Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.
    Instead of milk and dairy, eat more meat, fish, beans, eggs.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.

Or an allergen test (also can be done without an elemination diet). I don't have celiacs, but have an actually allergy (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley and oat. This was determined via blood work to test for all allergens following a serious of severe reactions that left me on a ventilator (allergist did not want to do skin testing due to how severe my reaction was).

I didn't want a blood test. I wanted the elimination method. It's helping me make lifestyle adjustments. I will continue using attributes of the diet after it is complete.

Why? A blood test can tell you in a few days what you are definitively allergic to. An elemination diet can takes months.

Because it was my choice. I'm 150lbs overweight with IBS. I need disciple. This dairy (which I don't need) and gluten free diet has given me that. Once the diet it over...I will have adapted to better eating habits. I will follow MY Drs orders and implement items into my diet as directed. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. I eat 1/4 of the calories that I use to. 1500 calories a day now. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything. What I didn't come to this community for was to be questioned and asked why my dr directed such. I wanted support and insight from those on the diet, previously on diet, or previously on diet and continue some habits.

A gluten free diet has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight. I gained 50lbs when I originally eliminated wheat, barley and oats from my diet (I specify the foods and not just gluten because there are gluten free oats, however I am allergic to ALL pay, gf or not).

So here's the thing....I didn't say that I would remain gluten free to lose weight. It's part of the elimination diet. Once it's over...I'm may convert back to wheat. It if the feel persist...ill take it out again. I eat everything in moderation now. So I shouldn't have the 50lbs issue. As mentioned above...I will continue some attributes of the elimination diet once complete

I have n never added my allergens back because they can KILL me.

I stated the weight gain because you seem to keep insisting that going gluten free/dairy free will result in weight loss which is not true.

I did t say they would help me lose weight solely...but cutting out dairy and learning different ways to prepare my meals with healthier alternates will.

Not really. Gluten is no "unhealthy" and gf foods can be just as high in calories if not higher. A point you seem to not grasp. I'm out.

Pleas. You don't seem the grasp the fact that instead of deep frying my chicken in vegetables oil after breaking it with self rising flour....I'm now lightly glazing it with olive oil, gluten free bread crumbs (because we are testing to see if I'm sensitive to it) and baking it.....it a healthier choice for me and I credit being placed on this diet to that. Instead of my Starbucks frappe with a chic fil a 8 count of chicken minis....I have a kale and berry smoothie. I'm saying the diet enlightened me be I continue being gluten free or not
    Have you looked at the calorie count on the smoothie?

283 calories to be exact.
  • LoseitShika
    LoseitShika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is a blood test for gluten allergy aka celiac's disease. You must be eating gluten to get it. Also elimination diet is meant for the food to be reintroduced after the 2 weeks to see if it was the cause. I think you need to follow your doctor's orders and see what the cause is. You can still lose weight by counting calories. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out!

I just wanted to point out that celiac's disease is NOT an allergy, it's an auto-immune disease. People often use the word "allergy" to describe sensitivities when that's really not what they mean. Someone with a true allergy will have an immediate reaction to the food/whatever, often life-threatening. A "sensitivity", or something like celiac, will cause uncomfortable symptoms which could be severe (like intestinal reactions that I won't mention...tmi, lol), but they are most likely not going to need immediate medical care.

Anyway, just my little soapbox. lol

It isn't a soapbox. Misinformation is never a good thing to go around. I am very sorry about that.

But yes, allergy, sensitivity, and celiac's disease are very different things. That is why OP it is important to find out the truth. I believe I have a dairy sensitivity. So when I do cut out dairy (my cheese!!!), I also make sure anything I am eating does not have dairy products in it, like lunch meat. However, if I get milk, I am not going into anaphylaxis. I myself have been having a ton of digestive issues and right now left without answers. Trying to find a doctor in a new area is not helping. I know test are expensive, very much, but I know right now, I am going to do everything in my power to have those test run for peace of mind, even if it leaves me broker than I am now! LOL ^_^ And what Monklady123 said ties into working well with your doctor, as it could be something else, like the pre-diabetes thing. So do work with your doctor and what they have to say, especially if you have a good doctor. Those are honestly hard to come by!

I hope not pre diabetic but thank you for that tidbit. My dr didn't mention that so I will my digestive issues decreased within two days. It was such a good feeling not to feel your food digesting at the table. I hope you get a peace of mind soon. Good Drs are hard to find.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There is a blood test for gluten allergy aka celiac's disease. You must be eating gluten to get it. Also elimination diet is meant for the food to be reintroduced after the 2 weeks to see if it was the cause. I think you need to follow your doctor's orders and see what the cause is. You can still lose weight by counting calories. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out!

