Working through a pleatau

Options
Well overall I've had great success changing my lifestyle, I'm 5"3 and managed to drop from 72 to 66 kg in 8 weeks which I'm very proud of but in the past 3 weeks I haven't lost anything and am still hoping to lose another 6-8 kgs, has anyone else hit a plateau? if so how did you get past it? would love some advice.

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are weighing all the food with a scale, be sure you are in a deficit.

If you are doing everything correctly and not overestimating your calories, you might try a few tricks, like eating at maintenance for a week or two, or IF 5:2 (2 days a week you only eat 500 calories, the other 5 days you eat at maintenance), or calorie cycling.
    Many users will probably say that these kind of tricks are useless, but they worked for me every time I got stuck with the same weight for weeks, in the past.

You might also want to recalculate your BMR and your calories allotment, maybe it's changed since you started and you are, indeed, simply eating too much.
  • bethn24
    bethn24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok ill recalculate, I have a very active lifestyle so have being having 1500 calories but now I'm smaller I may require less. I'm very careful with my portions and my diet is very "clean" although I have one treat meal a week. Ill recalculate I may need to drop to 1200.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bethn24 wrote: »
    I'm very careful with my portions and my diet is very "clean" although I have one treat meal a week.

But are you using a food scale and weighing everything? Including the treat meal.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Ok ill recalculate, I have a very active lifestyle so have being having 1500 calories but now I'm smaller I may require less. I'm very careful with my portions and my diet is very "clean" although I have one treat meal a week. Ill recalculate I may need to drop to 1200.

Before you drop you calories to 1200, maybe give it a few more weeks. 3 weeks is not a plateau, it's a stall which is normal. You been averaging nearly 2lbs loss a week which is rapid. You're not going to keep losing at the same rate. Ensure your logging is correct and give it some more time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    are you weighing everything ON A FOOD SCALE?
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to 2000. Increased protein and carb intake. Increased cardio to an hour 3-4 days a week. It worked for me.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just came off a 3-week stall. I didn't gain but the scale didn't budge for those three weeks after a month of consistent progress. I knew I was doing everything the same, food-wise, so it was frustrating. This morning I discovered a two-pound loss so hopefully I'm back on track! I guess my advice would be to be patient and not let doubts creep in.
  • bethn24
    bethn24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No I havnt being Ill go to the store and get one
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I stopped losing, I got a digital scale ( I was using some non-digital piece of crap for awhile). I stopped with the salad bars at lunch and made sure to weigh out my lunch the night before and pack. I shaved 100 calories off of my weekdays so that I could eat a little more on the weekend. NO cheat meal. I could eat an extra 600 calories on Saturday to keep my weekly deficit, but it had to be logged or at least to the best of my ability. Once you are close to goal, there is less room for error.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This will fix the problem.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Another thought, you might be gaining muscle - which weighs more than fat. I have a scale that measures body fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    Another thought, you might be gaining muscle - which weighs more than fat. I have a scale that measures body fat.

But you know nothing about her training, even if she is in maintenance. And it's not happening in a deficit.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Well overall I've had great success changing my lifestyle, I'm 5"3 and managed to drop from 72 to 66 kg in 8 weeks which I'm very proud of but in the past 3 weeks I haven't lost anything and am still hoping to lose another 6-8 kgs, has anyone else hit a plateau? if so how did you get past it? would love some advice.

There really isn't any such thing as a plateau per se. You are either eating at maintenance or are the bad side of normal fluctuation. Figure out which it is and go from there.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

No. 1lb of fat weigh EXACTLY the same as 1lb of muscle - ONE POUND.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

Get that physics out of here.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

This will solve it
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

She is wrong, but your statement isn't anymore correct. She didn't say one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat. If she had, you might have a leg to stand on. No, she said muscle weighs more than fat. And muscle most definitely does weigh more, by volume.

To OP: A scale will help. You might want to reenter stats to see if it makes a difference. If you are getting close to your goal, you might want to slow to a pound a week anyhow.
  • ncboiler89
    Options

She is wrong, but your statement isn't anymore correct. She didn't say one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat. If she had, you might have a leg to stand on. No, she said muscle weighs more than fat. And muscle most definitely does weigh more, by volume.

This is wrong
  • apricotmuffins
    apricotmuffins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

This is wrong

Of course a pound of muscle and a pound of fat are the same weight, but because muscle is much more dense, it takes up a lot less space. That's what is meant by being 'heavier' by volume. If you took a cup of muscle and a cup of fat, the cup of muscle would weigh more.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

This is wrong

Of course a pound of muscle and a pound of fat are the same weight, but because muscle is much more dense, it takes up a lot less space. That's what is meant by being 'heavier' by volume. If you took a cup of muscle and a cup of fat, the cup of muscle would weigh more.

Nowhere does OP talk about volume. OP just said she hasn't lost anything and someone else said the OP may be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat which is LOL wrong.