Military diet

Options
I'm starting the military diet today anyone have success with it?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The military diet is a short term, VLCD that will give you water weight loss and nothing more. Why not just start eating at a moderate calorie deficit?

What exactly are you hoping to get out of the military diet?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

*Nods* I was in basic training at one point in my life. I succeeded in getting through basic training.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you will not get a lot of support for that diet here. It is a very restrictive, short term diet that doesn't even include foods that taste good. Why not just figure out an appropriate calorie deficit for your height, weight, and activity level; eat foods that you like within that deficit, exercise if you want, and be patient?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    One of the absolute worst fad diets out there.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP you will not get a lot of support for that diet here. It is a very restrictive, short term diet that doesn't even include foods that taste good. Why not just figure out an appropriate calorie deficit for your height, weight, and activity level; eat foods that you like within that deficit, exercise if you want, and be patient?

^ This is perfect advice.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How many days were you planning this? And what do you do when those days are over? What have you learned about balanced portions and nutrients?

Edit to add, I entered day 1 of one list I found online (and used the full fat version of all the ingredients). SO LOW ON IRON. ~1200 calories. Better than a juice fast/cleanse I guess. But do adults really like hotdogs and saltines? Not trying to judge, this just always struck me as a diet teenagers would (against my advice) do because they can't buy their own foods.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This diet is nonsense (sorry). It's been floating around for years....known by several names (google Cambridge diet).

If the diet has been around this long (and it worked)....wouldn't this be something promoted by MD's?

Losing weight is calories in vs. calories out. You don't have to eat veggies one day....hot dogs the next. You can just eat regular food BUT the difference is you watch your portions.

Lifestyle changes (learning portion sizes) will help me maintain the weight I've lost.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Does the diet include military fitness routine? My son's in the Army and he eats whatever he wants. Doesn't drink much anymore and runs 5 miles a day + lifts weights and a regulary workout
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Does the diet include military fitness routine? My son's in the Army and he eats whatever he wants. Doesn't drink much anymore and runs 5 miles a day + lifts weights and a regulary workout

The diet has nothing to do with the military...

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs and ice cream? Hell yes! Sign me up!

Seriously, though, if that's how you like to eat, I suggest using MFP to set a calorie goal and fit hot dogs and ice cream into it. In the end, you'll probably lose at the same rate or better.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

This x1000!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hot dogs are delicious, just saying

op, mfp forums generally support a more sustainable weight loss and not crash diets that don't help you keep the weight off.
    military is one of those crash diets
  • kellylarocque
    kellylarocque Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well I kind of decided to do this mostly to re- set my motablism and restart on a good healthy diet I know it's a non sense diet I guess I'm just hoping it will give me a little push in the right direction. I am doing it for three days then going to start a healthy life style. Thanks everyone for the advice☺
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You're going to start a healthy lifestyle by doing something unhealthy? That doesn't seem like the way to go.

Also, resetting your metabolism with that isn't really a thing.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

The diet has nothing to do with the military...

I was going to say...

My brother got out of basic training with the Marines dangerously underweight (not helped by the fact that he spent the last two weeks out in the wilderness rationing 3 days worth of food).

When he got into regular training, his diet consisted of about 3,500 calories. I've never really been sure how this fits with the VLCD I've seen advertised as being styled after the military. They literally starved him then stuffed him.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Well I kind of decided to do this mostly to re- set my motablism and restart on a good healthy diet I know it's a non sense diet I guess I'm just hoping it will give me a little push in the right direction. I am doing it for three days then going to start a healthy life style. Thanks everyone for the advice☺

There is no such thing as resetting your metabolism.

Just input your stats into MFP and log your intake accurately - you will lose weight.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    If you know its a non sense diet, why even do it?

Log your food as accurately as possible and eat in a deficit. You will lose weight.

Exercise will help you increase your metabolism.
  • kellylarocque
    Options
    I'm trying to loose about 10-15 lbs I know I can't reset my metabolism, I guess I just wanted to try it out but yes I'll probably take everyone's advice a just eat healthy it's just easier said then done! No matter what everyone says.
  • kellylarocque
    Options
    Especially when you have kids lol
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OP, please consider reading this post.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Your plan has been tried by many and they usually fail. Best of luck.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose about 10-15 lbs I know I can't reset my metabolism, I guess I just wanted to try it out but yes I'll probably take everyone's advice a just eat healthy it's just easier said then done! No matter what everyone says.
    -Any weight you lose doing this is just water.
    -You aren't eating something most people consider healthy.
    -Why wait 3 days to start your "healthy life"? Start today!