Getting through the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?

Options
General question and this is geared more toward those who lift weights -
What remedies/methods do you use to get through the delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) after lifting weights? I am looking for more than just the typical response of take some ibuprofen, rub on some muscle rub and ride it out.

Replies

• dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    foam roller, low intensity cardio, protein, massage.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    also, super cool profile pic. you should join us in the geek thread.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just a lighter workout, aka "active recovery". DOMS gets better faster if you work the muscles a bit.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    General question and this is geared more toward those who lift weights -
    What remedies/methods do you use to get through the delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) after lifting weights? I am looking for more than just the typical response of take some ibuprofen, rub on some muscle rub and ride it out.

K, how about, avoid any anti-inflammatories as many believe they counter the positive adaptation/repair process. Ride it out, low intensity movement/cardio.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Light cardio, stretching, and lots of water. DOMs become less of a problem the longer you lift. When you first start lifting, it could take up to a week, but a year in, you will be recovered in less than 48 hours likely
  • TrainingToBeAJedi
    Options
    @All: Great ideas...
    @gdyment That has some medical sense behind it. I need the blood to rush into those muscles, anti-inflamitories will thin the blood out which could potentially reduce growth.
    @_Bropollo_ It is really good to know that the muscle soreness or the DOMs will lesson the longer I do this.
  • TrainingToBeAJedi
    Options
    dogcatac wrote: »
    also, super cool profile pic. you should join us in the geek thread.

I will try and check it out.
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nothing really helps you just gotta deal with it. I still fall onto the toilet after leg day and ive been doing this a long time.
  • TrainingToBeAJedi
    TrainingToBeAJedi Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nothing really helps you just gotta deal with it. I still fall onto the toilet after leg day and ive been doing this a long time.
    So are you also potentially suggesting I get a padded toilet seat?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    whirlpool. massage. yin yoga. stretching, lose the bread, pasta, corn, butter and dairy. remain active after you lift and mostly...ride it out.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This conversation came up the gym this morning when a guy asked if I ever get sore. I explained that I am seldom not sore and the bodybuilder next to us added "I've been sore for 20 years and wouldn't change it for anything".

Soreness reminds me that I have limits that I have to keep pushing and reminds me that life isn't easy.
  • TrainingToBeAJedi
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    This conversation came up the gym this morning when a guy asked if I ever get sore. I explained that I am seldom not sore and the bodybuilder next to us added "I've been sore for 20 years and wouldn't change it for anything".

Soreness reminds me that I have limits that I have to keep pushing and reminds me that life isn't easy.

Rock on!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I find the more I use the sore muscles the less sore they become. A good 12 hour shift at work the day after a mad leg sesh is always a great way for me.
    Otherwise all I can really suggest is take a teaspoon of concrete and harden the f up
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ps that's a joke. But I was serious about moving around. Work is a great distraction.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Foamroll before and after workout. I always stretch after a high volume day (especially when hitting legs twice a week).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

which is funny- because I rarely get sore.

I'm ACHY- constantly. that is part and parcel of being an athlete- but I rarely get SORE. I have to go out of my way to get myself sore.

But back to the question at hand.
    1.) don't over do it.
    2.) hydrate
    3.) don't stop doing it
    4.) water water water
    5.) don't just stop working out b/c your sore- make sure you continue your plan with reasonable thought (if you're legs are so sore you can barely crawl to the head- perhaps a day of rest and a back day instead of more squats is a wiser path)
    6. water
    7.) foam roll if you can- when you really have DOMS- there is not foam rolling- that's just laughable- but roll if you can. LOL
    8.) light stretching
    9.) water

that' what I got.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind soreness is natural, however a loss of functional movement is not. If you work out and 2 days later you can't reach your arms above your head because it you're in excruciating pain... that's not good and you're over doing it.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

7.) foam roll if you can- when you really have DOMS- there is not foam rolling- that's just laughable- but roll if you can. LOL

Wut? Myofascial release...... Do you even roll bro?
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'm ACHY- constantly. that is part and parcel of being an athlete- but I rarely get SORE. I have to go out of my way to get myself sore.

1.) don't over do it.
    2.) hydrate
    3.) don't stop doing it
    4.) water water water
    5.) don't just stop working out b/c your sore- make sure you continue your plan with reasonable thought (if you're legs are so sore you can barely crawl to the head- perhaps a day of rest and a back day instead of more squats is a wiser path)
    6. water
    8.) light stretching
    9.) water

that' what I got.

Achy, sore, pick a term but as long as it isn't a"bad" pain you just get used to it. After a few weeks of exercise it will be much less intense so keep working out and you will be through it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

1.) don't over do it.
    2.) hydrate
    3.) don't stop doing it
    4.) water water water
    6. water
    8.) light stretching
    9.) water

that' what I got.

Pretty much this. I very rarely get full on DOMS, achy yes. Roll and move and I'm fine.