I just wanted to point out that celiac's disease is NOT an allergy, it's an auto-immune disease. People often use the word "allergy" to describe sensitivities when that's really not what they mean. Someone with a true allergy will have an immediate reaction to the food/whatever, often life-threatening. A "sensitivity", or something like celiac, will cause uncomfortable symptoms which could be severe (like intestinal reactions that I won't mention...tmi, lol), but they are most likely not going to need immediate medical care.

Anyway, just my little soapbox. lol

It isn't a soapbox. Misinformation is never a good thing to go around. I am very sorry about that.

But yes, allergy, sensitivity, and celiac's disease are very different things. That is why OP it is important to find out the truth. I believe I have a dairy sensitivity. So when I do cut out dairy (my cheese!!!), I also make sure anything I am eating does not have dairy products in it, like lunch meat. However, if I get milk, I am not going into anaphylaxis. I myself have been having a ton of digestive issues and right now left without answers. Trying to find a doctor in a new area is not helping. I know test are expensive, very much, but I know right now, I am going to do everything in my power to have those test run for peace of mind, even if it leaves me broker than I am now! LOL ^_^ And what Monklady123 said ties into working well with your doctor, as it could be something else, like the pre-diabetes thing. So do work with your doctor and what they have to say, especially if you have a good doctor. Those are honestly hard to come by!

I hope not pre diabetic but thank you for that tidbit. My dr didn't mention that so I will my digestive issues decreased within two days. It was such a good feeling not to feel your food digesting at the table. I hope you get a peace of mind soon. Good Drs are hard to find.

That was the most amazing thing for me, to feel SO much better practically overnight. :)
  • joyThegymmonster777
    Options
    i am :)
  • joyThegymmonster777
    Options
    i have little gluten now, like once a week
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OP I was reading thru here, I hope you are able to make the changes that help your health. I have learned on this forum that some people just aren't supportive of others efforts and impose their way that worked with them as the only way possible for success. I'm sure changing your diet will help with your weight loss as well as your health. You don't need to explain why you are choosing to do an elimination diet vs blood tests, it's your and your dr's choice no one else's. Remember it's your journey, own it, and be happy doing it. You can do this and I hope you feel better doing so!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am a celiac so I've been GF for a few years. I also went dairy free for a couple of years because celiac disease can cause lactose intolerance by wiping out the upper layer of the intestinal villi where lactase is made. Many celiacs are able to consume some dairy after they have healed, which usually takes 6 months to 2 years.

I would like to encourage you to get tested for celiac disease before you have been GF for long. In order for CD tests to be accurate, you must be eating gluten (about 1-2 slices of bread per day) in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing. If you were eating gluten you can test right away, but if you go GF you will need to resume eating gluten, enough to make you sick enough to get a diagnosis, for 2-3 months. It's not a fun thing to do to yourself. If you think you may want to get tested in the future, you may want to consider doing it now.

The ttG IgA, ttG IgG, DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA IgA, total serum IgA, and possibly the old AGA IgA and AGA IgG should be done.

Good luck. I hope your health returns to you quickly. Be patient if it takes a while. Celiac disease recovery can take months to a couple of years.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.
    Instead of milk and dairy, eat more meat, fish, beans, eggs.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.

Or an allergen test (also can be done without an elemination diet). I don't have celiacs, but have an actually allergy (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley and oat. This was determined via blood work to test for all allergens following a serious of severe reactions that left me on a ventilator (allergist did not want to do skin testing due to how severe my reaction was).

I didn't want a blood test. I wanted the elimination method. It's helping me make lifestyle adjustments. I will continue using attributes of the diet after it is complete.

Why? A blood test can tell you in a few days what you are definitively allergic to. An elemination diet can takes months.

Because it was my choice. I'm 150lbs overweight with IBS. I need disciple. This dairy (which I don't need) and gluten free diet has given me that. Once the diet it over...I will have adapted to better eating habits. I will follow MY Drs orders and implement items into my diet as directed. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. I eat 1/4 of the calories that I use to. 1500 calories a day now. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything. What I didn't come to this community for was to be questioned and asked why my dr directed such. I wanted support and insight from those on the diet, previously on diet, or previously on diet and continue some habits.

A gluten free diet has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight. I gained 50lbs when I originally eliminated wheat, barley and oats from my diet (I specify the foods and not just gluten because there are gluten free oats, however I am allergic to ALL pay, gf or not).

