Cheat days ?

Options

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I like the idea that the use of the word 'cheat' isn't really a good way to frame it. I wouldn't want to call it a 'fun' day either though, because I find looking at food as entertainment is a terrible idea for me. What would it be called if not a cheat meal or cheat day?

Nothing, it doesn't need to be named, as it's not a thing.

How about a "Today I ate a dietary intake that resulted in a calorie surplus because I chose to eat foods that resulted in that surplus"

Or a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day.

Obviously a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day, can be a TDIAADITRIACDBICTEFTRITS day, if a deficit is achieved.

Or a TDIAADITRIACMLBICTEFTRITS, if a maintenance level of calories is achieved.

We did need another acronym around here :smiley:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Steve4239 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i have a cheat meal once a week what ever i like within my calorie goal i usually skip lunch to allow for more calories at tea time that day

What is it you feel is a "cheat" about this if you are remaining within your calorie goals?

having somthing i wouldnt usually have like chilli or a chicken dinner or pizza

why would those foods be cheating? They can be part of an overall healthy diet….

Maybe the type of pizza or chicken doesn't work with their calorie limits on a regular day. Or the amount they want to eat is higher than usual

again that does not make them "bad" or "cheats"....

food = food, assigning moral values to it is useless and counterproductive

i have a cheat meal once a week what ever i like within my calorie goal i usually skip lunch to allow for more calories at tea time that day

What is it you feel is a "cheat" about this if you are remaining within your calorie goals?

having somthing i wouldnt usually have like chilli or a chicken dinner or pizza

why would those foods be cheating? They can be part of an overall healthy diet….

Maybe the type of pizza or chicken doesn't work with their calorie limits on a regular day. Or the amount they want to eat is higher than usual

again that does not make them "bad" or "cheats"....

food = food, assigning moral values to it is useless and counterproductive

^^ that.

food is food. it fits in your calories or it doesn't. going over your calories isn't the end of the world. i do it all the time and have managed to lose 70 pounds and am still losing. i eat what i want.

yh maybe it shouldn't be called a cheat more like a reward it may be within my goals but its not the food that i should be eating all week.

also food = food no. on that bases i could eat sweets and chocolate all day and keep within my goals. if you want to tone up then you need to reduce carbs and increase protein its not all in the calories.

nice straw man argument about eating chocolate all day, absolutely no one is advocating that.

when I sad food = food I meant that it is just food, and is not good, bad, satan, heavenly, etc.

from an energy perspective 100 calories of chocolate = 100 calories of green beans; however, they are not nutritionally the same.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Food is food. My mindset about certain foods, however, matters. If I'm eating for entertainment that is a problem for me. Except on extremely rare occasions like major holidays (shut up brain, Halloween doesn't count!).

It might not be a problem for others, however, either because a small amount is entertainment enough for them or because they have the calories to spare. And I'm fine with that. They're not being bad people for having some cake on a weekend!
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No no no. I won't cheat myself. Its a game im not willing to try. Staying within my calories. There is a sense of pride with that and it keeps me motivated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just eat...my diet overall is very healthy...but sometimes I overeat because it's a party or a BBQ or holiday or whatever...I don't really consider it cheating and for the most part, occasions like this are pretty irrelevant to the whole of my diet throughout the year.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No no no. I won't cheat myself. Its a game im not willing to try. Staying within my calories. There is a sense of pride with that and it keeps me motivated.

This I like!!
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I only cheat when I really really want something. I get it out of my system and I'm good to go again. It's typically every 4 or 5 weeks but everyone is different.
  • lord_emperor
    lord_emperor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day on special occasions such as my birthday, thanksgiving, and Christmas. I usually just go nuts and eat all the things I don't normally get to have like cake, pie, candy, bread, chips. Doing this once in a while has no negative affects on long term trends.
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long it's within my calories, so when it comes time for a cheat meal I just allow myself 200-300 more calories for that day. Usually no more than my maintenance level.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I quite like one particular effect of a higher calorie day (not gonna call it a cheat because that just sounds silly to me, and plus I'm in maintenance, so there is no finite 'diet' to 'cheat' on taking place anymore) - the day after, my runs are always longer/I swim faster/I can lift heavier things or complete more sets with a bit more energy in the tank.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Why the false equation between a cheat day and binging (disordered behavior)?

