I Give Up

Options
I have no energy due to stress & depression. Some days are good & when they are I'm doing good with exercising & eating right but when days are not good, I fall off. It never fails. So I give up. Its stressful trying to keep up with this lifestyle.

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you're getting stressed you're probably doing too much at once and need to ease into it more slowly. What is your weekly weight loss goal?
  • poohtaytay
    poohtaytay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1lb.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you've bitten off more than you can chew, if you will?

If you're trying to eat less, exercise more AND totally change your eating habits, maybe picking one to focus on for 2-3 weeks would be helpful.

You could try eating what you usually do and logging as accurately as possible. Once you're in that routine, add in food changes OR exercise, not necessarily both.

Stick with that change for 2-3 weeks, then add in the last item, whatever it ends up being.

Also, on those "bad" days? Go for a walk. Even if you can't get to the gym or do your usual workout, tell yourself you have to go out for a walk. It can be a 5 minute one, but get out there. It will help.

~Lyssa
  • adriannacoates80
    Options
    Some days will be harder than others just remember each day you meet your personal goal is a victory. I have slipped up and giving in to cravings and missed gym days as well. I try to compensate the next day by adding an extra 5 or 10 minutes to my work out or just cut back a little more on the days it is easier to resist temptation. A visit to your doctor might not be amiss either to rule out blood sugar issues which can cause low energy and mild feelings of depression. Just keep trying and hang in there
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more help than can be offered here. A healthy lifestyle shouldn't be so hard that a "bad day" sends it into meltdown. If you don't have some help already, I would seek it out.

Otherwise, maybe look at doing maintenance for your bad days. It will give you extra calories to eat which should help when you're stressed/depressed. By eating at maintenance for those days your progress will just stall instead of going backwards and then when you DO have more good days, you can keep going.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you are so stressed and depressed, see your doctor. You could be deficient in some nutrients and vitamins. I had a vitamin B and D deficiency and when I was able to increase that, my energy level also increased. Make weekly goals on your diet and exercise. Totally changing all at once is so hard. 1 week might be to eat a healthy breakfast every day, take your vitamins with omega 3 added and to take a 15 minute walk 3 times a week. After a few weeks, add a fatty fish like salmon to your diet once a week and increase the walk to 20 minutes. You can make subtle changes like open faced sandwiches using 1 slice of bread. Brown rice instead of bread. Increasing your water intake.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    randomsue wrote: »
    If you are so stressed and depressed, see your doctor. You could be deficient in some nutrients and vitamins. I had a vitamin B and D deficiency and when I was able to increase that, my energy level also increased. Make weekly goals on your diet and exercise. Totally changing all at once is so hard. 1 week might be to eat a healthy breakfast every day, take your vitamins with omega 3 added and to take a 15 minute walk 3 times a week. After a few weeks, add a fatty fish like salmon to your diet once a week and increase the walk to 20 minutes. You can make subtle changes like open faced sandwiches using 1 slice of bread. Brown rice instead of bread. Increasing your water intake.

But don't do those subtle changes all at once. One at a time. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When you want this badly enough, nothing will stop you.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

While I want to agree with this, I cannot. I don't have personal experience with depression, but I have seen what it can do to people.

@Poohtaytay - See a doctor. You might need to get in control of your depression. Weight loss is important, but mental health is more so. While weight loss might help with depression and self image if you have a borderline case, you might need professional assistance. Get some help. If you are just having one or two bad days, then don't worry about it and move on. If you are always depressed, get some help.
  • Pattypoo57
    Pattypoo57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. 1 pound less is good...it will get better. Take it one day at a time. Sometimes we stress because we struggle - try to just do your best and not dwell to much on it..I have times like that and it makes it hard to focus when we are consumed when we struggle. Remember, you are making life changes, so 1 down is better than 1 up!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

I agree with all except this one. Clinical depression (if that's what op is experiencing) drags people down to the point where it can be difficult to function. But under ordinary circumstances, yes.

All I was going to add is that if you can manage some working out, try to force yourself. It can do wonders to boost ones mood. I've experienced clinical depression and all doctors/therapists have encouraged me to get some kind of exercise.

Be good to yourself, and never give up.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OP you sound like you have similar experiences I have at times. Depression is difficult enough on its own. Add in the desire to lose weight and exercise can potentially complicate our ability to deal with just the depression.

