Need help with FIBER

Options
2»

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I eat Bob's High Fiber cereal or their Oat Bran which is high fiber although not as much.
    Also Kashi Go Lean (fiber twigs etc) cereal if one prefers cold cereal over hot, and for a change I'll have Fiber One original (twigs) which is less fiber also less calories and less protein.
    If you have a Trader Joe's by you, their Blueberry as well as Cranberry Apple mini fiber cakes/muffins (80 cals, 12g fiber) and are quite tasty (they freeze well also).
    I also eat Atkins bars as snacks and some are high in fiber (& protein) as well.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The veggies like Broccoli, beans, peas and fruits,Bran, nuts are rich in fiber and are great options food for breakfast. You can add them into to your favorite foods like hot cereal, cookies,smoothies and pancakes etc.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Start taking a magnesium citrate supplement
    Each day. Whala - problem solved!
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For me i like eating brown rice, broccoli and sprouts to up my fibre intake. If i need a booster then i have some powdered vitafiber that i can add to a protein shake and as a snack in the evening i'll treat myself to a portion of bowl loosening pitted prunes.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    This is a great list of fiber contents
    https://www.wehealny.org/healthinfo
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    That link won't work!

Google "Mt Sinai fiber" and you'll find a huge list of fiber contents of foods.

• petedog123
    petedog123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've added chia seeds to my diet. It has protein and 5g of fiber per tablespoon. It makes my yogurt snack or breakfast like oatmeal last longer.
    I do the same thing but I also add flax seed, amaranth, shredded coconut, and sesame seeds in low fat plain yogurt. Yummy but every other day.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    quest bars, raspberries, beans, steel cut oats (the Udi's brand oats I use are 5g per serving), lentils, peas, blackberries, whole wheat pasta, oat bran, avocado, chia seeds, ground flax seed, almonds, pistachios, etc.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    Veggies
    fruits
    beans
    nuts
    whole grains

Non-starchy vegetables are likely going to be the least calorie-dense option for increasing fiber intake.

Basically this is it! Adding flax meal to smoothies or having flaxmeal pancakes. Theresalso a way to make a low carb tortilla with ppsyllium husk eggwhites and salt n pepper thats pretty good fiber too but drink alot of water with psyllium cause it can cause a blockage (think metamucil) if not enough water is taken with it
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    blackberries, raspberries, strawberries (can get a little expensive though)
    green veggies including greens
    grains are ok, but a lot of products will have a lot of calories for the fiber or have the protein/fiber "refined" and concentrated for their product (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    beans

It's good to have both insoluble and soluble fiber forms, with soluble being most available from veggies/fruit per calorie.

Other fruits have some fiber, but replacing a serving of apples or bananas (the most consumed in America) with berries will go a long way to adding fiber to your diet if you like fruit.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i added ezeikel 4.9 sprouted bread and fiber one cereal along with my other foods
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I am adding flax to a lot of dishes now. I'll add more berries, too! The Ezeikel bread is a great idea. I already have some in the freezer that I forgot I had. Thanks all!