October 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Calling for 60-100 MPH winds here Saturday. I think I'll wait and set a goal after I make sure my bike and the garage it lives in are still OK. :)

Does anyone use a trainer? I've thought about it, but compared to getting outside it just seems... blah. I guess it wouldn't be any more boring than the elliptical, and easy enough to put it inside in front of a monitor or something. Hmmm....

I use a trainer on rainy days and through the coldest months of winter. If cycling is your primary source of exercise, get one. A GOOD one. I have a KK (Kurt Kinetic) Road Machine and it has been providing amazing support during these times.
    Do like me... I set mine up right in front of the TV, turn on an engaging show that will keep my attention away from pedal cranking. With a huge wind tunnel blowing on me, it's as good as you can get, considering. Add Zwift to the equation and you are golden through the winter months.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I should also be good for at least 750 miles this month by work commutes, Club rides and some after work evening rides. DST happens on Nov.1, after that it's lights out by 5pm! :(
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Calling for 60-100 MPH winds here Saturday. I think I'll wait and set a goal after I make sure my bike and the garage it lives in are still OK. :)

Does anyone use a trainer? I've thought about it, but compared to getting outside it just seems... blah. I guess it wouldn't be any more boring than the elliptical, and easy enough to put it inside in front of a monitor or something. Hmmm....

I used to use a turbo trainer when I needed to cycle for physiotherapy, but that was so unlike road riding that I ended up giving it away and replacing it with rollers. Rollers are great for working on technique and balance, but can take a little getting used to but you need constant attention (at least to begin with or you end up with this http://youtu.be/E2tF0tK7P_s). They are a little too noisy to make watching the TV possible and you will need a really powerful fan to keep you cool unless you have somewhere cool to ride them
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MFP 2015 Cycling Challenge:
    Kicking the month off with 1 mile from my workout cool down. I set a low goal as I do most of my cardio on the elliptical and running. The MFP Running Challenge has helped motivate me to run more and I am hoping this challenge will progress my cycling. I am in awe of you folks, especially those with triple digit goals. Let's make it a great month.

Goal:25 miles
    completed:1
    >>>>>>>>>>>> 24 to go <<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • m1xm0d3
    edited October 2015
    Options
    First entries of the month were 2 nasty wet & windy commutes by heavy steel MTB. Hurricane Joaquin is on it's way up the coast so the next 3 days might have me on the trainer...

10/01 - 07.15 @ 16.7 mph (AM Commute-MTB)
    10/01 - 07.70 @ 16.1 mph (PM Commute-MTB)

MTD: 14.85
    Goal: 750
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am in again... setting my goal at 200.
    10/1 - 10.32 miles, road bike, started at 7:20 pm. 1/2 daylight 1/2 after dark.
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Off to a good start:
    10/1 - 21.8 miles (stationary/spin bike)

Btw, I had never seen a roller trainer before - coolest invention ever! :)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got in both some gym biking miles along with commuting ones to/from tonight's disappointing Thursday night game vs. the ravens. Toying with the idea of doing another Pittsburgh to DC bike trip this October if the Pirates beat the Cubs next Thursday to kill time between home games. Still, I'll play that by ear although the weather is looking pretty nice.

10/1 - 22 miles

Total: 22 miles
    Goal: 550 miles
    Remaining: 228 miles
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My goal is 500 miles with less daylight and more demands on my free time with work and home repairs.

10/1 21.87 miles @ 15.98 avg.
    YTD 3374.96 miles
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

My husband has one, and he uses it while I ride a trainer.

You'd have to turn up with a large suitcase full of $100 bills before you'd see me use the rollers. :lol: Those things terrify me!

• funfitfreeme
    Options
    I should have known something was amiss when I saw the air mattress next to the bike in the video still shot. Yikes! But it seems like the rollers could be a lot of fun "if" you could master it before breaking your neck.
  • ruby1867221
    ruby1867221 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Does spinning /cycling reduce hips ?
  • funfitfreeme
    Options
    Hmmm.... I can't say I've noticed more of a reduction in my hip size vs. other areas. I'm sure you've heard/read that there's no real way to spot-reduce.

That said, I have lost weight using spinning and cycling as my primary form of cardio (by helping me create a daily calorie deficit.)

Lose enough weight (and incorporate some resistance training) and I'm sure at some point your hips will follow. :)
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Off to a good start:

Great start for the month!!

lol I had one of the roller type, traded a friend for a trainer before I broke my neck. Crashed a couple times, the air mattress is a good idea but about tore up my bike when the tire went off the roller and about took a spoke out
  • funfitfreeme
    Options
    I've grown find of my neck so I don't reckon I'll be trying the roller any time soon. :)
  • funfitfreeme
    Options
    Oopsie - fond
  • m1xm0d3
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Torrential rain the past 2 and the next 2 days.... Had my first serious indoor trainer ride in the last 4+ months this evening and I could tell a noticeable gain in both strength and endurance. I cycled several gears higher at all times and 60 minutes was nothing to do. I had to really push to break a sweat and almost ran out of gears. It's awesome to see commuting + long distance, hill climbing, group rides all summer have been paying their dividends.

10/01 - 07.15 @ 16.7 mph (AM Commute-MTB)
    10/01 - 07.70 @ 16.1 mph (PM Commute-MTB)
    10/02 - 22.00 @ 22.0 mph (Trainer)

MTD: 36.85
    Goal: 750
    YTD: 4,551
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    21 more miles today, including a very chilly commute home from the ballgame. Time to crack out my long biking tights and gloves.

10/1 - 22 miles
    10/2 - 21 miles

Total: 43 miles
    Goal: 550 miles
    Remaining: 507 miles
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,260 Member
    Options
    I'm in! 150 miles on the recumbent bike for October.

10/3 - 12.0 miles

Chris
  • funfitfreeme
    Options
    Did mostly hill work and flat intervals in spin class today. Great workout but clocked fewer miles than I typically get in spin classes. Made up for it with some individual bike work after class. My legs are beat after doing this and a lower body workout yesterday. Resting tomorrow.

Keep up the great work everyone.

10/3 - 26 miles (spin class + stationary/spin bike)

MTD: 47.8