Quest bars - protein bars: What is your opinion on this product?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    TERRIBLE now that they changed formula. But come to think you may like since you haven't gotten the chance to try the deliciousness that is the old recipe. You will prob like them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Ooooo another little tip for Quest ordering. You can make your own cases (meaning you get the case price instead of the individual bar or chip price) with whatever flavors you want as long as the order adds up to however many is in a case.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    my local health food/vitamin store has them
    my walmart does not have them
    if you want to save on shipping, walmart's Pure Protein bars are almost just as good
    pure protein dark chocolate 1gram sugar, 20 grams protein, 190 calories,
    none of these are as good as cheesecake - for those worried about taste.
    if they are delicious they could contain a heap of a lot of sugar.

Bummer. Comparing them to Pure Protein is a big turn off for me. Those things remind me of tar. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    they're just ok...personally i'm really not much into that stuff anyway...but really, the way people go on about them on MFP, you'd think they were giving people multiple orgasms or something.

I'm pretty sure there's a great church of quest somewhere...it's like a religion around here or something.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    my local health food/vitamin store has them
    my walmart does not have them
    if you want to save on shipping, walmart's Pure Protein bars are almost just as good
    pure protein dark chocolate 1gram sugar, 20 grams protein, 190 calories,
    none of these are as good as cheesecake - for those worried about taste.
    if they are delicious they could contain a heap of a lot of sugar.

Bummer. Comparing them to Pure Protein is a big turn off for me. Those things remind me of tar. :(

They taste NOTHING like pure protein
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I tried the white chocolate and raspberry one and compared to the other protein bar I tried, it was much, much better. It really was pretty good. If I'd had had another, I probably would've eaten it.

I just wanted to see what all the hoopla was about, though. I don't eat them on a regular basis. They're just candy bars with protein powder mixed in and that's not workable for me. If I'm going to get my vitamins and minerals in, I cannot waste 200 calories on protein bars.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I tried the salt + vinegar and sour cream + cheddar chips that were good (S+v was way better and I'm not a fan usually of that flavor). The BBQ ones left a weird after taste. I didn't care for that one as much.
    I've never tried the bars but happy to see many places I shop carry them. I'd prefer to try them before buying a case of them.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Chop up a s'mores quest bar into about 20- 25 little pieces, put on some parchment paper on a pan bake at 350 for about 7 mins. toss on top of some greek yogurt. So filling and so good I'm telling you.
  • hoshana42
    hoshana42 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Ooooo another little tip for Quest ordering. You can make your own cases (meaning you get the case price instead of the individual bar or chip price) with whatever flavors you want as long as the order adds up to however many is in a case.

I didn't know this! Thank you for the advice, I'll certainly be doing that next time!

Also an update, I received my quest bars yesterday. Popped the chocolate brownie one in the microwave. It was heavenly!
  • hoshana42
    hoshana42 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    Chop up a s'mores quest bar into about 20- 25 little pieces, put on some parchment paper on a pan bake at 350 for about 7 mins. toss on top of some greek yogurt. So filling and so good I'm telling you.

I'll add that to my recipe book. Sounds fantastic!
  • Hernanni
    Hernanni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The cookies and cream one is fantastic! It has actual chunks of cookies and cream. The other ones have an iffy texture but are good when baked/microwaved.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I hate Splenda / sucralose with a passion. Am glad they started using stevia. STRAWBERRY CHEESECAAAAAAAKE!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    May I just note: I found out YESTERDAY that they reformulated and discovered today that the Peanut Butter ones I have are from the new formula. I never would have guessed it before. However, before yesterday I was thinking my memory of them was better and that maybe I had too many and didn't like the flavor anymore. Today, eating one for the first time with this knowledge it made sense. It is sweeter or something. I think I'll retry the other flavors that were not my favorite and see if I like those better. Le sad.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    I hate Splenda / sucralose with a passion. Am glad they started using stevia. STRAWBERRY CHEESECAAAAAAAKE!

they use sucralose in a lot of them
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    May I just note: I found out YESTERDAY that they reformulated and discovered today that the Peanut Butter ones I have are from the new formula. I never would have guessed it before. However, before yesterday I was thinking my memory of them was better and that maybe I had too many and didn't like the flavor anymore. Today, eating one for the first time with this knowledge it made sense. It is sweeter or something. I think I'll retry the other flavors that were not my favorite and see if I like those better. Le sad.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was buying them and thought it was just my tastes or bad batch or something. I even made a thread on here asking what the issue was but then discovered the change. So disappointing.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    up until recently, i loved quest bars - particularly double chocolate chunk and apple pie. but recently there's been a change, and they are less sweet with less flavor and a chemical-y overtone that is unpleasant and that you can smell as well as taste. i emailed quest about this, and they sent me a ticket system link. their ticket system is public (weird!), like a board, and almost all the recent tickets are about the change in taste.

btw, beside making quest bars unpleasant to taste, i'm concerned as none of the ingredients listed should have this taste/smell, which is apparently in all the new bars. yeah, there's natural flavorings, which could taste like just about anything, but i can't see why one would add an icky taste.
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    I have come accustomed to the Chocolate Chunk. It wasn't great when I first tried it but now its one of my favorite flavors. Sept 29th they have a limited edition flavor revealed! I hope its pumpkin!

It is pumpkin.. Saw it on their Instagram
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Hernanni wrote: »
    The cookies and cream one is fantastic! It has actual chunks of cookies and cream. The other ones have an iffy texture but are good when baked/microwaved.

To each their own but I tried one of these today, my first Quest bar, and I found it revolting. It tasted nothing like cookies to me, and I could barely finish it (but didn't have anything else to eat so I did). The texture is awful so I think I'm done with Quest bars.

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I get my best deals on them on ebay. I like them I have severe allergies though so my diet is limited.