Dairy and Gluten Free

Options

Replies

• LoseitShika
    LoseitShika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

Not true at all, just as often they can be just as high in fat, or even have sugar added. No different than any other diet.

Even still...they aren't has heavy and greasy as normal food.

They can be. I can easily makes gf onion rings (an example you gave) using gf bread crumbs. This generalization is absolutely not true.

You could brush them with lite olive oil, dip them in gluten free bread crumbs, and bake them. I'm almost positive it wouldn't consist of the came fat as deep frying in vegetable oil with normal bread crumbs.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.
    Instead of milk and dairy, eat more meat, fish, beans, eggs.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.

No they don't but as stated before....I have a food allergen and the elimination test is being used to see what it may be. I can have meet, fish, and beans. The test is an natural and inexpensive way to discover food allergens. The test is very sufficient for its cause.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Done it. Done right (as in the meat and produce aisle, not the specialty snack and fake bread aisle) it's great. But it's expensive. Which is one reason I'm back to eating butter and cheese. Cheaper calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Not true at all, just as often they can be just as high in fat, or even have sugar added. No different than any other diet.

They can be. I can easily makes gf onion rings (an example you gave) using gf bread crumbs. This generalization is absolutely not true.

You could brush them with lite olive oil, dip them in gluten free bread crumbs, and bake them. I'm almost positive it wouldn't consist of the came fat as deep frying in vegetable oil with normal bread crumbs.

You COULD do that, but you could also fry them using the normal method. Your original comment was that gluten-free would be low in fat (and more than likely organic). But you can do higher fat gluten-free onion rings as easily as you can do low fat regular onion rings (use gluten in the breading and then bake them).

The gluten content is irrelevant -- what matters is how you decide to prepare them, baking or frying.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.

Or an allergen test (also can be done without an elemination diet). I don't have celiacs, but have an actually allergy (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley and oat. This was determined via blood work to test for all allergens following a serious of severe reactions that left me on a ventilator (allergist did not want to do skin testing due to how severe my reaction was).
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Done it. Done right (as in the meat and produce aisle, not the specialty snack and fake bread aisle) it's great. But it's expensive. Which is one reason I'm back to eating butter and cheese. Cheaper calories.

It's expensive..real expensive. But my IBS is irritated like it was. Butter would give me the feeling of drinking two glasses of milk
  • elphie754
    Options

You COULD do that, but you could also fry them using the normal method. Your original comment was that gluten-free would be low in fat (and more than likely organic). But you can do higher fat gluten-free onion rings as easily as you can do low fat regular onion rings (use gluten in the breading and then bake them).

The gluten content is irrelevant -- what matters is how you decide to prepare them, baking or frying.

This 100%.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest avoiding a lot of gf products as they can be significantly more calorie dense than their regular counterparts. For instance, when I was gf I would order lettuce-wrapped burgers even if a restaurant had the option of a gf bun. Don't assume just because something is "gluten free" that it is better for you - that can get you into trouble. Keep tracking with MFP and you'll do just fine.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor say allergen? Or sensitivity?
  • LoseitShika
    Options

It also matters what's used to prep them
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes, but your prep decisions (for either dish) can result in a dish that is higher or lower in fat. Being gluten-free doesn't make something lower in fat. And it has nothing to do with being organic.
  • elphie754
    Options

The gluten aspect is still irrelevant though.
  • LoseitShika
    Options

Or an allergen test (also can be done without an elemination diet). I don't have celiacs, but have an actually allergy (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley and oat. This was determined via blood work to test for all allergens following a serious of severe reactions that left me on a ventilator (allergist did not want to do skin testing due to how severe my reaction was).

I didn't want a blood test. I wanted the elimination method. It's helping me make lifestyle adjustments. I will continue using attributes of the diet after it is complete.
  • elphie754
    Options

I didn't want a blood test. I wanted the elimination method. It's helping me make lifestyle adjustments. I will continue using attributes of the diet after it is complete.

Why? A blood test can tell you in a few days what you are definitively allergic to. An elemination diet can takes months.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Did your doctor say allergen? Or sensitivity?

Both.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest avoiding a lot of gf products as they can be significantly more calorie dense than their regular counterparts. For instance, when I was gf I would order lettuce-wrapped burgers even if a restaurant had the option of a gf bun. Don't assume just because something is "gluten free" that it is better for you - that can get you into trouble. Keep tracking with MFP and you'll do just fine.

