To all you low carb eaters

Options
2»

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    So how many grams should I go for? I was watching the carbs a little then for some reason this week I went a bit crazy?
    I believe it varies a bit by person. I am new to keto, but I've been doing it for about a week and a half now. I tried just keeping net carbs under 50 grams, and that is low enough to put me in ketosis. Some people may be able to go a little higher (I didn't try a slightly higher level). Some need to go lower...I hear 20 grams fairly often. The point is I don't think there is one answer.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I remember my appetite disappeared before I love that feeling! Right now I am struggling to stay under my goal eating an assortment of foods. I think I am going to give it a try my only problem is the veggies I eat a lot and I love them! Well I will make it work.
    You can still eat a lot of veggies, as long as you don't choose the starchy ones.

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I can't wait to start. Maybe tomorrow but I would need to shop so I guess Monday will work. Give me time to prepare.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    So when I start should I ignore calories, adjust so I am eating a little more, or continue with the amount I am eating now? Is it possible to go low carb on 1200
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So when I start should I ignore calories, adjust so I am eating a little more, or continue with the amount I am eating now? Is it possible to go low carb on 1200

Is it possible yes, does it meet your goals.. depends. If you are exercising, you will probably need more than 1200 calories. With 40 lbs to lose, a goal of 1 - 1.5 lbs per week is probably ideal.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb and eating at 1200 calories for 3 months now, due to doctor's orders to manage blood sugar issues and weight for both me and my hubby. When I started I focused more on keeping carbs down then calories, but after I adjusted it was extremely easy for me to eat at 1200 without being hungry hardly at all. But everyone is different, lots of people need/want more than 1200, and if you are active by all means you should eat more if you are hungry. I'm just answering your question that it is indeed possible. I don't feel deprived, I'm not starving myself by no means, and I'm losing 2 lbs a week on average.

I walk everyday to get in my 10k steps on my fitbit and earn about 500 extra calories, but since I only weigh my protein and fat intake, I figure that gives me a good bit of padding for overestimating calories on veggies and other things. It's working for me, but low carb is definitely a YMMV thing. :) Losing weight all boils down to CI<CO, but the satiety aspect of LCHF helps me on the calories in bit a lot.
  • purleyprimitives
    Options
    Check out intermittent fasting as well.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Check out intermittent fasting as well.

Fasting is not good for me personally but I know others do well and like it.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do low carb, moderate protein, and high fat. It's true that fat has more calories but it also satisfies and keeps you feeling full longer so you end up not overeating all day. I haven't had an issue keeping my calories low on this diet.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Remember to be patent with yourself, you may not be low calorie to begin with but the more fat you eat the longer you stay full and will find that you do not feel hungry, I personally have certain times of the day that I eat and have noticed that as those times approach I do not feel hungry so I do not eat as much but this will take some time, some people get that way in a few days while others may take a couple of weeks. Good luck! You can do this!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i did the low carb thing years ago and had fantastic results. Needless to say started eating/ drinking again gained it all back plus some. A co worker of mine has started low carbing and now I think I may try it again but I was wondering if it is possible to do both low carb and low calorie at the same time?

Actually I find it easier to be low calorie and lower carb because I don't eat any sweet baked goods, I don't eat all the potato chips I used to eat, and I don't eat bread with butter. So instead of eating a bagel with butter for breakfast I might eat one egg with egg whites and a ton of sauteed veggies. Or instead of having another glass of wine with something salty and crunchy after dinner, I'll just go brush my teeth and be done with eating for the day. I do eat cold cereal sometimes but instead of the large bowl I used to have for breakfast I'll have a much smaller bowl for a snack in the afternoon.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sure.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been following a low carb diet for just over a year and when I started I didn't count calories at all and lost about 45 pounds. Once I got to my last 20-25 pounds I stopped losing and maintained eating roughly 30-50 carbs a day. Once I got serious again and started logging/counting I started losing again. I'm still eating between 30 and 50 carbs a day but I stay between 1600 and 2000 calories a day. I'm 6'1 so I have a fairly healthy calorie limit but it's all trial and error to figure out what's going to work for you personally. Good luck.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    i found low starchy carb works well for my loss. couscous and bananas keep my carb free headache at bay and sweet pot a few times a week. great results, still within 1300 cals!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i did the low carb thing years ago and had fantastic results. Needless to say started eating/ drinking again gained it all back plus some. A co worker of mine has started low carbing and now I think I may try it again but I was wondering if it is possible to do both low carb and low calorie at the same time?

Actually I find it easier to be low calorie and lower carb because I don't eat any sweet baked goods, I don't eat all the potato chips I used to eat, and I don't eat bread with butter. So instead of eating a bagel with butter for breakfast I might eat one egg with egg whites and a ton of sauteed veggies. Or instead of having another glass of wine with something salty and crunchy after dinner, I'll just go brush my teeth and be done with eating for the day. I do eat cold cereal sometimes but instead of the large bowl I used to have for breakfast I'll have a much smaller bowl for a snack in the afternoon.

It also helps that I know if I do eat those things the scale is going to jump ten pounds next morning. Doesn't matter that most of it is water weight, I still don't want to see it!