Short, relatively small women in long-term maintenance

Options

Replies

• clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    About clothes... I shop everywhere, but I learned to sew. Especially hem.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    About clothes... I shop everywhere, but I learned to sew. Especially hem.

Me too. Well, I'm still learning. But I can do most basic hemming myself. I think it's a survival skill when you're our height, basically.
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of shopping from old navy.ca, they ship for free if u spend $50 (even to the Yukon). They have petite clothes too. I am 30 yr old, and my maintanence calories us 1650, I tend to eat between 1600 and 2000 calories a day and have lost .3 these last couple weeks. I will figure out my cals though.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am 5'2.75 (of course those fractions count) with a small frame, and maintain between 100-105.

It does get frustrating sometimes when other people seem to lose weight eating more than my maintenance calories...whereas I gain if I go beyond 1200-1400...even when I do work out...which I do most days. Being in my mid-40s (and not getting any younger) doesn't help either.

Of course not only don't we get to eat as much as our bigger, taller friends, but we don't burn nearly as many calories through exercise. I have a friend who wears a Fitbit with HRM and after a class she'll be like "hey, I just burned 500 calories" and I know I didn't come anywhere near that even though we did the exact same workout.

I guess I am just fuel-efficient. Like a compact car.

And my wardrobe comes mostly from Banana and Loft, as their petite sizes usually work for me...of course they never have much inventory in-store, so I do a lot of online shopping.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Many people struggle with restaurant portion size. My strategy is to ask them when I'm ordering it, if they can just put half in a togo box as soon as they're done prepping it. That way you get a reasonable amount of food on your plate and don't feel like you "have to finish it". Plus you have left overs.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I also saw a strategy that I plan on using. A green, yellow, and red weight. Green ok, yellow watch what you eat, red full on diet mode. A weight yourself regularly.
  • segacs
    Options
    Yeah, I do the portioning thing in restaurants, too. I often don't take it home, though. Sometimes I'm not going straight home after a restaurant, or other times it's the sort of food that doesn't reheat well and would just go to waste. I've gotten a lot more comfortable simply leaving food over on my plate and sending it back. I used to feel really guilty about doing this, but now I figure it's going to waste either way so better in the trash than on my hips.
    (Having said that, I'm super supportive of restaurants who have programs to donate unused food to shelters and to offer smaller portions upon request.)

Old Navy / Gap / Banana Republic (yep, it's all the same company) is pretty much the only e-tailer offering petites clothing with good shipping and returns in Canada. Too bad their quality has gone way downhill these past couple of years, and the styles -- which used to be classic and, in the case of Banana, work-appropriate -- have gotten much more casual. It's getting really hard for me to find anything that I can wear to the office there anymore.

Ann Taylor/LOFT sizes often work for me too. I wish we had them here.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Another shorty.
    5ft 2 / 46 yrs/ maintaining 133lbs for 2 years now (am slim/fit at this weight)
    I'm a UK size 8-10 depending on brand/retailer.

I maintain on approx 2200 cals gross.

I'm in awe of your maintenance calories! Any calorie calculator I use to calculate my calories (height, weight, workout 5 days a week) give me about that as maintenance - but at 1800 my bf has been increasing. It's under 20% still, but not a trend I want to continue. Boo!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hi segacs, and everyone else, long time maintainer here, 6yr.

5'1, 62yo. 33/25/34. (Bra 32D makes me laugh as I am so small chested)

Weight range 100-105lb, 23-25BF% (according to on line sites)

1200-1400 cals a day, depending on activity and inclination.
    Went straight from losing at 1200 to maintaining at 1200, I must have just bottomed out.

Right now I am testing out my intake for my autumn/winter workout plans. I nearly always do an autumn log to work out my own TDEE for the rest of the winter. I am finding I work out my TDEE, count for a couple of weeks more, then have no need to log for most of the winter. Just work off portion.

Spring and summer I am a lot more casual, minimum formal exercise, rarely log, drink lots of wine and beer, but still don't go over my weight range.

Clothes; H&M are good, and otherwise I use independent retailers. I can do alterations. I live in Canada too, the wet coast, but often shop when I travel.

Swimsuits. For actuall swimming I get Dolphin Uglies from swim2000.com. They are shapeless, so if you need support they won't work. Long lasting though. Otherwise I get bikinis and take the back strap in.

What size shoes does everyone take?
    I have child size 2 US/Can, 33 Europe, 2 UK. It is murder finding shoes or runners without pink hello kitty on them.

