Washing a car (calories burned)

Options

Replies

• JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Washing a car is probably 50 calories. Laying down afterwards is -50 calories. So basically you broke even.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How big is your car? I'm trying to figure out how it took an hour. My husband can take a couple of hours but that's because he details it to the nth degree, inside and out.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Calling troll.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sorry but if your exhausted from washing a car, you really need to start doing something to get your cardio up. This doesn't sound to healthy to me. If you don't mind me asking, are you really obese? Hopefully your cholesterol isn't high because this is a heart attack waiting to happen, and this is NO JOKE! Nobody should be exhausted and have to lay down after washing a car. But good luck to to.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Sad to see people piling on to @GRITSandSLUTS.

Yes, her reply to the early answers provided was off base, no doubt due to being misinformed, but it seems pretty clear that hers was an honest question just the same.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    never mind
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Washing a car is more like a light activity. I doubt that you burn more than a 100. I know you have to stand and hose it down (so there is resting periods). I would consider cleaning my car = cleaning my dishes or the entire kitchen (not joking here).
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No offense but being that meticulous about counting every calorie burned seems more like trying to find a way to maximize food intake rather than focusing on weight loss.

It's better to count less calories burned rather than more if you're trying to lose weight. Always estimate on the low side and ignore things that are minor. You'll benefit more from that approach.
  • Abby_C2014
    Options
    PAtinCO wrote: »
    No offense but being that meticulous about counting every calorie burned seems more like trying to find a way to maximize food intake rather than focusing on weight loss.

It's better to count less calories burned rather than more if you're trying to lose weight. Always estimate on the low side and ignore things that are minor. You'll benefit more from that approach.
    I am with PATinco. I wish there is a like button for this answer.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Some of us have really dirty habitskpzbtwu00w8b.jpg

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    We are anal when it comes to washing our vehicles inside and out, its a all day job for us,, and quite the calorie burn, I do not care what anyone says.So many pigs out there do not care about their homes, vehicles, lawns, drives me nuts.
  • Abby_C2014
    edited October 2015
    Options
    We are anal when it comes to washing our vehicles inside and out, its a all day job for us,, and quite the calorie burn, I do not care what anyone says.So many pigs out there do not care about their homes, vehicles, lawns, drives me nuts.
    Why did this went into pigs, homes, and lawns. I understand that some people just do not wash their car often enough or some take all day (like my dad). It is not much of a calorie burn unless it has massive amounts of mud like the Pic above lol. However, I clean my car all the time (like my dishes) so got no problem taking so much time. Calm down =^_^= Peace is happiness :blush::smiley::smile: :heart:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

That might be true for you but the OP wasn't describing an all day affair. Fit or not, an hour of washing the car is not burning hundreds and hundreds of calories above BMR.

Tracking such daily activities and counting them as "exercise" is bound to lead the OP to consume more than required. Of course if the OP is glued to the bed for the other 23 hours a day, then sure, count it. All 50 - 100 of them. One banana. A really large apple. Woo hoo.

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count or log that as exercise. If you've burnt some extra calories, consider it a bonus.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry you are being treated like this, OP. You asked how many calories you burned, not everyone's opinion on whether or not you should log them, or about your health.

Honestly, it is impossible to even guess how many! If it was me I would put 50-100, instead of over estimating.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    The OP was genuine, she posted on a running thread about it, and being exhausted.

Taking into account that you may be new, have just started counting calories, are not doing any exercise, and lead a sedentary life, 50 cals would be a reasonable estimate.

If washing a car occasionally is your only form of exertion, I would encourage you to add a little exercise to your fitness goal. Walking is good.

Cheers, h.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are being treated like this, OP. You asked how many calories you burned, not everyone's opinion on whether or not you should log them, or about your health.

Honestly, it is impossible to even guess how many! If it was me I would put 50-100, instead of over estimating.

That is exactly why I wouldn't count it. It's impossible to guess, the calories are likely negligible so what's the purpose of logging it?
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    100 calories seems like it would be way too high of an estimate, unless you're like jogging around the car every few minutes. Just my opinion though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That is exactly why I wouldn't count it. It's impossible to guess, the calories are likely negligible so what's the purpose of logging it?

I'm not sure how much it burns and it's not something I'd log. OP, I would consider the extra burn to be a trade off for the post car wash sedentary nap time. Call it a wash (pun intended. )
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

She came back and said it is for her MD so she needs to log something. Her reply is on the top of the first page.