I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal, can I use the same formula to maintain weight?
  • coopertage
    coopertage Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ohmygosh! you look great! so inspirational to me....i just started this journey yesterday!

What would you say to someone like me that is just starting out? Tips and pitfalls?

Thanks!
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will try this. I also changed my workout to 1 hour and something more intense.
  • Beastby50
    Beastby50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely awesome. Thumbs up

Not sure if i missed it here but, can u stick up an general daily food intake for a training and non training day... or link me to a thread if already posted.
    ive got 5kg i wanna shake by end of Oct. I want to change things up a bit :)
    Thanks in advance
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    dredremeg wrote: »
    Hi Vismal, can I use the same formula to maintain weight?
    You'd need to increase you calories to something around 14-15 calories per lb you weigh. 13 if you are very inactive.
    coopertage wrote: »
    ohmygosh! you look great! so inspirational to me....i just started this journey yesterday!

What would you say to someone like me that is just starting out? Tips and pitfalls?

Thanks!
    Weigh your food, on a scale. Every single thing you eat, every single day. Consistency is the key to success
    beastby40 wrote: »
    Absolutely awesome. Thumbs up

Not sure if i missed it here but, can u stick up an general daily food intake for a training and non training day... or link me to a thread if already posted.
    ive got 5kg i wanna shake by end of Oct. I want to change things up a bit :)
    Thanks in advance
    Food intake will vary from person to person based on a number of factors. The video I posted above should show you how to set up personalized numbers. There is no need to change calories for training vs non training days.

• dancerinasmom98
    Options
    Just wow! I had always been fairly thin. I have three kids and after each one I left the hospital in my ore pregnancy clothes, but then would gain weight after the babies and then have to diet to get rid of it. I was not into fitness at all. Well over the past 4 years new boyfriend happy late night beer and bar food did me in each football season. I went from 151 to 205 this past easter. (Im 5'10") i starting doing T25 after my hernia surgery May2015. Lost 20 pounds and 13 inches in 5 weeks then had another surgery. Just started back at it 3 weeks ago but was struggling with being bored with the program. I started waking 2 miles on my lunch break in the underground suburban station in philly bear where I work. 2 weeks ago and then decided I wanted to try jogging on the treadmill. I would only do a mile at night at 5.0. Yesterday I decided to jog/walk outside. I did 3 miles it took me 40 minutes (I know sad lol) was would walk briskly and then jog and alternates them. I also lift weights for 30 minutes evey night. I use a 1500 calorie diet (this is a lifestyle change so I am not going to starve myself) My questions for you are any tips on the running front ? Is it ok to alternate the walking and jogging until i acclimate to running? Any weight lifting advice ? And I've heard that running will stall my weight loss? I really enjoy zoning out my music and jogging /walking rather then popping a DVD in everytime.

Tracy
  • 20paws
    20paws Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The mental work... I can tell it's going to be the key. The commitment of a daily understanding and care. Hard to keep the "care about myself" level
    High enough.
    vismal wrote: »
    You look great!

How has getting down to this weight and building up muscle impacting your life? The good and bad of it.
    The good: Feel better physically and emotionally by a degree I cannot put into words. Look better. More confidence. I can climb stairs with feeling like death. I work in health care and no long feel like a hypocrite when I tell my patience about the risk factors associated with obesity. I love being able to pull out old fat picture when someone says something to the effect of "You don't understand because your in shape" or "you don't get it, you've never been fat". I could go on and on in this category.

The bad: I'm kind of a pain about going out to eat certain places. I don't much like eating food I didn't prepare unless its on my very few and far between free days. Don't get me wrong I eat treats and snacks all the time but I weigh/prepare them myself so I can account for it. I will always feel the need to better myself. When I was fat I didn't care. Sometimes this can be mentally exhausting. But the bads don't even begin to compare to all the goods.

• BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • vismal
    Options
    Just wow! I had always been fairly thin. I have three kids and after each one I left the hospital in my ore pregnancy clothes, but then would gain weight after the babies and then have to diet to get rid of it. I was not into fitness at all. Well over the past 4 years new boyfriend happy late night beer and bar food did me in each football season. I went from 151 to 205 this past easter. (Im 5'10") i starting doing T25 after my hernia surgery May2015. Lost 20 pounds and 13 inches in 5 weeks then had another surgery. Just started back at it 3 weeks ago but was struggling with being bored with the program. I started waking 2 miles on my lunch break in the underground suburban station in philly bear where I work. 2 weeks ago and then decided I wanted to try jogging on the treadmill. I would only do a mile at night at 5.0. Yesterday I decided to jog/walk outside. I did 3 miles it took me 40 minutes (I know sad lol) was would walk briskly and then jog and alternates them. I also lift weights for 30 minutes evey night. I use a 1500 calorie diet (this is a lifestyle change so I am not going to starve myself) My questions for you are any tips on the running front ? Is it ok to alternate the walking and jogging until i acclimate to running? Any weight lifting advice ? And I've heard that running will stall my weight loss? I really enjoy zoning out my music and jogging /walking rather then popping a DVD in everytime.