I am not a good friend, as I don't post on my feed often, but if anyone wants to be friends, send me a message and I will encourage you when I can.

Cheers, h.
  • hotbabe772
    hotbabe772 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone! ;) I am 5'2. Was 104 but I think I am up to 112 pnds now. One scale says I am 112, then another says 105. Gotta figure that out! I had gallbladder attacks for 6 months in the beginning of the year, then had to have my gallbladder out in June 2015, so because I was so sick and couldn't eat without ending up in emergency, I was down to 100 pnds. Now want to maintain and get back to 105 pnds. Back to tracking hehe. I feel the same as how others wrote about feeling like they are hungry to maintain their weight. It's crazy that just because we are all so small, that we can barely eat to keep our weight at a decent place. It's not fair! Sad face. ;) I am definitely looking for tips to keep my weight down. Have a foot issue atm that slows me down from exercise, although I do massage for a living, and walk a lot, (out of need, as well as trying to get exercise), in spite of my sore foot. Trying to figure that out atm. Cheers everyone!
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 5'3, 60 years old and 115. I've been in maintenance for a couple of months. I have found some good petite clothing at White House Black Market however their sizing is consistent, sometimes I wear a 2, sometimes a 4. I track. I aim for 10,000 steps a day plus jog, currently as the weather is workable, every other day. I will probably go down to three times a week in the winter. Jogging regularly is new for me. I started with a 5k beginner plan in late August and will be completing it mid-October. I know I need to incorporate other types of exercise into my routine: yoga or something else for flexibility and stretching and definitely need to get back to strength training. I find it difficult to make more than one shift at once, so once I am up to running 3 miles several times a week, I will add in one other thing. I am very lucky as far as my shoe size - it's 6.5, regular width. It's not a popular size, but it's a size that's regularly manufactured so there are often good sales. My base is 1200 plus I eat back about half to three quarters of my exercise calories. I set MFP to sedentery but bring in my Fitbit activity. My youthful standard weight was 105. I'm curious about whether I will drop again when I increase my physical activity, but it's not a goal for me right now.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    clarion_r wrote: »
    Another shorty.
    5ft 2 / 46 yrs/ maintaining 133lbs for 2 years now (am slim/fit at this weight)
    I'm a UK size 8-10 depending on brand/retailer.

I maintain on approx 2200 cals gross.

I'm in awe of your maintenance calories! Any calorie calculator I use to calculate my calories (height, weight, workout 5 days a week) give me about that as maintenance - but at 1800 my bf has been increasing. It's under 20% still, but not a trend I want to continue. Boo!

I have a Fitbit which I find accurate, it keeps me right..and keeps me moving :smile:
    My calories are higher than someone who would be 20lbs lighter but I'm at my happy place and I'm slim. I feel as you get older that thin is not a good look, I have my curves in the right places and am happy as a pig in muck LOL
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 6 shoe (occasionally 5.5). Best thing about that is that it is usually the display size, so it's easy to try on shoes without waiting for a sales associate to go to the stock room. Of course the disadvantage is sometimes the display model is the only 6 in stock and might be stretched out or scuffed.

And side some have mentioned bra size, I am a 30D...actually, I can wear a 28DD...but they are much harder to find. Even 30D is rare outside higher-end department stores and specialty shops. I can get away with some 32Cs in a pinch.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! Great to find others out there like me. I am 43 years old, 5'0 and maintain between 100-105 lbs. I do TDEE as well. Right now I am in marathon training and running 50+ miles/wk, so I average about 2000 calories per day. But when I go back to my normal routine in a few weeks I will drop down to around 1700. I have noticed that TDEE for me seems to be less of a number and more of a range. If I am consistently hitting between 1600-1800 calories, I neither lose nor gain.

Can I just add, I HATE shopping. Us small ladies have gotten the short end of the stick due to vanity sizing. Most retailers have just sized us right out of their stores. I usually end up having to alter my pants. I end up finding the most clothes at places like TJ Maxx and the Off 5th Avenue outlet because they tend to carry more boutique brands that offer smaller sizes. I also have recently realized that I can shop kids departments. I am not sure why I never thought of it before. Selection can be a little tricky, but it's good for things like workout gear especially.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good thread, segacs! Just started maintenance last week.

Stats:
    5' 1/2"
    107.4, with a range of 106-109 (?)
    MFP gave me 1450 for maintenance, but I have set it sedentary.

