A month from now no later. But the conversational pace rule remains, hills or no hills. In the early going you probably should walk the steeper longer hills - try to maintain the conversation while going up and if you can't, walk. There is no shame in that. Avoid having your heart race away; if you need to, take a recovery breather at the top, and restart your run when you can maintain that conversational pace again. You'll find over time that you can battle those hills and win every time and that will be a big confidence advantage on race day.
  • trswallow
    Options
    I used StrongLifts 5x5. When I start lifting last September I had not been running for a while due to a knee problem. The deep squats helped with the knee rehab. When I started running again in October I had better form than before and once even though I did not have my previous endurance I managed to have my previous average pace for short 3 to 5 mile runs. Once I built my endurance back up I was running at a faster pace than I had before and I quickly progressed up to 10+ mile runs.

I started training for an April marathon in January and modified my lifting routine. The main change was to do 3x10 on the squats and trying to maintain leg strength instead of increasing it. Unfortunately as my mileage went up sleep became more important than getting up early enough to lift before work, so I had to decrease my weight.

This is why I said to work on building a strength base now. Once you start your real HM training you might need to shift to maintaining strength instead of increasing.

To work up to running 10 miles you could follow a 10 mile training plan which should build you up to 10 miles in around two months. Being able to run 10 miles will actually help your 5k time for your Thanksgiving race. The general wisdom is that for shorter distances the best way to improve performance is to increase distance, because you can then run the shorter distance at a higher intensity.

I agree with Mwyvr about slowing down. When I was in my twenties I would always go out and run 3 to 4 miles hard, but I never managed to progress to longer distances because I was gassing myself out and breaking my body down. When I started running again in my mid-thirties I learned that each run should have a purpose. Some runs should be done fast to stress your body and trigger certain adaptations and others should be done slower to aid in recovery or long slow runs to burn out muscle glycogen and force your body to adapt to using fat to power your run. I became a better runner, in terms of distance and speed, in my thirties than I was in my twenties.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone again for your advice.

Thanks, @questionfear for your sample workout plan. It gave me perspective. Also, thanks for your advice on food, we probably need more of those advice when our mileage get more serious.

Thanks, @mwyvr for taking the time to answer my questions. The mileage is a lot, together with a slower pace, it is a lot time dedicated to running! Perhaps, I should stop thinking about it too much right now and it may feel more doable as our mileage increases... Not too long ago, we were complete couch potatoes. A little movement would have caused us to breathe heavy. We will definitely work on finding that conversational pace now. As for hills, the HM that we signed up for has an elevation of almost 300 feet spread over mile 8 to mile 10.5, approximately, if I read the elevation chart correctly. I purposely found a more flat route for our usual run and it still has a total gain of about 150 ft. In my neighborhood, it would be easy for us to find routes with more elevations. On some of these slopes, I still breathe pretty heavy while walking uphill with friends! It is just a matter of breaking that mental block of running hills :) BTW, do you have a take on cross training?

Thanks, @trswallow, for taking the time to answer my questions. I actually tried SL 5x5 earlier this year. But with summer came, schools out, kids home and visitors, I didn't make it to the gym. Looking back, it might be part of why I was able to achieve that PR in June. I probably should restart, I just don't have confident that I can maintain it through holidays and stuff like that...
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Congratulations on making a big lifestyle shift!

Your thought on over-thinking things right now is right on - don't go there! Keep on building slowly and you'll get to where you need to be almost like magic, thanks to the great head start you have to your planned event.

Regular training runs and gentle increases in distance pay off big time. Long before race day comes up - two or three more months I'd bet - you'll be looking back amazed at how much progress you've made with big grins stuck to your face. All these fitness gains are going to pay off in everything you do.
  • trswallow
    Options
    Thanks, @trswallow, for taking the time to answer my questions. I actually tried SL 5x5 earlier this year. But with summer came, schools out, kids home and visitors, I didn't make it to the gym. Looking back, it might be part of why I was able to achieve that PR in June. I probably should restart, I just don't have confident that I can maintain it through holidays and stuff like that...
    I understand that sometimes life happens. I have not lifted in over two months. I did a triathlon at the end of August and participated in a fitness challenge that ran all summer, so lifting took a back seat. The same thing happened leading up to my April marathon. I plan on restarting this week. I will set my weight to half way between my last weight and the SL starting weight ( 45 lb. bar). The first several sessions will be used to determine what weight I should be training with, so if the first couple sets are easy I will increase the weight for the remaining sets or I will increase the weight by 10 pounds between sessions instead of the normal 5 pound increase. Once I reach the point where I fail a set or where I use a single weight for 5x5 and it is a challenge on the last set then I know what weight to use for normal progression from that point.

If I am unable to lift three times a week, then I don't stress out about it. If it has been a week or less since the last time that I did a lift ( ex. bench press), then I will attempt the normal progression ( plus 5 lbs if last session was successful). If it has been 2 weeks then I will lift the same weight that I previously lifted and if it was been longer then I will deload.

Don't let the fear of what might happen prevent you from starting. As long as you can occasionally lift you should be able to maintain strength above when you started lifting. You could also look into some of the Strength Training for Runners articles, which usually layout a body weight program that can be done in 15 - 20 minutes.
    BTW, do you have a take on cross training?
    Cross training is not mandatory, no one is going to stand behind you with a ruler and hit you if you don't cross train. The reason most training plans include cross training is that it allows you to get additional cardio training without using the exact same muscles as running, or if you choose to use walking as your cross training then it is using the muscles at a much lower intensity. This will help reduce your chance of training related injuries. Cross training could be anything you want it to be; a walk, a hike in the woods, a game with the family. It does not have to be go out and trudge for an hour.
  • trswallow
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Also, beer. Don't forget beer.
    I've read that beer is a great recovery drink, so about once a week I stop into the tasting room of the local brewery to aid my recovery. The brewery sets right on the edge of the local bike path. When I was marathon training I started some of my runs near the brewery so that when I was done i could stop in and have a beer, and maybe some food if a food truck was there that night, before heading home.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    I choose to believe that good beer is good for recovery and treated myself to two good beers tonight after running 20 miles. Ironically enough in light of your post, I chose this craft brewery to refill a growler because I'd ran past it earlier. Going back, the beer was excellent!