Replies

• LoseitShika
    LoseitShika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.
    Instead of milk and dairy, eat more meat, fish, beans, eggs.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.

Or an allergen test (also can be done without an elemination diet). I don't have celiacs, but have an actually allergy (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley and oat. This was determined via blood work to test for all allergens following a serious of severe reactions that left me on a ventilator (allergist did not want to do skin testing due to how severe my reaction was).

I didn't want a blood test. I wanted the elimination method. It's helping me make lifestyle adjustments. I will continue using attributes of the diet after it is complete.

Why? A blood test can tell you in a few days what you are definitively allergic to. An elemination diet can takes months.

Because it was my choice. I'm 150lbs overweight with IBS. I need disciple. This dairy (which I don't need) and gluten free diet has given me that. Once the diet it over...I will have adapted to better eating habits. I will follow MY Drs orders and implement items into my diet as directed. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. I eat 1/4 of the calories that I use to. 1500 calories a day now. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything. What I didn't come to this community for was to be questioned and asked why my dr directed such. I wanted support and insight from those on the diet, previously on diet, or previously on diet and continue some habits.

A gluten free diet has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight. I gained 50lbs when I originally eliminated wheat, barley and oats from my diet (I specify the foods and not just gluten because there are gluten free oats, however I am allergic to ALL pay, gf or not).

So here's the thing....I didn't say that I would remain gluten free to lose weight. It's part of the elimination diet. Once it's over...I'm may convert back to wheat. It if the feel persist...ill take it out again. I eat everything in moderation now. So I shouldn't have the 50lbs issue. As mentioned above...I will continue some attributes of the elimination diet once complete
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.

Or an allergen test (also can be done without an elemination diet). I don't have celiacs, but have an actually allergy (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley and oat. This was determined via blood work to test for all allergens following a serious of severe reactions that left me on a ventilator (allergist did not want to do skin testing due to how severe my reaction was).

I didn't want a blood test. I wanted the elimination method. It's helping me make lifestyle adjustments. I will continue using attributes of the diet after it is complete.

Why? A blood test can tell you in a few days what you are definitively allergic to. An elemination diet can takes months.

Because it was my choice. I'm 150lbs overweight with IBS. I need disciple. This dairy (which I don't need) and gluten free diet has given me that. Once the diet it over...I will have adapted to better eating habits. I will follow MY Drs orders and implement items into my diet as directed. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. I eat 1/4 of the calories that I use to. 1500 calories a day now. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything. What I didn't come to this community for was to be questioned and asked why my dr directed such. I wanted support and insight from those on the diet, previously on diet, or previously on diet and continue some habits.

You seem to be saying that eating gluten free and diary free means you are eating better?

People are asking questions because it is weird'not common that a Dr/Gp would suggest for you to do this. They are trained to understand the best route to solve a problem. An elimination diet is not the best/most efficient way to find that out.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    There is a blood test for gluten allergy aka celiac's disease. You must be eating gluten to get it. Also elimination diet is meant for the food to be reintroduced after the 2 weeks to see if it was the cause. I think you need to follow your doctor's orders and see what the cause is. You can still lose weight by counting calories. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out!

I just wanted to point out that celiac's disease is NOT an allergy, it's an auto-immune disease. People often use the word "allergy" to describe sensitivities when that's really not what they mean. Someone with a true allergy will have an immediate reaction to the food/whatever, often life-threatening. A "sensitivity", or something like celiac, will cause uncomfortable symptoms which could be severe (like intestinal reactions that I won't mention...tmi, lol), but they are most likely not going to need immediate medical care.

Anyway, just my little soapbox. lol

OP, at one point I eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet because of awful bloating, indigestion, at those tmi intestinal symptoms. All of my symptoms went away, so I figured I was sensitive to gluten (I never went for the endoscopy which is really the gold-standard of tests for celiac). I gradually put dairy back in, mostly yogurt, cottage cheese, some milk. No return of symptoms. Then one day I started getting the same symptoms back. My doctor wondered if perhaps I was developing a sensitivity to corn or some other grain. She told me to stop eating all grains for awhile, then we'd introduce them back in one at a time. I stopped them all and immediately felt better. Immediately.

Well, who knew that indigestion can be one sign of pre-diabetes? Not me, that's for sure. But fortunately I have a great doctor. She called a few days later to tell me that my a1c was higher than normal, and said "Did you stop all grains yet? If so, I bet you've seen improvement in how you feel." lol. Genius.

