Eating junk cause its there

Options
Anyone else eat or binge on junk just cause it's there ? My kids had a birthday party yesterday and came home with goodies bags each filled with candy !(tootsie rolls, gum,laffy taffy, chocolate...) and so now that its been sitting here staring at me i go ahead and eat the laffy taffy minis and dubble bubble neither which i like but its sugar (my weakness) i stayed within my calories today but wishing i hadnt wasted 160 calories on crap and rather on something i would have enjoyed more anyone else have these moments just cause its there lol

Replies

• Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When my kids bring home candy they're not going to eat I just toss it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm human and nobody's perfect. Halloween is going to be rough for me. :) But I do really try to leave a few calories for sweet stuff through my day just for that reason. I'm more of a chocolate person though, and candy like taffy doesn't really do much for me, so I try to have some kind of chocolate daily.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't fit into my allotment I don't. Self control is key in these situations.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You stayed within your calorie limit. No harm done. If you had been stuffing yourself with sweets while in a surplus then maybe you could get angry at yourself. Once every now and then is not a problem. You also recognised and acknowledged that you wanted to eat some sweets right then and listened to your cravings and did it in a controlled manner. 160 calories for the odd simple pleasure is nothing.
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes! Apart from rather than kids, it's my partner bring home sweet treats! Haha :)

I try to limit how much of it I eat, log it honestly, burn off the calories(x2) if I can, try to stay under my calorie allowance &, worst case scenario, I compensate for it the next day :)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If it fits within my calorie limit then yes.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Dealing with junk food sitting around is always going to be a problem. Putting it away helps some. Maybe divide it up in small portions in small bags and use it for a treat once in a while. I usually have a gummy piece of fruit candy after swimming. There are things you can do. Also, it not good for your kids to have alot of candy sitting around. Giving them small portions once in a while might be a good idea.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm Halloween ....bring on the laffy taffy baby!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Get it out of sight, otherwise every time you see it, you have to make a decision about whether or not to eat it, and that's mentally exhausting. Studies have shown that the more obvious and close treats are, the more they will get eaten. You can read about that in Brian Wansink's "Mindless Eating." That particular study is not covered here, but here's some helpful tips: http://www.smallplatemovement.org/doc/MindlessEating-PB2010.pdf
  • sweetiepie781
    sweetiepie781 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Well had my kids pick out a few of their favorites and the rest is garbage even though i dont even like laffy taffy it was sugar and calling my name lol but still hated that i wasted 160 calories on junk instead of eating a yummy granola bar or some other better choice to use my calories on
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Well had my kids pick out a few of their favorites and the rest is garbage even though i dont even like laffy taffy it was sugar and calling my name lol but still hated that i wasted 160 calories on junk instead of eating a yummy granola bar or some other better choice to use my calories on

All I saw was...don't like laffy taffy....this hurt..hurt me real deep.
  • MrsSgtBerger
    MrsSgtBerger Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    If it doesn't fit into my allotment I don't. Self control is key in these situations.

Pretty much this.
    Would you do heroine because it was just there?
    Probably not because it's bad for you.
    Same concept goes with eating something "just because".
  • sweetiepie781
    sweetiepie781 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    HaHa @ ilovecereal1982 well lets just say its not my candy of choice more of a chocolate eater lol
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    Mmmmmm chocolate laffy taffy
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Pretty much this.
    Would you do heroine because it was just there?
    Probably not because it's bad for you.
    Same concept goes with eating something "just because".

Problem is you don't do heroin when it fits your macros or once in awhile as a treat. You don't cut back on other drugs throughout the day so you can savor a little heroin in the evening so you don't feel deprived.

My point is, it's a mindset with food we don't have with heroin.

And except for maybe a Type 1 diabetic with no meds or the rare binge-purger whose stomach explodes, it's not immediately harmful, much less lethal.

All this makes it more difficult to resist.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    i had that moment about 5 days ago my kids bringed cakes home from school and i ate like half of them adding up too 3000 calories because cakes and doughnuts are my weakness but eating that much cakes 8x was out of the ordinary for me.. idk what was wrong with me but i just would'nt stop eating them...
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    i had that moment about 5 days ago my kids bringed cakes home from school and i ate like half of them adding up too 3000 calories because cakes and doughnuts are my weakness but eating that much cakes 8x was out of the ordinary for me.. idk what was wrong with me but i just would'nt stop eating them...

Give yourself a break. If I had cakes in front of me I would probably binge too if it was chocolate.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Get it out of sight, otherwise every time you see it, you have to make a decision about whether or not to eat it, and that's mentally exhausting. Studies have shown that the more obvious and close treats are, the more they will get eaten. You can read about that in Brian Wansink's "Mindless Eating." That particular study is not covered here, but here's some helpful tips: http://www.smallplatemovement.org/doc/MindlessEating-PB2010.pdf

Yup. Whenever there are treats in my house I move them to the basement refrigerator. Out of sight, out of mind.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Ouch! But kudos for still being here! Mini binges like that have stopped me dead in my tracks before.

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

Give yourself a break. If I had cakes in front of me I would probably binge too if it was chocolate.
    i like chocolate too one of my favorites but.. it's weird that if theres alot of chocolate laying around i dont over eat on it much...