How do all you vegetarians and vegans out there get your daily protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• daveinreston
    daveinreston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Seitan, beans, Explore Asian pastas, protein powder in smoothies are my favs.
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Breakfast (beans on toast)
    144g Kidney beans - 13g protein
    80g Chopped Tomatoes - 1g protein
    Soya and Linseed Bread 3 slices - 20g protein
    3g Nutritional Yeast Flakes - 1g protein
    20g Pea Protein Shake - 16g protein
    12g Ground Flaxseed - 4g protein

Total - 55 grams of protein

Lunch (salad)
    220g Tofu - 30g protein
    60g Spinach - 2g protein
    50g Beetroot - 1g protein
    12g Walnuts - 2g protein
    10g Brazil Nuts - 1g protein
    100g Sweet Potato - 1g protein

Total - 37 grams of protein

92g of Protein for just Breakfast and Lunch.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Been a vegetarian for 6+ years, at the start I never paid any attention my protein. Now that I have had to lower my carb intake (for health reasons) I'm really paying attention to my protein.

I get most of my protein at breakfast, I have a protein shake with greek yoghurt in it plus 2 egg muffins (what I put in them each week varies but lately I've just been doing eggs, egg whites and cottage cheese. This week I added some mock meat into them). Looking back at this past week, I got 20 grams of protein at breakfast.

For a mid-morning snack I often have a protein bar, they're usually between 7 and 14 grams of protein. They are expensive though so sometimes I'll have something else like berries and yoghurt/cottage cheese. I also have berries with yoghurt/cottage cheese as an afternoon snack. This week my snacks gave me 13 grams of protein per day.

For lunch and dinner I often make things with mock meat (ie. Quorn) and depending on what it is, I'll add another source of protein like beans (ie. Quorn bolognaise with lentils). I also add cheese to most of my meals, mostly just because I love the stuff. This week I had soup for lunch which although it had some beans in it, it wasn't particularly high in protein, so I also had a slice of cheese with it. The only bread I eat is a high protein/low carb one, it has 12 grams of protein and only 2 grams of carbs in it.

Most nights I eat ice cream for dessert but sometimes I'll have fruit salad with greek yoghurt (yes... I love it!) or smooth ricotta. Those days I end up with more protein.

This week I got 70 grams of protein for a 1300 calorie day. I'm actually in maintenance but have dropped my calories a little in preparation for a vacation in two weeks where I plan to eat ALL the foods :) I'd say between 70 and 80 grams is my average though, as the extra food I eat in maintenance is usually just more fruit/snacks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,653 Member
    Options
    Been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years (yes, since 1974, at age 18). I get 75-100gm protein most days. Frequent major sources include greek yogurt, eggs, tempeh, edamame, beans, peanut butter, cheese, quinoa, milk.

For me, it's helpful to think of meals not in terms of 'one big protein' (as meat-eaters often do), but rather try to weave both major & minor protein sources throughout all meals & snacks.

This is where things like nuts & seeds come in - some protein, some healthy fat, some tasty, satisfying crunch & richness. Even those veggies that have relatively more protein, like broccoli, contribute to the total, even though their amount of protein is small. Also, varying incomplete-protein sources tend to improve the net protein quality, as each has different composition.

I prefer to eat mainly whole foods, not as a religion, but because I find them more tasty & satisfying. And, personally, I find fake meat products mostly pretty disgusting. They're often highly-processed, full of fat & salt, and (IMO) not very tasty. (I became vegetarian partly because I didn't really love meat, and most fakes are even less lovable.)
  • leighloh
    leighloh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years (yes, since 1974, at age 18). I get 75-100gm protein most days. Frequent major sources include greek yogurt, eggs, tempeh, edamame, beans, peanut butter, cheese, quinoa, milk.

For me, it's helpful to think of meals not in terms of 'one big protein' (as meat-eaters often do), but rather try to weave both major & minor protein sources throughout all meals & snacks.

This is where things like nuts & seeds come in - some protein, some healthy fat, some tasty, satisfying crunch & richness. Even those veggies that have relatively more protein, like broccoli, contribute to the total, even though their amount of protein is small. Also, varying incomplete-protein sources tend to improve the net protein quality, as each has different composition.

I prefer to eat mainly whole foods, not as a religion, but because I find them more tasty & satisfying. And, personally, I find fake meat products mostly pretty disgusting. They're often highly-processed, full of fat & salt, and (IMO) not very tasty. (I became vegetarian partly because I didn't really love meat, and most fakes are even less lovable.)

I really like your idea of "weaving major & minor protein sources throughout all meals & snacks"

that makes much more sense to me than having a single protein component in any given meal
  • leighloh
    Options
    thank you all of these great responses, I definitely have to try out a few of your tips! Feel free to add me if you'd like, you're all great :smiley:
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am a plant based vegan (meaning I avoid all fake meats/cheeses and other processed foods)
    I get protein from plants! p8o1t4hvw7xb.jpg

Where did this come from? According to everywhere else I've looked, broccoli is only 2.8% protein.

I depend very much on whey supplements.
  • leighloh
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I am a plant based vegan (meaning I avoid all fake meats/cheeses and other processed foods)

Where did this come from? According to everywhere else I've looked, broccoli is only 2.8% protein.

I think that diagram is not scientifically correct
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,653 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    leighloh wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

I think that diagram is not scientifically correct

Not to mention that it's uninterpretable (without further research, at least): Is that supposed to be percent by weight? Percent by calorie contribution? Percent by price (kidding!)? What? Silly diagram.

It is worth emphasizing in my vegetarian diet those veg that have relatively more protein (and other good nutrients) vs. those with less/no protein (and similar other nutrients); the chart does depict some of those.

This is a good resource: List of Foods with Highest Protein Calorie Percentage (MFP thread).
  • eilishb01
    eilishb01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, cheese, Greek yogurt, edamame, vegetarian meat products (Morningstar farms, gardein, etc), cottage cheese, eggs, tons of veggies, nuts, quinoa...I get about 70 grams a day on average!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Eating Tofu chickens of course!