Options
2»

Replies

• chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    RobynLB83 wrote: »
    I like: thermovex and skinny stix. These are both primarily marketed as weight loss supplements, but they are primarily stimulants, and I use them as preworkouts for cardio: boxing, running, etc. They do the trick for sure to increase endurance and ramp up intensity.

Be careful with taking pre workout or high doses of stimulants when doing cardio. Those things already ramp your heat rate up before you even start.

This. Now I'll share the brand because I actually do have a "sensitive heart" - great blood pressure/pulse, but give it a bit of adrenaline or tax it a little and the rate shoots up. I use Neon Volt, sip in the car before working out, so about 20 minutes. No heart spikes (beta al flush the 1st few times but heart was fine). YMMV, but love the energy without any heart issues. :)
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    "Pre-workout" is an ambiguous term, but it sounds like many of you are using it synonymously with stimulants.

So far I agree with you. A pre workout helps with recovery and performance. I see no reason not to take it. Beta alanine and creatine are great and I actually take a 5 grams of each before my workouts plus my pre workout mix.
  • Dez11B
    Options
    I've recently started taking pre workout and I must say it helps me in the gym. I've heard different things of it being bad for you. What do you guys think?

You said it's been helps you. So don't worry. Just take the recommended dose before your workout and you'll be fine. Take for 3 months then stop for a month. Then start again. Keeps your body from getting too use to it.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sith78 wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    "Pre-workout" is an ambiguous term, but it sounds like many of you are using it synonymously with stimulants.

So far I agree with you. A pre workout helps with recovery and performance. I see no reason not to take it. Beta alanine and creatine are great and I actually take a 5 grams of each before my workouts plus my pre workout mix.

Doesn't matter when you take Beta Alanine and Creatine.

These are not pre workout worthy supplements, like caffeine. These are system saturaters that take time to build up into your system to work.
  • Dez11B
    Options
    She was asking if they are safe. Just saying that most supplements in a pre workout are beneficial. Saying it is safe. Is that ok? Also stating that I even take more than what is in a Pre-workout myself. Yes I'm aware that creatine and beta alanine take time to saturate and caffeine is a stimulant. @sixxpoint
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    She was asking if they are safe. Just saying that most supplements in a pre workout are beneficial. Saying it is safe. Is that ok? Also stating that I even take more than what is in a Pre-workout myself. Yes I'm aware that creatine and beta alanine take time to saturate and caffeine is a stimulant. @sixxpoint

What are you trying to say then?
  • Dez11B
    Options
    @sixxpoint it's in the response. Saying it is safe. Did you not read it
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    @sixxpoint it's in the response. Saying it is safe. Did you not read it

I never questioned that from you. What I questioned was your belief that you needed to take creatine and beta alanine pre workout... Which is a false belief.
  • Dez11B
    Options
    I never said you have to take anything or need to take anything. These supplements are in most pre workout. They are safe.
  • cassandrapalencia
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Lol, it's not bad for you. But caffeine pills or coffee are both cheaper.

What is the brand? Can you link it for us?

The one I'm taking now is advocare spark energy. Sorry so late http://www.advocare.com/products/active.aspx
  • cassandrapalencia
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    ecjim wrote: »
    What is your pre- workout? some are junk - some are good. If you are lifting you should have some protein & carbs before. I like coffee too

I might be wrong, but I think she was referring to Pre Workout supplements if the original poster could clarify?

No sorry I didn't clarify I meant preworkout powder. I'm taking spark by advocare. I've read reviews online some are bad. But you know how that is.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Preworkouts have their benefits. I personally take beta alanine powder with Xtend and then shoot some pomegranate concentrate. I cannot take stimulants before going to workout.
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This one, right?

http://www.advocare.com/products/images/pdf/A7093.pdf

That is low stim at just 120 mg caffeine per serving. The rest of the ingredients in there can either be had from everyday food or multivitamin intake. There are some aminos in there as well, but not the beneficial kind for promoting new muscle synthesis that you typically find in protein or bcaa's.

Look into plain caffeine pills when you need a boost. They are cheap and effective. Or, if you want an extra something else, try these pre-workouts instead... just know your ingredients:
    • Controlled Labs White Flood Reborn
    • SAN: Fierce Domination
    • JYM: Pre JYM
    • ANS Performance: Ritual
    • ErgoGenix: ErgoPump NMT
    • BPI Sports: Pump-HD
    • Bodybuilding.com Brand: SCREAM
    • Betancourt Nutrition: D-Stunner

If "no-stim" or "low stim" preworkouts are more up your alley, let me know and I can recommend some of those as well.
  • cassandrapalencia
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    Preworkouts have their benefits. I personally take beta alanine powder with Xtend and then shoot some pomegranate concentrate. I cannot take stimulants before going to workout.
    lmaharidge wrote: »

Thanks for looking that up. I appreciate it
  • psoasi
    psoasi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to take C4 Pre-workout, and reading in the label it said in small letter that they do not recommend to use it for more than 2 consecutive months.

I suppose that caffeine would be a good substitute.