would you consider liposuction?

Options

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not against it but I don't think I would actually do it because I can always think of better ways to spend $5000 +
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I had laser lipo ( the lipo you are awake for with minimal recovery time) back when I was a size 6. I was not happy with the results, I didn't see much change and now I'm back up to a size 14 so $5,000 wasted. So no, I don't think I'd do it again.

Is that the non invasive one where they shine a bright flashlight on your problem areas?
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had laser lipo ( the lipo you are awake for with minimal recovery time) back when I was a size 6. I was not happy with the results, I didn't see much change and now I'm back up to a size 14 so $5,000 wasted. So no, I don't think I'd do it again.

Is that the non invasive one where they shine a bright flashlight on your problem areas?

It's sort of non invasive. You are numbed with local anesthetic and they make a very small incision to insert the metal wand with a red light at the end (laser). They move in different directions to break up the fat and melt it with the laser, then they suck it out. You can watch videos of the procedure on you tube (search laser lipo or tickle lipo).
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options

It's sort of non invasive. You are numbed with local anesthetic and they make a very small incision to insert the metal wand with a red light at the end (laser). They move in different directions to break up the fat and melt it with the laser, then they suck it out. You can watch videos of the procedure on you tube (search laser lipo or tickle lipo).

Ah, yes. I had seen some videos of a laser weight loss procedure that was complete bunk where they literally just shone lasers on the skin over the trouble areas. I've not heard of a sub dermal laser lipo, but it sounds more effective than the bunk I was referring to.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If I had a ton of money, sure.

This. I'm not a big spender on clothes, cars, makeup, I'm not a social status type, I don't think I ever would be even if I was filthy rich, but I do have some body image issues. I'd jump at a chance to correct whatever exercise and diet won't.

However, if someone dropped enough money in my lap for all that and said do what you want with it, I'd do something else with it. I have better uses for what would, in my case, likely be tens of thousands of dollars for that whole midsection lift and tighten thing and lipo and whatever else. I could definitely use that money to better my life in other ways.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. Waste of money.....
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No. Ive seen it. Shoveing a wand in your thigh and moving side to side up and down to suck fat off? Ive seen some horror stories and deformities. Plus how is a procedure going to teach you to eat properly? What happens if you gain weight again? Id rather spend my money for a trainer and a gym membership and new clothes once I reach my goal. :)
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't put myself through an unnecessary procedure that carried potential risks. I'd also feel I'd be betraying my ethics to spend that type of money on unnecessary cosmetic procedures when so much of the world doesn't have access to proper medical care. If I had that money to waste on something I'd prefer to donate it.

great point, and I do also think about all the disposable incomes people waste on gym memberships and exercise equipment when they just need to eat less and move more. Still I think it's a personal matter as to where you draw the line.

Wrong. There is nothing wrong with joining a gym. 20 pounds left, I will need to tone and sculpt and will use a personal trainer for a short period to teach the proper way to lift using correct methods... I consider it an investment in myself.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Except for instance of medical abnormality, your body weight is established by your habits.

If you don't change your habits and get liposuction, you will eventually get back to being overweight.

I would consider liposuction if it was necessary for immediate concerns, but otherwise i would (and have!) instead put my mind to building better habits, and allowing myself the time to become more healthy instead of pressuring myself to race toward the healthy body i will eventually develop through better living.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    As the poster here who had it stated, the study I posted above pointed to regained fat being deposited in the belly.

I currently have an hourglass shape. Would I be happier without my saddlebags? Yes. Would I trade them for the increased possibility of visceral fat stores increasing? Never.

I'll lose the last of my weight, continue to lift, and see what happens over time and be happy with it.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I'm not a fan of the quick fix.

Pressing the buttons on the credit card machine does not equal the necessary lifestyle change to make physical health, fitness, and appearance changes permanent.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nope! I'm just not vain enough to risk any possible complications so that I'll look better. Plus, pain. Not a fan.

I am having some physical issues with my excess skin and am even going to try to avoid having that removed.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have seen videos of the procedure and I am too chicken to do it. I am also too cheap :) However, now that I achieved my weight loss goals, I am looking into the cool sculpting for one primary area.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yikes, no way. A girlfriend of mine did it and it took her weeks to recover and for the bruises to go away. No thanks.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    As the poster here who had it stated, the study I posted above pointed to regained fat being deposited in the belly.

I currently have an hourglass shape. Would I be happier without my saddlebags? Yes. Would I trade them for the increased possibility of visceral fat stores increasing? Never.

I'll lose the last of my weight, continue to lift, and see what happens over time and be happy with it.
    Oddly, despite knowing the issues, I've always wished I was storing fat more viscerally and androgenically. I tend to have an hourglass figure, but as a man, I'd be more mentally comfortable just having a giant gut.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say the unpopular choice, and go with YES if get lipo. Preferably a tummy tuck with lipo....
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I had to go look this up, because I vaguely remembered hearing that there was a study that the lipo'ed fat eventually came back:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110509122730.htm

Every single one of my friends that has had lipo has has this happen. It's the only reason I won't get lipo.

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I bruise far to easily for lipo to be a consideration but hey different strokes for different folk.....id have a tummy tuck tomorrow so who am I to judge someone else's choice.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    I bruise far to easily for lipo to be a consideration but hey different strokes for different folk.....id have a tummy tuck tomorrow so who am I to judge someone else's choice.

Yes I agree about the tummy tuck....but I still wouldn't want to actually pay for it. :) I guess I'm just cheap.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't becase I feel if I don't work to get it off I will be more likely to gain it back. I wouldnt hesitate to get a tummy tuck if I got my bf % low enough and had the money to spare :-)