Do you still count calories?

Options

Replies

• Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting has worked really well for me and I do not plan to give it up, even if I need to do it for the rest of my life. It has become part of my lifestyle routine just like taking a shower, brushing my teeth and flossing; no one would ever suggest to give those up just because they use up time and therefore are a PITA:

copied above Ang108! TOTALLY AGREE!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I like logging. I rarely have to limit my calories because I rarely go over. Often it tells me I need to eat more or gives me an excuse to eat when I feel hungry but think I've eaten enough. I look at my log and exercise calories and they tell me - YES your body knows what it's doing. Eat.

I have maintained for four years. In the last month I realized I was at the top of my 5 pound weight zone. Dropped 250 calories/day, kept logging and I'm now in the middle of it. I'll pop back to maintenance when I get to the bottom. It takes almost no effort to do. It's worth it.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm not done losing yet but I don't want to be stuck in a world of logging every little thing forever.

Do you know an almost sure-fire way to fall off the wagon and gain your weight back?

Quit tracking food intake. That'll do it.

or not...

there are literally millions of people who don't track *kitten* and have no issues maintaining their weight...logging in a diary is not in anyway necessary for living a healthful and active life.

And there are literally 50% of the population who do have problems maintaining their weight. For those counting calories might be of great help.
    It is obvious that those who have maintained for a while without counting fall in the first group, while those ( like a friend who is also here in MFP and decided she knew how to guess, gained 50 pounds back in less than a year) who do have problems mainting would be better off counting calories.
    No one is saying that those who don't need it should count calories. I personally am not going to take a chance, because I am not going to be part of that majority that will re-gain what they have lost; not even a part of it.For me that is worth it 5-10 minutes each day.

I think this is key. I agree with CICO, but I also believe it's an over-simplification, with the real equation looking more like this: [Calories In= (Food consumed) * (Unknown factors, such as hunger hormone production, gut bacteria influencing absorption, etc.)] - [Calories Out = (Exercise) * (Metabolism) * (possibly other unknown factors)] = Weight loss/gain/maintenance. For some people, the "unknowns" might be in their favor towards maintenance with less effort. For others, the "unknowns" might require more vigilance on their part to avoid regaining. Obviously, this is only my opinion, albeit informed by much that I've read (but don't have time to bother looking up right now, in case anyone asks about citations).

The end result is that what works for one person, might not work for another and you have to find what works for you. For me, I have maintained while I've stayed logging and I have regained when I stop logging entirely. That doesn't mean that I will log the same way forever. As others have also said, I've found I can maintain by either logging loosely every day (guessing, sometimes going over on calories, etc.) OR by logging strictly at a weight loss calorie level for 1/2 the week (3 or 4 days) and not logging the other days (but still being mindful, no binging!). Both are very sustainable for me because they still allow me to "live", by eating out, having a drink, etc. without obsessing or regaining.

Good luck finding what works for you! May you never have to learn the hard way (like I have!) what doesn't work for you. :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In terms of the earlier argument about the necessity of logging . . . I had a healthy weight without ever dieting or watching my weight until I was 50. I just slowly crept up from the skinny to the heavy end of healthy BMI one pound a year over 15 years or so. So sure, it can be done. Those essentially healthy habits made it easy for me to lose and have made it easy for me to maintain. I am pretty sure I could maintain without logging now. But why?

ALL the evidence says that most people regain the weight they lose because they slip back to their old habits. Anything that helps keep you from slipping back to your old habits improves your chances. It's free. It takes 5 minutes a day. It's worth it to me.

The research says that, but so does watching all my friends. I started MFP because friends of mine were using it or doing weight watchers. We all lost weight, but I'm the only one who kept it off. I'm also the only one who kept logging. I went on one 6 month deficit and have maintained 4 years. They've been on numerous diets and keep bouncing back up. So logging strikes me as useful.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    complacency has nothing to do with logging or not logging.

It's a lot easier to get complacent when you aren't logging.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    one could argue becoming complacent has more to do with becoming lazy and not as active as eating too many calories. You could eat the same meals every day but once your "diet" is over and you stop going to the gym, guess what? it doesn't matter if you were writing it down or not. I'm glad I've found my groove and haven't look at calories in over 5 years, but anyone that has to do it for the rest of their lives.....more power to them. I think to argue about it is silly, clearly it can go either way and only you will know what you can get away with or not.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Yep! For ever and ever. A very, very, large percentage (most studies say over 80%) of the people who lose weight gain it all back, and some gain even more, within 5 years. I want to be in the very, very small percent that keep it off for more than 5 years. In order to be a part of that group, it means logging for me.

Not everyone has to, but I do. And by the look of the statistics, a lot of people probably should.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I only need to calorie count at this point because I'm doing a lot of running and if I don't eat back enough calories I'll lose weight, which I don't want.
    I've logged for years, with a few breaks during which I actually lost a tiny bit of weight, so I feel I'm familiar enough with the estimated calorie counts of things that I could manage fine without it, unless I'm training for races, because you feel so rubbish when you aren't fuelling yourself correctly.

Same issue - if I don't count, I undereat.
    I lost a lot of weight without counting, I think it makes me scared of eating too much and then I avoid eating altogether.