So now I do eat some grains/simple carbs but only balanced with protein. So no more cold cereal with skim milk for breakfast, but instead I'll have eggs or cottage cheese with a piece of Ezekiel bread toasted.

Anyway, that's my story if any part of it helps you. If you do remain gluten free watch out for all the gf replacement things like cookies, cake mix, etc. They often have more fat and sugar in them than the regular version because the manufacturers are trying to get them to taste better.

Since I haven't eaten any gluten products, fried foods, or dairy....I don't feel icky and bloated on the inside. It may be a sensitivity as you stated. If so...ill implement alternates into my diet. As a result of the elimination diet and having to be without gluten..I'm finding healthier ways to prepare my food.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

A gluten free diet has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight. I gained 50lbs when I originally eliminated wheat, barley and oats from my diet (I specify the foods and not just gluten because there are gluten free oats, however I am allergic to ALL pay, gf or not).

So here's the thing....I didn't say that I would remain gluten free to lose weight. It's part of the elimination diet. Once it's over...I'm may convert back to wheat. It if the feel persist...ill take it out again. I eat everything in moderation now. So I shouldn't have the 50lbs issue. As mentioned above...I will continue some attributes of the elimination diet once complete

I have n never added my allergens back because they can KILL me.

I stated the weight gain because you seem to keep insisting that going gluten free/dairy free will result in weight loss which is not true.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Done it. Done right (as in the meat and produce aisle, not the specialty snack and fake bread aisle) it's great. But it's expensive. Which is one reason I'm back to eating butter and cheese. Cheaper calories.

It's expensive..real expensive. But my IBS is irritated like it was. Butter would give me the feeling of drinking two glasses of milk

Ouch! So you have no choice then. The only thing dairy seems to do to me is my skin isn't quite as nice.
  • LoseitShika
    Options

You seem to be saying that eating gluten free and diary free means you are eating better?

People are asking questions because it is weird'not common that a Dr/Gp would suggest for you to do this. They are trained to understand the best route to solve a problem. An elimination diet is not the best/most efficient way to find that out.

Yes , I'm eating better. I feel better. My issue was with stomach issues.....this test is what I choose. And it's working. I don't have any of the symptoms I complained about. And it was introduced me into a different way of eating. Once it's over...because this type of diet ends....ill know my sensitivity and should be able to live without it because I've been replacing it with alternates. It's not for anyone to understand other than the patient and dr I guess. I came for support from those who have experienced it.
  • LoseitShika
    Options

I stated the weight gain because you seem to keep insisting that going gluten free/dairy free will result in weight loss which is not true.

I did t say they would help me lose weight solely...but cutting out dairy and learning different ways to prepare my meals with healthier alternates will.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I did t say they would help me lose weight solely...but cutting out dairy and learning different ways to prepare my meals with healthier alternates will.

Not really. Gluten is no "unhealthy" and gf foods can be just as high in calories if not higher. A point you seem to not grasp. I'm out.
  • LoseitShika
    Options

Not really. Gluten is no "unhealthy" and gf foods can be just as high in calories if not higher. A point you seem to not grasp. I'm out.

Pleas. You don't seem the grasp the fact that instead of deep frying my chicken in vegetables oil after breaking it with self rising flour....I'm now lightly glazing it with olive oil, gluten free bread crumbs (because we are testing to see if I'm sensitive to it) and baking it.....it a healthier choice for me and I credit being placed on this diet to that. Instead of my Starbucks frappe with a chic fil a 8 count of chicken minis....I have a kale and berry smoothie. I'm saying the diet enlightened me be I continue being gluten free or not
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    There is a blood test for gluten allergy aka celiac's disease. You must be eating gluten to get it. Also elimination diet is meant for the food to be reintroduced after the 2 weeks to see if it was the cause. I think you need to follow your doctor's orders and see what the cause is. You can still lose weight by counting calories. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out!

I just wanted to point out that celiac's disease is NOT an allergy, it's an auto-immune disease. People often use the word "allergy" to describe sensitivities when that's really not what they mean. Someone with a true allergy will have an immediate reaction to the food/whatever, often life-threatening. A "sensitivity", or something like celiac, will cause uncomfortable symptoms which could be severe (like intestinal reactions that I won't mention...tmi, lol), but they are most likely not going to need immediate medical care.

Anyway, just my little soapbox. lol

It isn't a soapbox. Misinformation is never a good thing to go around. I am very sorry about that.

