Just discovered I'm 5'3.5 and not 5'5

Options
It might sound silly to most but all throughout my life I thought I measured 5'5, its even on my drivers license!! Last monday I went to the Dr's for my physical appt. and I over heard the nurse chart out loud saying height 5'3.5. At that moment I was like nonsense I'm 5'5! She said ok lets measure u again.....and to my SUPRISE 5'3.5 it was.
Now it makes sense how I have calculated my calorie goals all wrong and it makes a difference on my weightloss efforts. Now I can see why I am losing at such a small rate.
I have since changed my settings and we shall see. I have also tightened up my logging. Time will tell.

Replies

• CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lol!!! Well happy new beginning. :) :')
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cardi333 wrote: »
    Lol!!! Well happy new beginning. :) :')

Haha thanks. It was a bitterweet "Ahaaa" moment for me. In my head I thought well now I know why my weightloss is slow and then I thought bummer that means I need less calories.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't laugh, but that is one of the more unique reasons for not losing weight at the expected pace! At least you know now!
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I shouldn't laugh, but that is one of the more unique reasons for not losing weight at the expected pace! At least you know now!

I know right! I've been living a lie all these years lmao I feel like a total airhead :D But yeah now I know.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. Always thought I was 5'9". Once, at the doctors office, found out I was 5'7.5". I was so disappointed. LOL. Thought I was more of an "amazon" than I really was.

Then I went back to work telling everyone of the experience so we all took a moment out to measure ourselves. Every single one of us was shorter than we had originally though.

Needless to say, like you, I needed to adjust some of my calories and goals......which was fine.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. Always thought I was 5'9". Once, at the doctors office, found out I was 5'7.5". I was so disappointed. LOL. Thought I was more of an "amazon" than I really was.

Then I went back to work telling everyone of the experience so we all took a moment out to measure ourselves. Every single one of us was shorter than we had originally though.

Needless to say, like you, I needed to adjust some of my calories and goals......which was fine.

Too funny lol. I'm glad I'm not alone. I must say though, I liked being 5'5. Am I now considered short? Or still in average category?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Omg! I've never heard of such a thing happening! When people ask questions about why they're plateauing, I'm going to refer them to this thread. Haha.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Omg! I've never heard of such a thing happening! When people ask questions about why they're plateauing, I'm going to refer them to this thread. Haha.

I know, it's totally silly I get it, but it's my reality!! No lie :p
  • yesimpson
    Options
    I feel like I want to measure myself now... I think I'm 5'6, but now I'm questioning it.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I feel like I want to measure myself now... I think I'm 5'6, but now I'm questioning it.

Lol, I told the nurse "are u kidding me, I'm shrinking. How is this possible?!?

You never know, haha go for it. You might be in for a suprise. Or not :)
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just found out the opposite actually...decided to measure myself and I'm actually an inch or so taller than I thought. I've thought for years I was just under 5'4". I was aiming for a lower bmi class and it turned out I was already there! Happy surprise in my case. Kinda wondering when I grew though, since the last time I measured I was already an adult.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lol I admit I'm scared to have myself measured for the same reason.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "Ooo, ooh, maybe it works in reverse! Maybe I'm taller than I thought!" *gets out measuring tape*

Damn, still 5' 1/2." :p
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    How funny! For the longest time I thought I was 5'2" - I can't remember exactly how this height got stuck in my head but I was adamant about it. My husband didn't believe me and measured one day. It turns out I was wrong and 2 inches shorter!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Whaaat!? Haha, funny thread. I know I am 148cm and 7mm tall, not sure how you could imagine being taller than you really are.
  • vxldn
    vxldn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gonna go measure myself right now lol. That's crazy.
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just found out I'm a half inch taller than I thought which was a lovely surprise
  • yesimpson
    Options
    I'm the height I thought, but my brother is an inch taller and his girlfriend is over an inch shorter!
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    No joke people, as funny as it sounds!! I must have been measured wrong when I was younger, which lead me to beleive what I was told. Up until now. Sounds crazy but it happened.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Whaaat!? Haha, funny thread. I know I am 148cm and 7mm tall, not sure how you could imagine being taller than you really are.

Well I didn't "imagine". I was told I measured 5'5 at one point. They must of been wrong and I beleived that all this time. Go figure?!