500-day streak: My most effecitve meal recipe

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »
    Theoretically you could toss everything into a crockpot except for the rice, cook on low for a few hours to let the flavors mingle, then make just the rice in a pot and throw everything in a bowl. then chow down. Looks delicious.

Agreed. Rice doesn't usually do well in a crock pot. But I would omit the amount of liquid I would use for the rice from the crock pot.

I cook rice pudding in my crockpot all the time. I does ok and it has dairy which is a crockpot no no.

I will say though that you have to watch it more which almost defeats the purpose of the crockpot. I would also think you would want to brown the beef on the stove. Gray crockpot beef is kinda icky.

Thanks for sharing. I bet this would be super yummy if you baked it in peppers like a stuffed pepper and maybe added just a smidge of melty cheese on top.

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sounds very good. Must try!

Bookmarked !
  • Bookie
    Bookie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this! But, I am confused on the calorie count. I'm probably doing something wrong here...

2 cups dry brown rice = 1280 calories (160 per 1/4 cup dry)
    2lbs ground beef (I use 93/7) = 1360 calories (170 per 4 oz raw)

Just these two ingredients alone would equal 330 calories per cup if this recipe makes 8 cups/servings (2640/8 = 330). The final total was 519 per serving when I entered it into the recipe builder. I understand that it will vary slightly depending on what specific brand/ingredients one is using, but this is a big difference. What am I missing? Help, please! Thank you :smile:
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This recipe looks like it would make way more than 8 cups. Maybe there was a typo.
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »
    Theoretically you could toss everything into a crockpot except for the rice, cook on low for a few hours to let the flavors mingle, then make just the rice in a pot and throw everything in a bowl. then chow down. Looks delicious.

Agreed. Rice doesn't usually do well in a crock pot. But I would omit the amount of liquid I would use for the rice from the crock pot.

I've had good luck with rice in the crockpot. Brown rice works much better than white rice. I do love my rice cooker though, so it's also not hard to cook up a batch and mix it in after everything is done.
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bookie wrote: »
    I really want to try this! But, I am confused on the calorie count. I'm probably doing something wrong here...

2 cups dry brown rice = 1280 calories (160 per 1/4 cup dry)
    2lbs ground beef (I use 93/7) = 1360 calories (170 per 4 oz raw)

Just these two ingredients alone would equal 330 calories per cup if this recipe makes 8 cups/servings (2640/8 = 330). The final total was 519 per serving when I entered it into the recipe builder. I understand that it will vary slightly depending on what specific brand/ingredients one is using, but this is a big difference. What am I missing? Help, please! Thank you :smile:

The recipe makes right about 16 cups, not 8 cups. Thanks for catching that!
    91/9 beef helps the calorie count. It's relatively inexpensive at Costco, comes in a bag of 5 1-lb packages in the freezer section.
    That should get you down around the 223 mark :)

• kerisimpson81
    kerisimpson81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i totally bought the ingredients for tomorrow's dinner.. i got 1lb ground turkey to 1 beef.. i'm excited i love tex-mexy stuff :)
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options

sandhop wrote: »
    You could also replace 1# of the ground beef with a can of black beans (rinsed). That would lower the calorie count by 445 total calories. It sounds like a great recipe and one I will try. Thanks

Great idea!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    i totally bought the ingredients for tomorrow's dinner.. i got 1lb ground turkey to 1 beef.. i'm excited i love tex-mexy stuff :)

How'd it turn out??
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I wonder what this would be like using quinoa instead of rice. Have you ever tried that? I might do that instead with ground chicken or turkey.
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. This looks good!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Making this right now! :) It smells awesome...

Edited to delete stupid question that I must've asked due to my extreme hunger and the awesome scents wafting through the kitchen. Lol - I figured it out!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best new (to me) recipes I've tried in a while. My husband and I both loved it! Thanks for sharing
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great meal! My whole family (and I have 5 kids) loved it!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    kristinels wrote: »
    This is one of the best new (to me) recipes I've tried in a while. My husband and I both loved it! Thanks for sharing
    Great meal! My whole family (and I have 5 kids) loved it!

That makes my day to know you guys liked it so much!! Thanks for posting :blush::blush:
  • RyanTahiti
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just made yet another batch, and this time I calculated the cost ... and was quite surprised:
    $14.06
    Yeah. That's it. For the entire supersized recipe. And it makes 16 servings.
    We're talking $0.88 per serving here.
    So not only is it delicious, filling, and nutritious ... it's also CHEAP!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this as soon as I can get to the store.
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    magtart wrote: »
    I'm going to try this as soon as I can get to the store.

Let us know what you think! I just reheated some for lunch :)

Tried diced avocado on it last week, and it was great. Melted cheddar is still my favorite topping.

• Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me