So here's the thing....I didn't say that I would remain gluten free to lose weight. It's part of the elimination diet. Once it's over...I'm may convert back to wheat. It if the feel persist...ill take it out again. I eat everything in moderation now. So I shouldn't have the 50lbs issue. As mentioned above...I will continue some attributes of the elimination diet once complete

I have n never added my allergens back because they can KILL me.

I stated the weight gain because you seem to keep insisting that going gluten free/dairy free will result in weight loss which is not true.

I did t say they would help me lose weight solely...but cutting out dairy and learning different ways to prepare my meals with healthier alternates will.

Not really. Gluten is no "unhealthy" and gf foods can be just as high in calories if not higher. A point you seem to not grasp. I'm out.

Pleas. You don't seem the grasp the fact that instead of deep frying my chicken in vegetables oil after breaking it with self rising flour....I'm now lightly glazing it with olive oil, gluten free bread crumbs (because we are testing to see if I'm sensitive to it) and baking it.....it a healthier choice for me and I credit being placed on this diet to that. Instead of my Starbucks frappe with a chic fil a 8 count of chicken minis....I have a kale and berry smoothie. I'm saying the diet enlightened me be I continue being gluten free or not

What everyone is trying to tell you is that you can lightly glaze with olive oil, regular bread crumbs, and bake it and achieve the same thing. If you need to eliminate gluten for medical reasons, that's fine. But in this scenario you've outlined, it's not the gluten free part that's making it better. When you finish this elimination, if it turns out that you don't need to be gluten free, just remember, you can still make these lower calorie choices! :smile:
  • LoseitShika
    LoseitShika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OP I was reading thru here, I hope you are able to make the changes that help your health. I have learned on this forum that some people just aren't supportive of others efforts and impose their way that worked with them as the only way possible for success. I'm sure changing your diet will help with your weight loss as well as your health. You don't need to explain why you are choosing to do an elimination diet vs blood tests, it's your and your dr's choice no one else's. Remember it's your journey, own it, and be happy doing it. You can do this and I hope you feel better doing so!

Thank you Sooooo much for understanding.

Thank you so much! I was so bother and discourage because of this forum yesterday. You explained everything I was trying to say. I just wanted support and info from those experiencing the same.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options

As for the blood test - I have heard/read it's got up to an 80% FALSE NEGATIVE rate, and have at least 3 live-in-person friends whom meet all other aspects of Celiac's but tested negative. I too tested negative about 2-3 years ago - but this past spring, on my own, did an elimination due to connecting that I didn't feel good after any breakfast with any wheat flour in it (but perfectly fine on days I started w/ an almond-milk-based smoothie). I didn't feel any different cutting it other than not feeling ill after the now GF breakfasts - but I found out quickly that if I cheated or inadvertently consumed just a bite gluten *BOOM* I was very sick - and I'm talking I took a little nibble of a cookie - little!! (In the loo for quite some time no more than 20min after I ate it, and then out for the count for the rest of the day [brain fog, achy, upset digestive system all the way through, headache, - and I even got the tingly/numb symptoms one of my friends would describe which I used to think was a bit crazy]). Now - I may not have Celiac's - but I'm quite obviously very sensitive. So I work hard to try and live GF because I can't cheat and feel that horrible (but I know some people cheat and don't have that much of a reaction - my hubby - he went GF because he realized my symptoms and when he cut gluten out - he felt immediately better himself - but he cheated & ate a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints - and he got a bad headache [I can't imagine how sick I would have been]).

So... I encourage anyone to not go by the blood test - elimination process/diet should tell you more.

I could get the biopsy test (the most accurate test) to try and verify if I really have Celiac's, but I already know how sick it makes me, so why would I subject myself to that invasive of a test to tell me what I already know? Many doctors would tell you the same thing.

I also was recommended to go dairy-free by my chiropractor due to inflammatory symptoms that couldn't be explained. So I quit dairy about 4 weeks before I made the GF change, and I could quickly tell a difference in my joints and aches - so I was sold! Well... I do make very small cheats once in a while with dairy (never gluten) and I have also found that by cutting it out - I have become lactose intolerant. So that's why I don't cheat much or often - I have a negative body response (digestive, but sometimes a mild headache). My dairy response is much less than my gluten response.

I'd love to have friends who can empathize with trying to change eating habits without these 2 options - so if you'd like feel free to friend me (but please include a comment about this common issue in your request).

Best of Luck to you (and everyone going through this process)!
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    PS - I'd recommend (if it won't goof with your elimination diet requirements set by your doc) to not do GF bread or bread crumbs, but get yourself some GF flours to use. Your onion rings - I'd dip slices in a beaten egg (but you probably can't..) then dredge/dust in a GF flour. I just got some quinoa flour that I'd try them in. I also love oat flour (it's Bob's RM GF) too.