Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I tried VFF's last summer. Started slow, worked my way up to 5 miles easily within about 2 months. But that 1st month, there was no running 2 days in a row after wearing them. It takes time. Longer for some than others.
    I'm back in them again after a winter of normal shoes. The adjustment is going much quicker.
    Also in my opinion walking in VFF's and running in them are 2 totally different things. I can walk in them all day from the get go with no issues or pain. But that does nothing for preparing me to run.
    I run in my VFF's on grass, asphalt, trails, rocks, etc. I have no issues running on pavement at all. The crushed limestone trails are probably the nicest surface though. Grass I have found can be too soft sometimes.

Also since you mention the Kinvara's. I have a pair of those and absolutely love them. The most comfortable pair of shoes I ever tried on. And they are wearing fine, I have almost 200 miles on mine, & still look to have another 150-200 more.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    I tried VFF's last summer. Started slow, worked my way up to 5 miles easily within about 2 months. But that 1st month, there was no running 2 days in a row after wearing them. It takes time. Longer for some than others.
    I'm back in them again after a winter of normal shoes. The adjustment is going much quicker.
    Also in my opinion walking in VFF's and running in them are 2 totally different things. I can walk in them all day from the get go with no issues or pain. But that does nothing for preparing me to run.
    I run in my VFF's on grass, asphalt, trails, rocks, etc. I have no issues running on pavement at all. The crushed limestone trails are probably the nicest surface though. Grass I have found can be too soft sometimes.

Also since you mention the Kinvara's. I have a pair of those and absolutely love them. The most comfortable pair of shoes I ever tried on. And they are wearing fine, I have almost 200 miles on mine, & still look to have another 150-200 more.

Cool. Which VFFs do you have? Do you notice a stride/footstrike difference between your Kinvaras and the VFFs?
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    I've had my Vibram KSO's for six months. My first run was on a soggy New Year's Day that was an unseasonably warm 60 degrees in Cincinnati, it was fantastic. While I haven't been able to put the time in yet to transition to longer runs in them, for intervals I've found they're better than my Nike Structures.

I did get in a few 3 to 4 milers and once did a 7, but it was a case of TMTS (too much too soon) and ended up being sore for days after. I'd recommend getting them and doing what most everyone else has said... be patient and build yourself up to long runs.

Above all, though, have fun!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    For instructions on how to video yourself and videos to compare yourself to, go to:

www.runningwarehouse.com

This is how I determined that I was a neutral runner. You will need a video camera and something to put it on that will set it behind you when you are on the T/M.

Also, I run on asphalt, concrete and grass(alongside the streets when the cars can't move over to miss me). The VFF's have gotten me to run mid-foot and fore-foot strike(uphill) and I notice that I don't slow down in the grass. I used to feel the slow-down in the grass due to heel-striking in regular running shoes is a "braking" type of foot-strike.

They do make different soles for different types of use. Treks are more for trails and rock climbing, KSO's and Sprints are for road running. I think I'll try the Bikilas next. Named after the Kenyan Olympic Marathoner who won running barefoot. He also ran other races in VFF's.
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had my five finger shoes for 2 months now. When I got them I started running in them alittle at a time. I did a dumb thing and ran my first 5k in them . I should have waited alittle longer. My calves were so sore that I thougth i would die for about 3 days!! Since the 5k I have ran in them everyother time I run. I prefer them to my running shoes. I ran for 20 minutes today and while my calves are somewhat sore I am not in pain.. I say try them..
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have original 5-Finger Vibram's--I bought them after shortening my stride didn't help with my shin splints. It was love at first sight. I ran like the wind (SLOW SLOW SLOW AND SHORT SHORT SHORT at first..I cannot stress this enough. I threw my back for a month the first time I ran because I ran for just a MILE. Take it SLOW!!!) But, like most 1st loves it came to a tragic end.

I was having awful heel pain after a very hilly mountain run. I know that my footing was off for part of the run, but not much of it. Anyhow. I went to a podiatrist and was told I have Plantar Fasciitis. Balls. After looking at the x-rays of my feet he said, "I wish you had come to a podiatrist before you started barefoot running." The bio-mechanics of my feet, for various reasons, are not cut out for barefoot running. He said injury was inevitable in one form or another. He said he recommends barefoot running to a lot of his patients, but it really depends on the shape of your foot and what's going on under the skin.

So I love barefoot running, but my body doesn't.

I say see a podiatrist first in order to avoid making a mistake--ask him if barefoot running would be okay for your feet. The shoes are cheaper than most running shoes--so it's worth the extra co=pay to find out if you'e gonna *kitten* your body up or not.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Cool. Which VFFs do you have? Do you notice a stride/footstrike difference between your Kinvaras and the VFFs?

I have the KSO's & the Komodo sport. All my running so far has been in the KSO's.