Personally I have so far been able to add the weight loss desire to my life. I don't eat as well balanced as I could and I don't exercise. I am trying to tackle one thing at a time. So far 12 weeks in I am doing far better than I imagined.

When you get in one of those situations where you are fighting the weight of depression, don't add to it. Take care of the depression first. Yeah it may cause a day or two or three that you may not follow your weight loss plan very well. But I have found with depression it is difficult for me to deal with things beyond that depression event at that time. Come back to what you were planning as soon as you can.

Now if your depression is causing you major problems in your simple daily life then a doctor visit is warranted. You don't have to deal with it alone. There is help to get you through this.

When you have a period of good feeling prepare as best you can for a potential time in the future when you are having problems.

I have dealt with atypical depression for more than 30 years. I still do and I know how difficult it can be day to day. You are not alone in what you are experiencing. You can overcome this and get on track. Maybe not today or next week, but please don't say you are giving up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

I agree with all except this one. Clinical depression (if that's what op is experiencing) drags people down to the point where it can be difficult to function. But under ordinary circumstances, yes.

All I was going to add is that if you can manage some working out, try to force yourself. It can do wonders to boost ones mood. I've experienced clinical depression and all doctors/therapists have encouraged me to get some kind of exercise.

Be good to yourself, and never give up.

I agree. Since the OP already stated she was depressed, I assumed it was diagnosed by a physician and was being treated. I was referring to the weight loss portion of her statement and I stand by mine. If she wants it bad enough, she'll get it. If that means getting on medication, so that she can function in order to lose weight, then that's what shell do.
  • poohtaytay
    poohtaytay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on medication. Depression never goes away but there is treatment & I am utilizing every option there is. My dr is involved with my care & i happen to be vitamin D def as well which doesnt help. I agree with the comments of deal with the depression first. That's what I meant by giving up. That I need to focus on one thing @ a time & that being my mental state. I have a FAM of 7. I need to be my best self for them so weight loss has to take a back seat for right now
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    When you make weight loss a priority, it will happen. Like stated above, you really gotta want this in order for it to work. Otherwise, its a waste of time.
    But its commendable that you have already sought help for your depression issues and are currently on medicine. Hopefully this will help soon for you so you can then get back to focusing on your weight.
    Just know that when your ready, you can do this. I was once in your shoes op. I remember being depressed, hopeless, no money, no job, no car, over weight, and baby to care for. I was finally sick of being depressed all the time. I was tired of being miserable. I was tired of being broke. I knew I wanted more.I knew I wanted to lose the weight.
    So I did it. I worked day and night sorting my problems and issues out. Now , I weigh 135lbs, take no more depression meds, have two jobs, decent car, great credit, and am happy. So just know you can get past all this and move forward . it is possible and you do deserve to be happy
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    When you make weight loss a priority, it will happen. Like stated above, you really gotta want this in order for it to work. Otherwise, its a waste of time.
    But its commendable that you have already sought help for your depression issues and are currently on medicine. Hopefully this will help soon for you so you can then get back to focusing on your weight.
    Just know that when your ready, you can do this. I was once in your shoes op. I remember being depressed, hopeless, no money, no job, no car, over weight, and baby to care for. I was finally sick of being depressed all the time. I was tired of being miserable. I was tired of being broke. I knew I wanted more.I knew I wanted to lose the weight.
    So I did it. I worked day and night sorting my problems and issues out. Now , I weigh 135lbs, take no more depression meds, have two jobs, decent car, great credit, and am happy. So just know you can get past all this and move forward . it is possible and you do deserve to be happy

^ So true.

The hopelessness and scary "why bother" feelings of depression make that bold part above so easy to forget. It's great you're under a doctor's care, that is an important step. It must be daunting taking care of such a large family, and you're right—they need you, but remember they will also need a well, healthy and happy you, too. Hang in there. ♥

• lucietle
    lucietle Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Yeah, if you really want it so bad, you'll find a way you just gotta be patient
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think you're making the smart choice. So many people go through the motions of dieting when they really don't want to do it. Then they get at themselves for not losing weight. It's just a crazy cycle and should be avoided.

If you aren't motivated to lose weight, give up. Someday, when you are motivated, you'll do it. :)