Most ppl go all out on cheat days and binge to make up for the restriction. I'm simply saying that I don't feel comfortable doing that and look at cheat days as more of a break from counting

This is the only way to cheat yourself. Binge, overeat, eat chocolate all day if you want. But log it. If you don't, why are you logging any day? What good is 6 days worth of data to go on if the 7th day could have negated any deficit you've created the other 6? Without logging day 7, you won't know what your overall deficit is when you come back here in 2 months complaining you're not losing.

Log every day. If you're out or travelling, still log. Do your best. That's what's going to help you figure out how to make this whole calorie thing work for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Most ppl go all out on cheat days and binge to make up for the restriction. I'm simply saying that I don't feel comfortable doing that and look at cheat days as more of a break from counting

This is the only way to cheat yourself. Binge, overeat, eat chocolate all day if you want. But log it. If you don't, why are you logging any day? What good is 6 days worth of data to go on if the 7th day could have negated any deficit you've created the other 6? Without logging day 7, you won't know what your overall deficit is when you come back here in 2 months complaining you're not losing.

Log every day. If you're out or travelling, still log. Do your best. That's what's going to help you figure out how to make this whole calorie thing work for you.

6164096.jpg
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    No but I just get 1200 cals and have 9 lbs. To go.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't do cheat days. It's not my jam.

I eat within my calorie goals and if by some chance I do not, I still log it. Logging is information....that I can learn from. Hiding information from myself doesn't change the calories I put in my face.

^This. Plus I have things I like when I want them anyway. I'm not moved to have huge quantities of them at all.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I like the idea that the use of the word 'cheat' isn't really a good way to frame it. I wouldn't want to call it a 'fun' day either though, because I find looking at food as entertainment is a terrible idea for me. What would it be called if not a cheat meal or cheat day?

Nothing, it doesn't need to be named, as it's not a thing.

How about a "Today I ate a dietary intake that resulted in a calorie surplus because I chose to eat foods that resulted in that surplus"

Or a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day.

Obviously a TDIAADITRIACSBICTEFTRITS day, can be a TDIAADITRIACDBICTEFTRITS day, if a deficit is achieved.

Or a TDIAADITRIACMLBICTEFTRITS, if a maintenance level of calories is achieved.

Love this
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options

I don't take breaks from counting because I want to be able to look back at what I ate, what I exercised, and what I lost, and figure out my (approximate) true, real-life deficit and true TDEE, not a statistically average one that may not be correct for me. But I'm a data geek, and that may not be an issue for everyone.

You do see posts on here occasionally from people who newly started logging their so-called "cheat days" and found those days were why they weren't losing weight as expected. They were wiping out most or all of the rest of the week's deficit.

I sometimes eat more than my calorie goal, but I try only to do this if it's a special occasion: Party, celebration, special (not routine) dinner out with friends, etc. I still try to be reasonable, but not super-restrictive. Then I log it, and go on. I figure I'm trying to establish a new way of running my life, a better relationship with food. There is *no way* I'm willing to go my whole life without eating birthday cake, drinking a beer or two on a special occasion, etc. It's not cheating, it's life. Sometimes I plan for it by eating a little less in advance of special days, sometimes not.

Um, I think I call it "eating food". If necessary to distinguish, "eating food over my calorie goal".
  • Celtic_Wanderer
    Celtic_Wanderer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't have them because since joining MFP, I've come to learn a lot about my relationship with food and calling any high calorie food 'cheating' just enforces that I'm doing something I shouldn't be - eating. I take issue with this kind of attitude towards my food. I don't cheat, I work damm hard for that pizza to equal me being a cheater! I eat what I like in moderation - be it pizza, chocolate, crisps. I'll have it. But I'm still winning!
    Excellent answer @PinkPixiexox and a great diet/fitness ethic. I used to have a 'cheat', or as I preferred it, a reward day (not just a reward meal) once a week on Sundays and while I could still lose weight it was more difficult because I would be looking forward to the next reward day from Monday. I will look at incorporating more of the things I like and fit it around logging my food intake and any exercise I (try to) do during the week.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So you lose a few pounds through extreme caloric restriction then do something you equate with a binge?