Strength train 2 days on, 1 day off. Between that and my FitBit I usually get 1700-2000 calories. I don't have the courage to eat them all back, at least not yet.

And yes, shopping is a chore now, especially on a budget. Banana Republic and Ann Taylor are the only two stores I really like. Macy's petites is just PITIFUL.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'2 (and a half), and maintaining at around 105 lbs for over 10 yrs now. I originally had lost about 20ish pounds (freshman 20). I maintain on around 1500 cals, and only cut back to 1200 when I feel like I'm gaining (if clothes start feeling snug).

Exercising regularly definitely allows me to eat a bit more, but in general I'll never be able to eat 2000+ calories without gaining weight. It sucks, but I've accepted it.
  • segacs
    Options
    I've gotten over feeling like it's unfair that other people can eat more food than we can and still maintain. That's just a recipe for me to be bitter and angry. I choose instead to look at it as a bonus: We can eat less food and still feel as full and satisfied as other people do on more food, which is great for the budget. I probably spend half as much on groceries each month as a full-sized man would. Not to mention, I can get a bit tipsy on far less alcohol, which is also great for the pocketbook. Focusing on the positive here.

Clothes shopping just plain sucks, though. I'm bitter about that for sure.

Shoe size... I used to be that nice, easy-to-find standard size 6. Since losing the weight, my feet appear to have shrunk a bit and now I'm more like a 5.5, which sucks 'cause it's a much harder to find size. I also have extremely narrow feet, so most shoes slip right off my feet. 5.5 Narrow is a size that doesn't exist anywhere; I asked the one store in Montreal that carries narrow shoes and they said they simply don't know of anything that comes in that size, period, so basically I'm SOL. What I find frustrating is how many stores have stopped ordering size 6 altogether and gone straight towards starting at size 7, arguing that "well, people's shoe sizes have gone up lately". It seems like everyone these days is carrying shoes for wide feet, but nobody's catering to narrow ones.

Still, I love shoes, so I've figured out ways to make them work for me. I look for Italian brands (when I can afford them) 'cause they tend to be made narrower. Certain other brands, like La Canadienne boots or Naot sandles, are also made narrower so I know they work for me and tend to go back to them. I buy boots or shoes with straps, which stay in place better than mules or pumps. My favourite trick is to add these sticky inserts on the balls of the feet of most dress shoes; they add cushioning and help keep the forefoot in place, making far more shoes wearable.

• segacs
    Options
    And yes, shopping is a chore now, especially on a budget. Banana Republic and Ann Taylor are the only two stores I really like. Macy's petites is just PITIFUL.

Macy's petites used to be excellent. I'd plan an annual shopping trip to New York just to shop the wonderful, wonderful petites floor at the Herald Square location. Except now it no longer exists; they've cut back most of their petites clothes and mixed them all in with the regulars, and you can't find anything there anymore and it's just ... well, pitiful is a great word.

Step it up, retailers. Half of all women in North America are 5'4" and under. Stop claiming we're a "niche" market. Half isn't niche.
  • segacs
    Options
    My calories are higher than someone who would be 20lbs lighter but I'm at my happy place and I'm slim. I feel as you get older that thin is not a good look, I have my curves in the right places and am happy as a pig in muck LOL

If that's you in your profile photo, then you certainly don't need to be 20lbs lighter. You look great!
  • segacs
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I wear a size 6 shoe (occasionally 5.5). Best thing about that is that it is usually the display size, so it's easy to try on shoes without waiting for a sales associate to go to the stock room. Of course the disadvantage is sometimes the display model is the only 6 in stock and might be stretched out or scuffed.

Yep, walking around shoe stores trying on the sample sizes is the best part of being a size 6. Unfortunately more and more stores are using 7s as sample sizes now and no longer stocking 6s. *Sigh*
    ilfaith wrote: »
    And side some have mentioned bra size, I am a 30D...actually, I can wear a 28DD...but they are much harder to find. Even 30D is rare outside higher-end department stores and specialty shops. I can get away with some 32Cs in a pinch.

Same here. Exactly the same size. 28DD or 28DDD/28E would fit, in theory, but doesn't exist anywhere in Montreal. My specialty bra shop where I buy bras starts at 30, and only carries D and above. I'm wearing 30D right now, and if I lose any more weight and go to 30C I won't be able to shop there anymore. The department stores only start at 32.

Nobody told me that getting down to a healthy weight would be so frustrating. Bras were much easier to find when I was wearing 34s and 36s.