Tricks to Peel an Egg????

Options

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I have my own method and almost never come across an egg I can't easily peel.

I crack the egg on the counter where the air bubble is. I start there and work up to the top of the egg in a straight line. Since you started where the air bubble is, it is typically easy to get under the membrane. Since the rest of the egg is still in tact, it comes off as one or two pieces and takes the membrane with it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Put a little baking soda in the water!

This^ .....works for me.

Add 1 teaspoon to the water before you cook them.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm just lazy & usually buy the already peeled eggs...

+ a bajillion. I eat about a dozen hard-cooked eggs a week and ain't nobody got time for all that peeling and all that rage.

A dozen pre-cooked eggs (at least in my grocery store) are cheaper than raw anyway.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well I learned something today! All these post make me want to go home and boil eggs! :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the eggsplanation, @sixxpoint . I will no longer spread my silly old wives' tales.
  • ModaVita
    ModaVita Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, everybody - thanks! I'm the original poster and popped back on my lunch hour to see if anybody had weighed in. I've now got about 20 ways to Egg Rage, lol! But I'll try them all and let you know the winner. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    In for the rage!! LOL
  • hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought the pre-cooked from Egglands Best because I can't handle the ones that peel poorly and I lose all that tasty egg white. But the pre-cooked ones have very little flavor! I end up putting them in a salad for protein but no taste. I must make my own fart-smelling eggs.
  • zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me every time:
    Bring water to bubble boil (so it`s cooking properly), cook them for 8-9 min for medium-firm, drain the hot water and immediately run cold water over them and keep changing the water so they cool down. Poking a hole in the shell can also help with that. I think the eggs shrink a tiny bit by being cooled off quickly so they come off their peel on the inside. It is important however that the water is really really boiling,my boyfriend often ignores my advice and we peel off half the egg afterwards.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the eggsplanation, @sixxpoint . I will no longer spread my silly old wives' tales.

I dunno.. Except it turned out there could be some truth to what you said. "Sell by" and "can be" won't always mean the eggs being handled by an individual are old enough. What if the OP or some lurkers had chickens? B) Or otherwise get fresher eggs at their location.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I just had to bump this to say that I tried this out today and it worked out really well!

I get to eat hard boiled eggs more often thanks to this!

• queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I just had to bump this to say that I tried this out today and it worked out really well!

I get to eat hard boiled eggs more often thanks to this!

Thanks for trying, now off to boil some eggs for lunch!!
  • ModaVita
    ModaVita Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey All! I'm the OP, and today I easily peeled an entire carton of FRESH, hard-boiled eggs!

Here's eggsactly what I did, with no eggsasperation. (Oh, I'm so sorry - couldn't resist!)
    1. Bring pot of water to a rolling boil
    2. Gently add eggs, cover and boil 9 minutes
    3. Drain and rinse with cold tap water a minute or so
    4. Tap egg all over, "massage" between fingertips to loosen shell
    5. Be awed & amazed as the shell slips right off

j03vm959ibdt.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    Eggs.jpg 130.1K
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I have my man-servant Gustavo peel my eggs. Two snaps of my fingers and it is done. One snap means cheese omelette, no peeling required.

If only I could get rid of having to snap my fingers, it would be easier still.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I have my man-servant Gustavo peel my eggs. Two snaps of my fingers and it is done. One snap means cheese omelette, no peeling required.

If only I could get rid of having to snap my fingers, it would be easier still.

It's called a mind meld. LOL
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Run under cold water for a few minutes after cooking to cool quickly which can help to loosen the shell from the egg. Remove the shell at each end in about a nickel size hole on the small end and a little bigger on the fat end. Blow hard into the fat end 2-3 times like it is a balloon. Shells peel right off.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did the baking in the oven method, and it worked well for me. Here's the link: http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/11/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven.html
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Put one in glass cup of water and shake hard.
  • robertturnland
    robertturnland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the use of baking soda. Every single egg peeled without any problems.
  • irisponsible
    irisponsible Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ModaVita wrote: »
    I love hard-boiled eggs but am at my wits end to peel the @#$%^& things!! :s

I've tried every "trick" I've heard: Don't use fresh eggs. Don't use old eggs. Peel them hot. Peel them cold. Only cook till boiling, then steep XX minutes. Boil forever and blanch immediately...

Seriously - there has to be something that works consistently. How do deli depts get those perfectly peeled eggs over & over again? (I've asked, and they don't share.)

Anybody?

Just put them in a small bowl of ice water or just cold water or tap water that are not hot/warm. Give it like a minute or two. Usually they peel perfect if u want to use the water directly w/o any bowl, in case u r not the water conserving person. With water they will peel perfectly.