Following program to a T and it's not working.

I know when people aren't losing, it is usually because they are not counting calories correctly. I wasn't losing as much as I'd like so a few weeks ago I bought a digital food scale and have been weighing everything (as opposed to the more old fashion scale that I had been using). I've followed my plan to a T and have worked out several times, burning over 600 calories with most workouts (I use a Polar chest heart rate monitor). I never eat back my exercise calories. I started at 200 pounds and today weigh 193.8. I eat 1500 calories a day. I'm honestly doing everything right, I'm weighing EVERYTHING, tracking EVERYTHING, no cheat meals, no little bites of anything that isn't tracked. This last week I lost .2 pounds. I have lost weight before but never started at this high of a weight. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago but it never really seemed to cause issues. I did decide to take a month off of my birth control this last month (didn't realize prescription was out in time) so that's the only thing I'm thinking is different, and possibly having an effect with hormones and such. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? I feel like giving up. I'm working so hard and nothing is happening. I know a lot of people say that and the response is always "You're eating more than you think" but I'm honestly, truly, not.

(My diary is private to anyone not on my friends list because of a nasty message I got a week or so ago, not any other reason).

Replies

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Being off of birth control can cause hormonal water weight gain.

How long did it take you to go from 200 to 193.8? You have lost weight! It may not be fast, but you are losing weight.

Weight loss is not linear. There will be normal fluctuations in your weight. Our bodies can retain water for many different reasons, and being a woman adds to those reasons.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited September 2015
    If you started at 200 pounds as of a few weeks ago when you bought your new food scale and now you weigh 193.8, looks to me like you're doing pretty good.
  • Are you factoring in water retention, from sodium or your time of the month? My time of the month, causes me to gain 5 Pounds & even though mine only lasts for 5 days, I start retaining about 1 week before & lose all waste 2 days after. So for approximately 2 weeks, every month; I don't know what my accurate weight/measurements are.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    And two pounds this last week, so that's pretty good! I fail to see where you're going wrong.

It didn't go on overnight and it will take time and patience to come off. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll succeed!
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    The loss from 200 to 193 has probably taken 2 months. I bought the scale a few weeks ago and haven't lost hardly anything since then.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Weight lose is not linear. You have lost a small amount this week, maybe you have some water retention. Wait another few weeks, but sounds like you are still losing just slower than you hoped.
  • beth0277
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    And two pounds this last week, so that's pretty good! I fail to see where you're going wrong.

It didn't go on overnight and it will take time and patience to come off. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll succeed!

It was .2 pounds last week. I'd be pretty happy with a 2 pound loss.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    id say going from 200 to 193 is pretty good, not everybody loses big ever week, i hardly lose big any week, its just one of those body things.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    beth0277 wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

It was .2 pounds last week. I'd be pretty happy with a 2 pound loss.

You are averaging almost 2lbs per week with likely a small water fluctuation. You're doing fine; keep up all your hard work and to not let the scale rule your emotions.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    You've lost 7lbs. That sounds like it is working to me.

The skipping a month of BC is going to mess with your hormones/water weight. Keep going.
  • beth0277
    Does doing cardio cause an increase in water weight? I've been doing a lot of cardio, did an hour yesterday, so I'm just wondering if that makes a difference?
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2015
    I started to lose weight when I was about 198 lbs. It took almost 2 months to lose 5 pounds and that's been the way it works for me all down the scale, no matter how careful I am, despite periods of anger and frustration and frenzied exercise. It was very very discouraging at first. It came off, but nowhere near as fast as it does for other people. As long as you're losing, you may have to accept that this is the rate it's going to happen, short of unhealthy starvation of course. Let it happen and focus on something else while it crawls along at its own pace.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    7 lbs in two months is not bad. Especially if you only recently bought a scale.
    Opening your diary would help people see if something seems off.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited September 2015

beth0277 wrote: »
    Does doing cardio cause an increase in water weight? I've been doing a lot of cardio, did an hour yesterday, so I'm just wondering if that makes a difference?

YES IF THIS IS SOMETHING NEW TO YOU, YOU CAN HOLD WATER FOR MUSCLE REPAIR - THIS GENERALLY GOES WITHIN 2-3 WEEKS
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    If it were me, I would have a conversation with the doctor to see if there is anything else wrong. I know that people who have PCOS have an incredibly difficult time losing weight and gain very easily. I believe there are some medications to help with this (metformin I believe?). Anyway, you also might want to get your thyroid checked out in case you have metabolism issues that you are unaware of. The other question is - could you be pregnant?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    irenehb wrote: »
    Weight lose is not linear. You have lost a small amount this week, maybe you have some water retention. Wait another few weeks, but sounds like you are still losing just slower than you hoped.

That. There's going to be weeks where you lose less on the scale because of water retention, then there is going to be times where you lose multiple pounds one day to the next. If you lost about 7 pounds in 2 months that's almost a pound per week, and that was before you got your scale, looks like you're doing well so far.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    You have many factors there PCOS is a stinker combined with weight loss. And adjusting or quitting medication will mess with you. New to working out? That will give you a hiccup. Cut the sodium. Water water water. And have patience. It is never as quick as you think it will be. If it is really troubling see your doctor. Maybe your thyroid is not happy. Many factors at play but be excited that you lost 7 pounds.
  • tjwing001
    tjwing001 Posts: 1 Member
    Are you drinking enough water? Do you physically feel different? Have you noticed any changes that you can focus on instead of the scale for the moment? I can't think of anything more frustrating that losing weight. You CAN do this... be patient. :smile:
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I'd say this is definitely birth control related. You are doing absolutely fantastically! I literally can't think of anything you have listed that needs tweaking so hang in there and be patient! :D
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Very likely the bc or the muscle inflammation from the new workout, or both. Hang in there and do just what you're doing. I think you're doing great :)