But yes, allergy, sensitivity, and celiac's disease are very different things. That is why OP it is important to find out the truth. I believe I have a dairy sensitivity. So when I do cut out dairy (my cheese!!!), I also make sure anything I am eating does not have dairy products in it, like lunch meat. However, if I get milk, I am not going into anaphylaxis. I myself have been having a ton of digestive issues and right now left without answers. Trying to find a doctor in a new area is not helping. I know test are expensive, very much, but I know right now, I am going to do everything in my power to have those test run for peace of mind, even if it leaves me broker than I am now! LOL ^_^ And what Monklady123 said ties into working well with your doctor, as it could be something else, like the pre-diabetes thing. So do work with your doctor and what they have to say, especially if you have a good doctor. Those are honestly hard to come by!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    And OP, I understand just what you mean when you say being on this elimination diet has caused you to look at food differently. The same thing happened for me. When I first cut out gluten I did buy a bunch of the gf cookies, cake mixes, etc. I think I felt deprived that I couldn't have them and wanted to replace them all. But then I realized that I didn't need to eat cakes and cookies as much as I was. Maybe every few weeks, or only at church potlucks (I'd bring the gf stuff), or only when I went out to eat...whatever. But I didn't need to make them at home. So instead I'd eat fruit, or a smoothie like you said, or something else healthier and lower calorie.

And really eating gf doesn't have to be more expensive (for whoever said that, can't remember now), if you don't buy a bunch of the replacement gf flour blends and stuff like that. A gf person with no other sensitivities can eat anything *except* wheat, barley, rye and their cousins. (the jury is still out on oats that are not certified gf).

Being gluten free caused me to look at my food differently, and to cook more from scratch rather than opening a box. Those are good things. :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Not true at all, just as often they can be just as high in fat, or even have sugar added. No different than any other diet.

Even still...they aren't has heavy and greasy as normal food.

A lot of naturally gluten free foods can be heavy and/or greasy. Steak, popcorn, and much more.
  • cmtigger
    Options

Not true at all, just as often they can be just as high in fat, or even have sugar added. No different than any other diet.

Even still...they aren't has heavy and greasy as normal food.

They can be. I can easily makes gf onion rings (an example you gave) using gf bread crumbs. This generalization is absolutely not true.

You could brush them with lite olive oil, dip them in gluten free bread crumbs, and bake them. I'm almost positive it wouldn't consist of the came fat as deep frying in vegetable oil with normal bread crumbs.

But in your example it's not as greasy because the effort was to make it lighter, not because its inherent to gluten free or dairy free.
  • cmtigger
    Options

This.
  • cmtigger
    Options

Pleas. You don't seem the grasp the fact that instead of deep frying my chicken in vegetables oil after breaking it with self rising flour....I'm now lightly glazing it with olive oil, gluten free bread crumbs (because we are testing to see if I'm sensitive to it) and baking it.....it a healthier choice for me and I credit being placed on this diet to that. Instead of my Starbucks frappe with a chic fil a 8 count of chicken minis....I have a kale and berry smoothie. I'm saying the diet enlightened me be I continue being gluten free or not
    Have you looked at the calorie count on the smoothie?
  • QueenBeeKeep
    QueenBeeKeep Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this. I have been eating sugar free grain free and starch free for 2 years. I am trying to lose weight by being accountable for what I eat with this program. The medication I'm on makes me hold the weight and my downfall is nuts and cheese.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Years ago after coming back from a colonoscopy I was found to have ulcerative colitis along with IBS.....my Specialist advised me to stop eating gluten and dairy (amongst other changes).

Initially I fell into the well of buying a lot of pre-prepared gluten free products believing I had to make up for the 'loss' of the treats that I had come to enjoy....hindsight is clear sight and I quickly realised just how calorific these non gluten products are and decided that for me they weren't worth it - neither were they more inherently heathy or going to mean I would lose weight because of eating them.

I did see significant improvement with my symptoms - less pain, bloating etc etc.

In regards to going diary free....that one really hurt as I had to completely re-think hot drinks as I hate black coffee (I was supposed to give that up as well due to the fact it can really irritate the intestinal lining)....it was tough for a while and the headaches a *kitten* but finally I got onto Herbal teas and that helped. Something for you to consider OP.

Now several years down the track.....I can have limited dairy. We have lactose free milk available in Aust. and I can tolerate about 120 mls of that per day, more than that causes issues. You too could look into alternatives such as almond or coconut milk etc nowadays there are a lot more products on the market for people with intolerances.

