Do you still count calories?

Options

Replies

• mikehardin62
    mikehardin62 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yep. I like counting. I plan to do it for the foreseeable future.

Yep...why loose track. You fought to get here, why go back?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    Sure, I still track, but it takes me all of 30 seconds per day to log my expected meals for the day, since I have preset meals and do a lot of guesstimation. I don't freak out anymore if I eat an extra cookie or two, which gives me the freedom to enjoy life a little.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am getting to be like mikehardin62 and paperpudding: Logging the things that make a real difference in my calories. Example, today I have salmon salad for lunch, so I prelogged the fish, mayo, cabbage but didn't bother logging the carrots and snap peas. I like the expression "lazy logging" - because I am also getting less precise about the weight of my apple, for example. That said, I have always been remarkably good at estimating my food quantities, unlike some people here, who freely admit that they cannot just "eyeball" with accuracy.

Also, I am not a long-time maintainer, so I'm just sharing how I do things now after recently losing 30 lbs. I do weigh myself nearly every day, which is kind of stupid but necessary to keep me on track. I never took body measurements, but I sure wish I did!!!!
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    Well said spzjlb.....well said.
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    I agree nossmf....it is not i think needed to log everything, but i log 97 percent, easy, every day that i can get out of bed...it keeps me on track and keeps me from CHEATING...i must always watch my backside. ..lol lol...just today at work my friend came and gave me a full bag of candy, which i don't touch the stuff anymore ...i through it in the trash when i went to my office... So , yea , i am very careful of trigger foods!!!!!!!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No, I don't count calories daily anymore. The point of logging is to develop an awareness for what amount of food is appropriate. The goal is to eventually eat healthfully and continue to lose or maintain weight without the crutch of logging. Millions of healthy weight people eat healthfully and exercise and manage it all without logging.

I did it once a week for a few months while I figured out what foods I need to make my staples and which will provide satisfaction, enjoyment, energy and all if not most of my vitamins and minerals. I was able to determine how many treats I can get away with and how much exercise I need to continue losing and how much I'd need for maintenance.

Logging forever and ever indicates you haven't really learned much.
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm almost a year into maintenance and I still need and want to log. I sometimes use "quick calories" to estimate in situations where accurate/detailed logging isn't practical. I don't think there's a wrong answer here. It's whatever works. For me logging works. I'd rather be told I haven't learned much than stop using a tool that works for me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    When I'm in maintenance, I do not count calories. I do not enjoy it, unless I'm actively trying to lose weight. With that being said, my "goal" weight and my "maintenance" weight are not the same. I can maintain within a 5-7 lb fluctuation without counting calories (as long as I still exercise). It is not my preferred/goal weight but it's good enough for me since I refuse to restrict/count calories continuously and like to eat and drink a lot. I go on two vacations a year, so for those, I strive to get to my goal weight, and when I get there I stop counting calories and enjoy life for the next 4 months till it gets closer to my next vacation then I start restricting/counting calories again for a month or two to lose the 5-7 lbs (which comes off quickly when I put my mind to it). It works great for me, especially since my DH likes me with that extra fluffiness for most of the year, lol. I never gain more than 10 lbs above my goal. Only time was when I was pregnant 6 years ago.
  • BrendaBlowers
    BrendaBlowers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm am only six weeks into my weight loss journey. I log everything i eat and count calories. I'm hoping for lifestyle changes so the pounds stay off.
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    BrendaBlowers, be patient, remain steadfast. ..it will come.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options

I disagree. It can mean you didn't learn much. It can also mean you learned enough about yourself to know you will always struggle with portion control, food temptations, and so on. Logging can be a crutch, it can also be a tool. Please don't belittle people who still need that tool.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »

I disagree. It can mean you didn't learn much. It can also mean you learned enough about yourself to know you will always struggle with portion control, food temptations, and so on. Logging can be a crutch, it can also be a tool. Please don't belittle people who still need that tool.

This.

I'm 6 lbs from maintenance but I know that once I'm there, I'll continue to log. Maybe not with the same military precision as I will be in order to lose the last stubborn pounds, But portion control has always been a bit of a 'thing' for me. And I'm generally not good at estimating. I also fear - if I quit logging altogether, I'll over estimate far too much and as a result, end up losing more weight..
  • Luvzy
    Luvzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    After losing 35, I started just counting in my head. Have lost 2 more lbs since.
  • fatdaduk
    fatdaduk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy it AND if I really get my act together I can plan an entire week's (or more) meal plan ahead of time so I know what to order. I use it closely in conjunction with the Tesco grocery website and get it delivered. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think I will be an on/off logger - it's one of the tools in my tool box.

I've maintained with accurate logging and "lazy logging" and for the last few months without logging at all. I find maintaining without logging pretty easy and can manage a very slow weight loss after either a splurge or hitting my intervention weight.

Just about to finish a two week holiday/vacation and sure I've gained quite a few pounds so plan to log for a few weeks when I get home. I will do the same when preparing for a big cycling event when I want to be at the bottom of my weight range. Just logging when I feel the need seems a good compromise for me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Kinda have to since I don't want to weight 320# again.
  • Reinventi0n
    Reinventi0n Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, the majority of the time I still count calories. I will usually have a day or two where I am a little more lax and don't count as strictly but otherwise I do. It really helps to keep me in control and accountable to what I am eating.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for ~30 years. I've logged more accurately in the past 2 years than I ever have because (1) the tools are so good and make it so easy, and (2) I've needed more accuracy to maintain as a career change and nearing 50 changed my CO. I also slack on logging in maintenance for spells, but when I get to the top of my range, nothing beats accurate logging to get back in range.
  • lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Still counting (:
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and I don't plan on ever stopping.....but for different reasons than the one's I started with.

Initially I was amazed at how much easier weight loss became when I joined and I learnt so much and continue to do so.

Now I really like the feed back about macros etc. It has really helped take a lot of guess work out for me as I have underlying health issues which make adequate nutrition a daily battle.

Also and this was totally unexpected it has helped me manage my life-long struggle with an ED....I feel that my daily targets help remind me to look after myself