how do people eat so much fiber!?

Options
I am always under on fiber!! :( I see peoples posts saying "way over on fiber".. how do you do this!?

Replies

• RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Usually people who eat unprocessed, whole foods have no problem getting enough fiber :)
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Usually people who eat unprocessed, whole foods have no problem getting enough fiber :)

also those who eat fresh raw organic foods, be it whole grain or fruits and veggies.... just think fresh raw organic!
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I add wheat bran to oat meal and other recipes, mix it in with ground beef or turkey meatballs anything with sauce and you won't even know its there
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    I have trouble with that too. I try to eat several servings of vegetables every day to attempt to meet my goal, but I also use metamucil when I have to. Same thing with protein, I occasionally go grab a protein drink at the end of the night if I'm under.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I slowly learned how I could add fiber here and there, and now it really adds up. Simple switches like whole wheat bread and pasta, and brown rice really help. Now I find fiber in unsuspecting places, it's in my Kashi cereal and the protein bars I like.

Just start by making small changes.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have 2 protein shakes a day with 33% of my daily fiber in each shake, then whole grains, raw nuts and veggies at dinner.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I mix in 1/3 cup of oatbran buds in a fat free yogurt (35 calorie yogurt, 80 calories for the buds) - gives me 11 grams of fiber for just the oatbran buds - almost your daily intake for fiber :) great snack as the buds are crunchy...makes you quite regular too...lol
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble most days getting over 30g fiber. Like previously said, if you eat whole foods, it's easy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Double check the food database items you're using. Sometimes people don't add ALL the nutritional info, and leave off things like fiber and sodium.

If they are accurate, eat more fresh fruits and veggies, and beans beans the magical fruit, or look for foods that advertise themselves as being high fiber. Fiber One has a key lime yogurt that's really yummy. And Fiber Plus bars are delicious! Just be forewarned... if you're not used to a lot of fiber, you're going to be fartin' like biker revvin' his Harley's engine. Drink a lot of water with it.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruit! I usually have a nice big salad at lunch, with plenty of veggies, and for snacks I'll have fruit or veggies/hummus. And if I do eat rice or bread, it's always brown rice and wheat bread, which has more fiber. If you open your diary up, we can see what you're eating and how you may be able to incorporate more fiber.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I'm at 29g today...take a look, it's open...
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat a Fiber One bar every day, the Oats and Caramel one. It is super yummy, 140 calories and 9 grams of fiber. I eat it for breakfast and it helps me stay full through out the day. Plus it is just over half of my fiber for the day! :o)
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    'Beans, Beans the magical fruit' - very true statement! I make a homemade navy bean and ground beef soup/chili that has 20 g. of fiber in 1 cup serving. Otherwise, granola and then veggies, lots of green veggies.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Berries are my new favorite treat! I can't say it enough: berries, berries, berries. I love blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. You get a lot of fiber from them (just add a little bit of vanilla soy or almond milk and a tiny bit of sugar and it's delicious!).

Plus, I have oatmeal every day which is a great source of fiber.

Best.

Debbie
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Berries are my new favorite treat! I can't say it enough: berries, berries, berries. I love blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. You get a lot of fiber from them (just add a little bit of vanilla soy or almond milk and a tiny bit of sugar and it's delicious!).

Plus, I have oatmeal every day which is a great source of fiber.

Best.

Debbie
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Flax meal is also a way to get in extra fiber without too much trouble. You can add it to yogurt, oatmeal, breading for meats, soups, stews, sprinkle it on a PBJ, just about anything, really. Not only does it have lots of fiber (3 grams per 2 Tbsp), it also has 2 grams of protein and lots of Omega-3s, more than the fish oil pills my husband's doctor advised him to take for his cholesterol. All for about 70 calories.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Raisin Bran...and adding flax seed to stuff. Coming from someone who doesn't eat tons of fruits and veggies.(working on that though)
  • lamariem
    lamariem Posts: 6
    Options
    When I was really, really good at getting my fiber in, I was eating whole grains for breakfast, an apple for a snack, a big salad for lunch, an orange for an afternoon snack, and tons of high-fiber veggies at dinner. Grains, veggies, fruit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I eat a Fiber One bar every day, the Oats and Caramel one. It is super yummy, 140 calories and 9 grams of fiber. I eat it for breakfast and it helps me stay full through out the day. Plus it is just over half of my fiber for the day! :o)

I love Fiber One bars! Had one of the Caramel ones this morning, but a generic that Fry's/Kroger sells, They are also very good and a lot cheaper.

The recommendations for fiber are different for men and women. In either case, MFP has the goal set far too low.

Men - up to age 50: 38 grams -- over 50: 30 grams
    Women - up to age 50: 25 grams -- over 50: 21 grams
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of raspberries for snack with my activia yogurt. Just mix it together and voila! the raspberries have apx 8g of fibre! I just buy frozen cause it's cheaper. Apples are also apx 5g of fibre or so. I was eating fibre one bars but I wasn't so crazy about the high fructose corn syrup and other preservatives. Ever since I started eating the frozen berries for snack, I'm rarely ever below my fibre count.