The downside of being fit and in shape...

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you dress like one, nobody should be saying that to you. Your parents certainly should not be calling you names.

Move out of the house.
  • the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After a year I have went from 165lbs to 135lbs. I am 24 years old. This is the smallest I've been in my adult life and I feel great.

They are trying to control you. Put downs are a classic tactic. I imagine that your change upsets them - how dare you take control yourself? What next? From what wild spring did this change come?

The best thing you can do for yourself is keep being amazing - you sound it. How do you respond when they call you names/make comments?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    However there is a major downside to being slim which is I am often slut shamed

That's so wrong. Why are people always shaming sluts? It's terrible.

What?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    Time to stop talking to the parents then.
    True but I also get a bit of disapproval from others in my community. I live in a conservative region where the average woman is overweight after having kids.
    How do you live in the 1950s when it is the 2010s?
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OP, I would certainly stay away from parents who spoke to me like that. Nobody has the right to talk like that to anyone else.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

8b086199_2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpeg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

8b086199_2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

This is a good point...and good gif. :D
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think your problem has nothing to do with your weight.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Setting boundaries with your parents is your best move. If the conversation moves toward insulting your clothing (or anything else about you), end it. Walk away, hang up the phone, do not respond. Continue until they get the point.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think your mother is a teeeeeeeny bit jealous of you.
  • dedicatedfitness3244
    Options
    True but I also get a bit of disapproval from others in my community. I live in a conservative region where the average woman is overweight after having kids.

It could be because I don't live in a fashion conscious city. many are overweight and wear yoga pants all the time
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your title is wrong. It should be "The downside of having terrible people as parents."

OP, you are an adult. You don't have to associate with people who treat you poorly, family or not. I would suggest telling your parents that the next time they make negative remarks about your appearance, you will cut the conversation short and refrain from talking to them. It's up to you whether you want to put a time limit on the timeout but keep in mind that people your parents' age generally don't change their ways. Then, when they make a remark, which they definitely will, hang up or walk out and stand by the no contact rule. You will probably feel bad about it at first but after a few weeks you'll feel a lot better.

Yes, i agree with this^^.
    If you still live at home, move out asap!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It could be because I don't live in a fashion conscious city. many are overweight and wear yoga pants all the time

So, hold on a minute. Where you live yoga pants are fine, not sexy and acceptable but a skirt just above the knee is the work of the devil?

Clearly, I am sure you can fathom that none of this makes any rational sense and attitudes like that should be laughed at for being complete nonsense.

You should resist anyone trying to foist their morality and false piety onto you through the use of shame. I'm all for respecting my parents but respect goes both ways. Except them to show some to you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants and the shaming that I believe comes from a kind of over-fastidiousness, brought to mind this lady:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/a-christian-blogger-stopped-wearing-yoga-pants-for-her-husba
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was a plump young woman in a conservative religious community, I was counseled about my jiggly breasts. When this sort of fastidiousness sets in, nobody is the winner.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you are that opposed to their views, you need to either confront them and get them to stop making those remarks, or stop communicating with them.

Personally, I'd move somewhere more open-minded. I kind of want to know where this is so I don't ever move there. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's nowhere I would ever consider moving anyway.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I was a plump young woman in a conservative religious community, I was counseled about my jiggly breasts. When this sort of fastidiousness sets in, nobody is the winner.

My brain cannot even with that.

You have absolutely no control over that! What did they want you to do, tape/ace bandage the hell out of them???

As for the OP: Unfortunately, since you can't control other people and can only influence yourself, you have two options 1. Do what makes you happy and stop worrying about what other people think 2. Cater to their opinions and wear whatever they deem acceptable (at least part of the time).
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    After a year I have went from 165lbs to 135lbs. I am 24 years old. This is the smallest I've been in my adult life and I feel great. I look better in all of my clothes, post photos of myself online and enjoy the increased energy. However there is a major downside to being slim which is I am often slut shamed by my mother and others in my community. She has been calling me a *kitten* and a slut. I have worn casual dresses that were form fitted but came below the knee and have had my mother show absolute disapproval. Even though I'm slim, I'm still curvy and my body itself just doesn't seem appropriate to her. There's not much I can do and I don't think I should compromise my feminity and wear a potato bag. I'm also young and I don't want to dress like a church marm but at the same time I do realize I need to keep things classy which I do. But just the disapproval I get from her when I wear a knee or slightly above knee length skirt is hurtful. Even my father has called me a prostitute. The clothes I'm wearing is rather on the conservative side, a denim mini skirt with a blouse. I guess the only way a woman can come across as chaste is to be fat and overweight? Because that is the impression I'm getting..

envy is a deadly sin isn't it. either way its always difficult to deal with and envy is very destructive.

protect yourself and see the people who hurt you verbally and emotionally less often. maybe once a month for lunch in a public place./
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,697 Member
    Options
    +1 to the advice not to tolerate insults or abuse from anyone, including parents.

In addition: Some people and even cultures feel that sexuality is so shameful, so dangerous, that they see it *everywhere*, even places where it *isn't*. Hiding one's body in mummifying clothes, or fat (but not, apparently, 'lasciviously' jiggly fat!) becomes a way of burying sexuality; any act that makes one potentially more attractive (whether attractiveness was its motive or not) can be perceived as a sort of sexual overture. Often, special onus is put on women to repress any hint of sexuality because (it is alleged) 'men are weak and can't control themselves'.

This is (IMO) disordered thinking. Since you seemingly grew up in a sea of such values, you're lucky you haven't become infected with them.

Be who you are, and good luck navigating the difficulties with your family.
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what its for - fitness, career, personal choices, whatever - DO NOT TOLERATE INSULTS FROM ANYONE!!!

Its sad that your parents of all people are not supportive of you being healthy. But that is on them, not you. I agree with the folks saying you are an adult and need to distance yourself from anyone who is that negative of an influence in your life.

Losing weight, being fit and wearing clothes that fit DOES NOT make you a slut, a *kitten*, or anything else. It makes you someone who has worked for her fitness and is dressing for her body type.

Congratulations on your success. Do not let others take that away from you!