Yes & no. In the VFF's you have no choice but to run with a mid/forefoot strike. Generally I keep that same stride in the kinvaras but since they do have some cushioning I will find myself drifting to a slight heel strike from time to time.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have VFF Classics and Sport Trek's. I love them. I actually injured myself by running in sneakers after training in VFF. It is recommended to cut your mileage in about 1/3 if you are switchiing since you are using different muscles.

Here is another source:

www.runbare.com.

Have fun!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike Frees. When I first tried them on in the store, I didn't believe they were going to be able to function in the various workouts I do (spinning, running, elliptical, etc.). I had been running in Shox previously and got blood blisters under my big toenails. I love the Frees. They work great in all my workouts. I did add another insole though for a little extra support.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I have the Nike Frees. When I first tried them on in the store, I didn't believe they were going to be able to function in the various workouts I do (spinning, running, elliptical, etc.). I had been running in Shox previously and got blood blisters under my big toenails. I love the Frees. They work great in all my workouts. I did add another insole though for a little extra support.
    The dreaded "black toe" is due to having too little room in the toe-box. Your foot swells as you run due to the 3X body weight impact. Go up a half size or a full size(I went up a full size after getting them.) and you won't get the black toes anymore. Also the shox are not really a good choice for running.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have vibrams kso and classics and have been running in them since November in all conditions on all surfaces. I love love love them! I ran a half marathon in them last month with no issues. Just make sure you try on a pair before you buy you need to have enough toe room. Also like others have said take it slow. Just wear them around the house for like an hour for the first week. I was afraid mine were too small at first but after getting used to them they work great! Good luck!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I have vibrams kso and classics and have been running in them since November in all conditions on all surfaces. I love love love them! I ran a half marathon in them last month with no issues. Just make sure you try on a pair before you buy you need to have enough toe room. Also like others have said take it slow. Just wear them around the house for like an hour for the first week. I was afraid mine were too small at first but after getting used to them they work great! Good luck!
    Yea, I felt they were a little too tight on my longest toe.(Only that one.) I'm getting used to it, but I think I might go up one size next time.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I run in VFF. Like one of the previous posters I did not enjoy running before, but I really enjoy running now with my Vibrams. It's much more comfortable and I love being able to feel the ground when I run. (I would barefoot before but had never tried to do it running so not being able to feel the ground bothers me.) I worked up to running distance in my vibrams very slowly. I can only make 2 miles (20 minutes) so far and am working up to running a 5k. I run on pavement usually and have no had problems with it, it's perfectly comfortable (unless you heel strike...)

I have a pair of Vibram Sprints and Bikila, so heres my view on those two types:
    Sprints- Awesome. Much more tactile feedback from the ground and I love it. Very comfortable and hugs the toes and soles of my foot like a glove. However, I do not like the tightness around the rim of the shoe. I got the Sprints because the upper part of the heel on the classics pressed against the tendon in my heel and I hated it. The sprints after wearing them for more than 15 minutes or so begin to press painfully in the same spot. It's so tight around that rim that it keeps my heel from actually sitting back in the heel proper so there's a good half inch between my heel and the heel of the foot, the tight rim pushes my foot forward in otherwords. (No I don't have the wrong size, it's actually a half to a full size too LARGE in that my heel doesn't sit in the heel bed and getting one smaller to fit the heel better would make the pressure on that tendon worse.) I got used to it after about a week, but it still bothers me from time to time. They're comfortable enough otherwise that I can overlook this. I will not likely buy the Sprint style again because it, like the Classics, does not agree with my foot structure. Other than the heel tendon issue, they are very comfrotable to run in. I had to wear the injini socks because my feet sweat alot and I needed the moisture wicking, and also the strap would stick to said sweaty foot after long runs, causing blisters. The socks fixed both problems and made the shoes wonderful for running. I ran so much I was wearing a thin spot under the ball of the foot so I got a pair of bikilas (which have thicker pads in that spot) to run in and now wear these for dailywear instead of running.

Bikila- I got these for running specifically and do not use them for dailywear. These are much more comfortable for running. I went down a size from the Sprints and due to the design of these my heel sits perfectly in the heel cup and it does not press at all against my heel tendon because unlike the Sprints it does not have that tight elastic top. I got the "laces" version instead of the strap version. I discovered I had to go up a size if I got the strap version and it didn't fit as nicely as the laces version. The laces, being spread out don't give me blisters like the strap did so I can wear these without the socks (though I still do because they keep me cooler.) They have slightly thicker pads than the Sprints which makes them not -as- flexible but still plenty thin enough to feel the ground really well and still plenty of flexibility for running and jumping around. I liked the thicker pads because I was blowing out my Sprints in the ball area and these are holding up more to the punishment due to those pads.

My view: The VFF are excellent shoes. Incredibly comfortable. Do take it slow when first wearing them. Also make sure to try on different sizes. Different styles WILL fit you differently and some styles may not fit your foot that well where other styles will fit like a second skin.