Tracy
    Running should not stall your weight loss. There is no reason it would. The only time weight stalls in the long run is when you are no longer eating less calories per day then you are burning. Remember that a stall of a week or 2 is meaningless and you shouldn't begin to worry until the scale hasn't moved in 3-4 weeks. Walk/run alternating is a great way to get started with running. I would personally either separate days I lift from days I run, or do the lifting first. Your running is more likely to impact the quality of your lifting vs the other way around IMO. As for lifting advice, I always recommend people do a beginners program that focuses on compound movements like squats, rows, bench press, and deadlift. I usually recommend the ICF 5x5 (you can google for that program, its free).

• VictoriaKing
    VictoriaKing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What's 5x5?
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hey, I wanted to let you know that I broke that plateau I was on. I'm down 4 lbs since I wrote on here with my question. I increased my workout time to 1 hour vs the 30 minutes I was doing.
    Thank you for your advice!
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi V some help please .. ... I think I've definitely hit my first plateau as I've been the same weight now for (coming up on ) 6 weeks. While I have lost inches are there any suggestions on how to switch it up and kick start my weight loss again - I'm current doing ICF 5x5 3x a week ( progressing in weight weekly not every wo as I've had trouble w my squats and have had to modify to doing lower weight 1/2 squats until I perfect my form ) and doing HIIT treadmill 30 min 2x wk. Cw 188.2 gw 135-40 sw 197 @5'8 f. I'm on about 1700-1800 cals a day ( includes eating no more than 50% of my ex cals back). Thanks in advance ;)
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey, I wanted to let you know that I broke that plateau I was on. I'm down 4 lbs since I wrote on here with my question. I increased my workout time to 1 hour vs the 30 minutes I was doing.
    Great job! Keep up the hard work!
    What's 5x5?
    A type of workout where you do 5 sets of 5 reps on the core lifts. Google "5x5" for more details.
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Hi V some help please .. ... I think I've definitely hit my first plateau as I've been the same weight now for (coming up on ) 6 weeks. While I have lost inches are there any suggestions on how to switch it up and kick start my weight loss again - I'm current doing ICF 5x5 3x a week ( progressing in weight weekly not every wo as I've had trouble w my squats and have had to modify to doing lower weight 1/2 squats until I perfect my form ) and doing HIIT treadmill 30 min 2x wk. Cw 188.2 gw 135-40 sw 197 @5'8 f. I'm on about 1700-1800 cals a day ( includes eating no more than 50% of my ex cals back). Thanks in advance ;)
    Plateau's of that length are 99% of the time caused by simply not being in a deficit. The first thing I would do is stop eating exercise calories. Just eat the same amount every day. Once you've done that for a few weeks, if weight starts moving, carry on, if it does not, reduce calories and give it a few more weeks. Repeat that until you start losing again.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What's 5x5?
    A type of workout where you do 5 sets of 5 reps on the core lifts. Google "5x5" for more details.
    Plateau's of that length are 99% of the time caused by simply not being in a deficit. The first thing I would do is stop eating exercise calories. Just eat the same amount every day. Once you've done that for a few weeks, if weight starts moving, carry on, if it does not, reduce calories and give it a few more weeks. Repeat that until you start losing again.

Sounds good thx will give it a go and report back ;) - I've used so many calculators and all seem to put my bmr at roughly 1750? So if I eat 1800 /day (with no exercise cal) do you think this would give me enough of a deficit ? Currently my macros are at 150p 128c and 66f are these ok?
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal, love this thread. Question. I am now following ICF 5x5 and want to know if you think that Dumbbells are just as effective as barbells? Also, what do you think of powerblocks? I belong to a gym but would also like to add more weights to my home gym so I can have the option and prefer not to buy a set of barbells / weights and just use the powerblocks. I know it's $$ but saves on space. Thanks :smile:
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look great.
  • candygibbons26
    candygibbons26 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow !!!! I'm
    New too
    This and just read this you are amazing well
    Done!!!!!
  • candygibbons26
    candygibbons26 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me too get my *kitten* into
    Gear and lose this weight!! Thankyou
  • vismal
    Options
    What's 5x5?

Sounds good thx will give it a go and report back ;) - I've used so many calculators and all seem to put my bmr at roughly 1750? So if I eat 1800 /day (with no exercise cal) do you think this would give me enough of a deficit ? Currently my macros are at 150p 128c and 66f are these ok?
    I don't put much faith into calculators. They are just estimates. Trial and error will tell you if you are in enough of a deficit. Just use your numbers for a few weeks and adjust them based on your actual results.
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Hi Vismal, love this thread. Question. I am now following ICF 5x5 and want to know if you think that Dumbbells are just as effective as barbells? Also, what do you think of powerblocks? I belong to a gym but would also like to add more weights to my home gym so I can have the option and prefer not to buy a set of barbells / weights and just use the powerblocks. I know it's $$ but saves on space. Thanks :smile:
    Dumbbells are not as effective as a barbell for certain exercises. You cannot do a proper back squat with dumbbells, nor can you do a conventional deadlift. Also, you might find that as you get stronger, you are needing heavier and heavier dumbbells. I'm also not a fan of dumbbells for things like rows or bench press in the 5 rep range. I utilize them more in the higher rep ranges. Sometimes getting the weights into position can be tricky with dumbbells when you are working with 5 rep range weight. I know I would need assistance getting into position to shoulder press dumbbells in a 5x5 scheme.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!