Why would someone prefer almond milk over skimmed milk?

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I cannot drink cow milk because of the lactose.
    I do not drink almond milk either because it is a bunch of calories with no protein.
    I occasionally drink soy milk because is has protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'd skip the skim and the almond milk and go to whipping cream. Excellent flavour, lots of fat so one can actually absorb the calcium in it, generally has no lactose, and it is wonderful in all recipes.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't have any cows milk at all. Almond milk rocks!
  • Determined_Missy
    Determined_Missy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You have many answers, but I will give you mine as well. I love the taste of vanilla almond milk. I buy the sweetened version most of the time. However, as I have learned about the way dairy cows and their offspring are treated, I just prefer to avoid dairy when I can.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I've never liked milk. I enjoy my cereal much more with almond milk.
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    lactose intolerant? i prefer to have almond milk in my cereal so i can have more cereal for the same calories.
    I am lactose intolerant, and I like your answer.
  • cmoni2
    cmoni2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In The China Study, Dr. T. Colin Campbell of Cornell University conducts an experiment with Dairy Protein (casein) and proves that with a 20% amount, cancerous cells grow and when casein is restricted to below 5% or eliminated, cancerous cells stop growing!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I haven't cut out milk completely but I've been having a lot less.

1. Almond milk tastes nice (though sadly it doesn't work well in tea/coffee for me).
    2. Almond milk lasts longer. Unopened boxes can be stored for a long time out of the fridge.
    3. Cows are treated badly on farms--forced to be pregnant every year, calves taken from them, growth hormones, confined spaces.
    4. There's environmental reasons--cows require a lot of feed and water. Land used to grow animal feed could be used to grow veggies that humans eat. The dairy industry isn't very sustainable.
    5. Some people don't process milk well.
    6. Almond milk is lower calorie (though also lower protein).
    7. You can even make your own almond milk if you feel like it (same with oat milk/soy milk/cashew milk/whatever).
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like the taste better of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.. so tasty. I used to follow vegan diet and still prefer it to cows milk.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't like almond milk or skim milk, both taste like water to me. So I just have my regular whole milk. Yum. I do like the Silk dark chocolate cashew milk, though. That stuff is awesome!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love any kind of moo milk, unfortunately it doesn't like me - I get more frequent sinus infections when I drink it. So I'm stuck with nut milks. :/

I find that the nut milks lack flavor.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I drink both, skimmed in cappuccino, almond with cereals, and reason is calories

also i use the unsweetened almond milk that marries very well with the sugars in the cereals
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    sugar
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That's easy! No growth hormones or antibiotics! Next....
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I can drink 3 times more for the same calories. 8 oz of milk doesn't cut it for me.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    personally, i prefer almond milk to cow's because i am not a cow. i am not an almond either, but first and foremost i am not a bovine. therefore, i am not going to drink milk that is intended for a baby bovine.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    To me, almond milk tastes 1000x better than skim.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love both and use them in different ways. Also depends on how my macros are looking for the day
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    kkzmom11 wrote: »
    personally, i prefer almond milk to cow's because i am not a cow. i am not an almond either, but first and foremost i am not a bovine. therefore, i am not going to drink milk that is intended for a baby bovine.

This. Psychologically, I just can't stomach a glass of milk. Even as a kid (fortunately in a family of lactose-intolerant people), milk was never forced.

I prefer almond milk as a substitute for anything I would use regular for. Cereal, smoothies, just a glass, dunking cookies...