I have also been able to tolerate small amounts of cheese and homemade greek yoghurt as well......I don't know if it is the 'extra' processing or ageing of these that helps but I'll take the re-introduction of these, happily.

For you OP, there are several options to keep up the benefits of dairy in your diet without the health issues - tofu, tempeh, cheese from another source (ie goat's or sheep's cheese)....you could make your own yoghurt from scratch using your preferred milk and buying specialized cultures on-line which bring the yoghurt to 'life'.

Interestingly enough 2 weeks ago I had a repeat colonoscopy and my results were much improved - the colitis does appear to be in remission and the IBS has settled down completely for the most part. Now that may have been helped by the fact that I am on a moderately high dose of steroids for another auto-immune condition, but I do believe that being vigilant about avoiding these triggers helped.

I hope this helps you OP. Good luck with exploring new ways of cooking, try to avoid the pre-packaged gluten free stuff and make from scratch and if you end up with a return of symptoms after this 'diet' I would entreat you to go get yourself blood tested and 'scoped so you know exactly what issues you may have.

All the best.
  • LoseitShika
    Options

Have you looked at the calorie count on the smoothie?

Please read entire post. I'm on an elimination diet to see if I'm sensitive to gluten. Thus changing the way I prep and cook food. I now eat lighter and prepare healthier. Yes, my smoothies are never over 400 calories. I'm sure if I wasn't on the gluten free diet st this time...iI old use normal bread crumbs and cook the same way.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    Years ago after coming back from a colonoscopy I was found to have ulcerative colitis along with IBS.....my Specialist advised me to stop eating gluten and dairy (amongst other changes).

Initially I fell into the well of buying a lot of pre-prepared gluten free products believing I had to make up for the 'loss' of the treats that I had come to enjoy....hindsight is clear sight and I quickly realised just how calorific these non gluten products are and decided that for me they weren't worth it - neither were they more inherently heathy or going to mean I would lose weight because of eating them.

I did see significant improvement with my symptoms - less pain, bloating etc etc.

In regards to going diary free....that one really hurt as I had to completely re-think hot drinks as I hate black coffee (I was supposed to give that up as well due to the fact it can really irritate the intestinal lining)....it was tough for a while and the headaches a *kitten* but finally I got onto Herbal teas and that helped. Something for you to consider OP.

Now several years down the track.....I can have limited dairy. We have lactose free milk available in Aust. and I can tolerate about 120 mls of that per day, more than that causes issues. You too could look into alternatives such as almond or coconut milk etc nowadays there are a lot more products on the market for people with intolerances.

I have also been able to tolerate small amounts of cheese and homemade greek yoghurt as well......I don't know if it is the 'extra' processing or ageing of these that helps but I'll take the re-introduction of these, happily.

For you OP, there are several options to keep up the benefits of dairy in your diet without the health issues - tofu, tempeh, cheese from another source (ie goat's or sheep's cheese)....you could make your own yoghurt from scratch using your preferred milk and buying specialized cultures on-line which bring the yoghurt to 'life'.

Interestingly enough 2 weeks ago I had a repeat colonoscopy and my results were much improved - the colitis does appear to be in remission and the IBS has settled down completely for the most part. Now that may have been helped by the fact that I am on a moderately high dose of steroids for another auto-immune condition, but I do believe that being vigilant about avoiding these triggers helped.

I hope this helps you OP. Good luck with exploring new ways of cooking, try to avoid the pre-packaged gluten free stuff and make from scratch and if you end up with a return of symptoms after this 'diet' I would entreat you to go get yourself blood tested and 'scoped so you know exactly what issues you may have.

All the best.

My dr discussed artificial flavoring and processed foods. 90% of the food I cook now is from scratch. It taste best and I can disgust it better. I keep a journal to discuss at my next dr visit. My IBS has settled completely. So much relief. I'm not sure if it's because I cut dairy completely (I could intake small dosages but even a half oz started to bother me) or with the combo of gf. I do almond milk....it gives me very very slight symptoms but not unbearable discomfort.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    Hi I am new to this. I have been eating sugar free grain free and starch free for 2 years. I am trying to lose weight by being accountable for what I eat with this program. The medication I'm on makes me hold the weight and my downfall is nuts and cheese.

Hello! Have you tried whole food in moderation? Since being placed on the elimination diet I read ingredients, count calories, and no processed foods.