So to keep me maintaining (and currently bulking) I need to track.
  • ksalvarezn
    ksalvarezn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting for a month because I was very busy studying for an exam. The stress actually had me eating less then I should have and I lost a couple more pounds then I planned. After the exam I celebrated and ate quite a bit to gain a pound or two back. Today and yesterday I decided to count my calories just to make sure I wasn't going to overboard. I am now at my goal weight but I want to gain lean muscle mass. Therefore, I will probably use fitnesspal to make sure I'm am eating enough protein each day but I will not log everyday. I enjoy the freedom that comes from taking a break from myfitnesspal.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm at a healthy stable weight and my body seems to ask for as many calories as it needs to maintain so I don't find counting terribly helpful right now (in fact sometimes it's overly stressful). However I do have plans to start keeping better track of macros again once I'm able to get back to lifting. I'd like to recomp a bit abd I'll have to keep closer tabs then.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I stopped a couple months ago, and even being injured and unable to exercise as normal the past month, I still slowly lost a couple pounds. (Which I assume is more glycogen than fat.) I'm at a place right now where my brain and stomach are on good speaking terms ;) and I'm doing a good job of eating enough for my activity level.

I lost weight a few years ago, and stopped logging after a while. All was good until depression and a lower back injury changed things. So I went back to logging until I got about where I wanted to be. Then I felt pretty confident in my ability to maintain.

If I have drastic changes in either direction - if I lose more than I'd like or if I start gaining again - I'll go back to logging. But until then... I'll wing it. Logging makes me feel obsessed. The very slight difference it might make in my performance or aesthetics isn't worth the added stress.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I like logging. I rarely have to limit my calories because I rarely go over. Often it tells me I need to eat more or gives me an excuse to eat when I feel hungry but think I've eaten enough. I look at my log and exercise calories and they tell me - YES your body knows what it's doing. Eat.

I have maintained for four years. In the last month I realized I was at the top of my 5 pound weight zone. Dropped 250 calories/day, kept logging and I'm now in the middle of it. I'll pop back to maintenance when I get to the bottom. It takes almost no effort to do. It's worth it.

Definitely NOT the case for everyone. If I listened to my body, I would have gained 20 pounds last year instead of maintaining. That's why I log (and still go to bed hungry most nights).
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    nxd10 wrote: »

Definitely NOT the case for everyone. If I listened to my body, I would have gained 20 pounds last year instead of maintaining. That's why I log (and still go to bed hungry most nights).

Well that's no good. You shouldn't be going to bed actually hungry.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i think i will. it is getting to the point where I have combos of meals memorized, so I know it won't take me over. even restaurant foods, like my favorite pizza, sushi, mexican, and burger.
    ESotrops wrote: »
    I'm not done losing yet but I don't want to be stuck in a world of logging every little thing forever.

i am with you on this. so i log in way that i feel i can maintain for the rest of my life, and i ignore the people who disagree. for example, i never weigh my food because i know i won't keep that up in the long run. i always guestimate. i don't worry about being crazy accurate, but i do the best i can. when i said i have memorized my favorite restaurant foods. i mean i treat every bowl of chirashi zushi or veggie quesadilla as if they were all created equal. i know they are not. but i use the same entry no matter where i eat these things. there are studies regarding stress and food, so i try not to stress over how accurate it may be. i pretend a slice of spinach and mushroom pizza is the same the world over. i am not saying i eat these foods all the the time. goodness no. it is mostly oatmeal for breakfast and chicken and veggies for dinner on normal days. buy i feel i can continue what i am doing after i reach goal. i'll continue to log because i never want to gain the weight back. i've lost 77 lbs thus far. and actually, and this point, i do kind of enjoy logging:-) best of luck on your journey.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 8lbs from goal but I know I'll continue counting once I reach maintenance.

I'm sure by then I'll probably 'have a feel' for the amount I'm eating, but my past proves that the moment I stop tracking, I tend to overdo it. I'm hoping I won't have to log in such a strict manor (IE - Weighing vegetables!) as I am now but I think, for me - some kind of tracking system will really help me stay on form.
  • mikehardin62
    mikehardin62 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been on this jurney 3years and yes i count all things and anything that i think makes a difference in cals, cause let's face it, who wants to go back to that PRISON of unhealthy living!!??

Surely not I...

So count ,count ,count...like driving a car watch you speed or you will get a ticket...buckle up...you know the DRILL.

As you get more relaxed about your lifestyle you will be able to see what makes you more comfortable with knowing what you can do how much you can eat or when and what.

GOOD LUCK...and remember Keep Pressing In!!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I have been in maitenance for nearly 2 years. Have kept within a 3 kg range all that time.

I still log daily (except when I go on a holiday, then I have a week or two away from it) but I practice what I call lazy logging - every mandarine is just a medium mandarine, I guestimate when I go out for dinner, I consider every cappacino everywhere to be the same etc.

For me, this is enough accountability without it becoming obsessive or time consuming.

• mikehardin62
    Options
    Well said paperpudding, well said...i agree. ..there are just times that you cannot log, so guesstimate how ever you can.

Know where you are.

WOW...right on point .
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Even if I dont accurately weigh and log, I cant erase the numbers from my memory After counting calories for over 3 years, I just cant flip a switch. I'm always estimating whether I like it or not, and dont think I'll ever be able to fully let go

Amen...Annette....i agree.
    I keep close tabs, no matter what!