How I “myth busted” my way to 85 pounds lighter ! Pics included

Replies

• Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Great job!!!!!!!! :)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    You offer some great advice and I love that you supported it with results. Thanks for sharing! You have done a great job and you are looking great!
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Thanks for sharing! Nicely done!
  • CJBasque1977
    CJBasque1977 Posts: 40 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    congrats on your success OP ..

I want to clear up one think you said which is "sure, some carbs are bad for you" …No carbs are bad for you unless you have a medical condition. The only "bad" carb is the one that put you in a caloric surplus or the one that makes you not meet your goals.

Good point :) carbs are my kryptonite! If I don't watch it they always put me in a caloric surplus - when I start, I have trouble stopping. Protein and making sure my carbs are whole grain does help.

• YNinaSmith
    YNinaSmith Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Fitness Pals! I’ve recently hit the 85 lbs lost mark. I’ve gone from a size 22 to a size 10 in the last year. I’ve lost 12 inches around my hips, waist and chest areas. I still have some work to do. But I’ve decided the scale is no longer the main concern.

My new goal is exercise – I need to be more consistent with strength training.
    As I focus on new goals, I thought I would share some of my lessons learned from the first part of my journey. I’m no expert – but I hope that some of these thoughts will help anyone else kickstart their journey.

I can’t eat carbs – Sure some carbs are bad for you. But avoiding them completely kept me on the perpetual yo-yo diet hamster wheel. I wouldn’t eat carrots because they had too much “sugar”.
    Here’s what I’ve learned –
    • Eat fruit and whole grains – just watch the portion size
    • Stay away from over processed white flour most of the time
    • Does the food have any nutritional value? No? Then don’t eat it
    • Eat them before 4pm
    • Quinoa is awesome

I don’t have any willpower –
    I used to believe that my problem was that I didn’t have enough willpower to avoid overeating or “bad” foods. This meant restricting my calories so much during the day and then being so famished at dinner that I would probably eat twice my daily calories! And then I would continue to snack at night while watching tv. Turns out, when I allow myself to eat something of substance at breakfast and lunch, it’s incredibly easy not to overeat at dinner. And I never snack at night anymore! I had it backwards for so many years!

I can eat as much as I want as long as I exercise – No, that’s called maintaining! Yes, exercise is important. For many, many reasons. But nutrition is 80% of the battle. I may have days where work and life get in the way of exercising, but I can always control what I consume. If I don’t overeat, then I don’t have to worry about burning it off.

I can’t do that –
    I said that about so many things. But that’s because I wanted to do everything perfectly from the beginning. The best example is: I can’t run! Well of course, I couldn’t run 5k my first time out. I needed to work at it. The important thing was to start. C25K is awesome by the way!

I can do this on my own –
    That may have been true. I had the knowledge but couldn’t stick with it. If I could have done it on my own, I would have. Asking for help and signing out for a weight loss program held me accountable so I would make smatter choices when faced with an obstacle – whether emotional or physical.

I’m always looking for supportive friends and would love to support you with your goals! Feel free to add me.

2009 vs 2015
    774mhd7635jy.png

My wedding dress - August 2010 vs August 2015
    c373ycjmjv8n.jpg

My first meeting with my weight loss counsellor - August 19 2014
    xy0v6kwjhcgt.jpg

Just climbed a mountain - September 2015
    8dmxpqotx4yw.jpg

I've got a question..... in the picture with the sweater..... how did you lose your stomach? Did you have the hanging pooch? Hope the questions are ok..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    Great thread, and yes, some carbs are not nutritious at all. The heavily refined carbs just supply calories, and in me, they tend to produce more hunger feelings. Totally not worth it.

Good for you for figuring out what works for you! You're doing awesome!
  • CJBasque1977

[/quote]
    I've got a question..... in the picture with the sweater..... how did you lose your stomach? Did you have the hanging pooch? Hope the questions are ok..
    [/quote]

Question is totally fine! I do have loose skin around my abdomen ( and arms and thighs). I'm 38, had a child and have been overweight for most of my adult life so loose skin was bound to happen. Not one of the lucky ones with super elastic skin. I'm told staying hydrated is supposed to help. I'm going to see if another year of eating right and build lean muscle will help.
  • CJBasque1977
    Great thread, and yes, some carbs are not nutritious at all. The heavily refined carbs just supply calories, and in me, they tend to produce more hunger feelings. Totally not worth it.

Good for you for figuring out what works for you! You're doing awesome!

Thanks Sabine!
  • CJBasque1977
    becky53012 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing! Nicely done!

Thanks!
  • CJBasque1977
    Marcia661 wrote: »
    Great job!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks!

• healthylili2015
    healthylili2015 Posts: 24 Member
    AWESOME WORK WOW!!
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Congrats on your success, and great job!

My only other nitpick not already mentioned is the "Quinoa is awesome" -- not really. I fell into the healthfood bandwagon on this one and was incredibly disappointed. It's massively overpriced now because of how popular it's gotten, and tastes no different than grits or polenta. Sure people tout it as some kind of miraculous wonder-carb (most of the reasoning applies to plenty other foods as well) but in general I think you can accomplish the same recipes with rice or grits =) But as always, to each their own!
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Great job. But people don't understand that if you do not eat sugar/carbs you will die.
  • nicolenailah
    nicolenailah Posts: 8 Member
    Congratulations! Awesome job!
  • CJBasque1977
    Congratulations! Awesome job!
    Thank you!

• CJBasque1977
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Great job. But people don't understand that if you do not eat sugar/carbs you will die.
    Yes I've been guilty of going overboard with the low carb fads in the past. And all it accomplished was a short period of weight loss and then regaining it all and more. I just needed to remove the unnecessary sugar from my diet. I have cut out over processed white flour and other foods filled with corn syrup for over a year now and rarely miss it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Love the myth busters! You've done so great!!
  • CJBasque1977
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Love the myth busters! You've done so great!!

Thank you! You are so inspiring! I love hearing about your daily activities!
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    Totally rocked it! You look awesome. And great wedding dress!
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    That's awesome and thanks for the advice!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!