Seconding this. I only eat gluten free baked goods as a treat (my twice-per-summer hot dogs need a bun, dang it.) That and they're damned expensive as compared to the "normal" stuff. And so tiny! A regular sandwich becomes an automatic finger sandwich on gluten free bread, and you end up paying $5 for the loaf!
  • LoseitShika
    Options

Why? A blood test can tell you in a few days what you are definitively allergic to. An elemination diet can takes months.

Because it was my choice. I'm 150lbs overweight with IBS. I need disciple. This dairy (which I don't need) and gluten free diet has given me that. Once the diet it over...I will have adapted to better eating habits. I will follow MY Drs orders and implement items into my diet as directed. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. I eat 1/4 of the calories that I use to. 1500 calories a day now. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything. What I didn't come to this community for was to be questioned and asked why my dr directed such. I wanted support and insight from those on the diet, previously on diet, or previously on diet and continue some habits.
  • elphie754
    Options

Because it was my choice. I'm 150lbs overweight with IBS. I need disciple. This dairy (which I don't need) and gluten free diet has given me that. Once the diet it over...I will have adapted to better eating habits. I will follow MY Drs orders and implement items into my diet as directed. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. I eat 1/4 of the calories that I use to. 1500 calories a day now. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything. What I didn't come to this community for was to be questioned and asked why my dr directed such. I wanted support and insight from those on the diet, previously on diet, or previously on diet and continue some habits.

A gluten free diet has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight. I gained 50lbs when I originally eliminated wheat, barley and oats from my diet (I specify the foods and not just gluten because there are gluten free oats, however I am allergic to ALL pay, gf or not).
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There is a blood test for gluten allergy aka celiac's disease. You must be eating gluten to get it. Also elimination diet is meant for the food to be reintroduced after the 2 weeks to see if it was the cause. I think you need to follow your doctor's orders and see what the cause is. You can still lose weight by counting calories. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out!

I just wanted to point out that celiac's disease is NOT an allergy, it's an auto-immune disease. People often use the word "allergy" to describe sensitivities when that's really not what they mean. Someone with a true allergy will have an immediate reaction to the food/whatever, often life-threatening. A "sensitivity", or something like celiac, will cause uncomfortable symptoms which could be severe (like intestinal reactions that I won't mention...tmi, lol), but they are most likely not going to need immediate medical care.

Anyway, just my little soapbox. lol

OP, at one point I eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet because of awful bloating, indigestion, at those tmi intestinal symptoms. All of my symptoms went away, so I figured I was sensitive to gluten (I never went for the endoscopy which is really the gold-standard of tests for celiac). I gradually put dairy back in, mostly yogurt, cottage cheese, some milk. No return of symptoms. Then one day I started getting the same symptoms back. My doctor wondered if perhaps I was developing a sensitivity to corn or some other grain. She told me to stop eating all grains for awhile, then we'd introduce them back in one at a time. I stopped them all and immediately felt better. Immediately.

Well, who knew that indigestion can be one sign of pre-diabetes? Not me, that's for sure. But fortunately I have a great doctor. She called a few days later to tell me that my a1c was higher than normal, and said "Did you stop all grains yet? If so, I bet you've seen improvement in how you feel." lol. Genius.

So now I do eat some grains/simple carbs but only balanced with protein. So no more cold cereal with skim milk for breakfast, but instead I'll have eggs or cottage cheese with a piece of Ezekiel bread toasted.

Anyway, that's my story if any part of it helps you. If you do remain gluten free watch out for all the gf replacement things like cookies, cake mix, etc. They often have more fat and sugar in them than the regular version because the manufacturers are trying to get them to taste better.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My son is DF/GF as a result we eat a lot of DF/GF stuff and it is not that bad actually we prefer some of the things. (though real cheese/yogurt is missed). I struggle to find alternatives for plenty of protein for a growing boy. Dairy is his main trigger that results in immediate issues so he avoids that at all costs. We are more relaxed in monitoring the gluten 100% of the time. Ultimately it is his choice and he has to decide if eating something that will cause him pain is worth it but i go out of my way to try to provide him alternatives that he can have if he is tempted (ie. someone in his class is bringing in donuts or cupcakes he will bring in his donuts/cupcakes).