Sort of disappointed in myself

Options
So...a couple of weeks ago I got a Fitbit-this got me super motivated. I got the scale too...I upped my running mileage, I got a food scale and actually measure my food now and weigh it! The first week with the Fitbit was success! I lost 3 lb! 2nd week - this week- I gained 0.5! What the heck? So that was yesterday...so even though I still measured, weighed and counted everything yesterday and today, I did not exercise and I ate like avg 1000 extra calories each day. Tonight I weigh FIVE lbs more. :( feeling discouraged.

Replies

• entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any other measurement besides lbs? Don't rely just on the scales because it can fluctuate for so many reasons. Fluid, hormones, muscle gain etc etc. Use a tape measure, take photos and keep a pair of test pants that you will be able to feel getting looser. Don't let a number on the scales get you down and throw you off your track. Big hugs, slow and steady, you can do this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You mean .5 lbs more? You know weight fluctuates. You're going to be heavier later than the day than the morning. Perhaps you had not gone to the restroom yet or you are retaining a little water due to a high sodium intake OR hormones.
  • JoLynn1182
    JoLynn1182 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to mention, 1000 calories per day is very very low, I have lost 40 lbs over the last year and tried to go extreme with low calorie and it would make my weight loss come to a halt, when I found the right calorie intake for my weight, height, and fitness level which was right around 1600 calories a day, that's when I really started to lose weight. I have always been told that anything under 1300 for women and 1500 for men is too low and can cause weight loss to stop and you can begin to lose lean muscle mass, try increasing the calories a bit.
  • RebeccaSutherland889
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel dissapointed in yourself. Perhaps your trying to hard. Remember your goal and just think you've had a glitch! And now you want to get back on track.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and lots of pictures as you lose because you will need both of those when the scale does its own thing, as scales are wont to do.
  • sbourghol
    sbourghol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi treyzamey, don't be discouraged! The number on the scale doesn't mean anything, as it was said it depend on the time you took the measurement, better do it when you wake up and after going to the bathroom :)

It is very normal that you gain some weight. The more you run, the more your body will build muscle, at the same time you will be loosing fat tissue which is your objective I guess.Muscle weights more than fat so it might be the reason why you gained some weight. So you must not disappointed. So even if you gain weight, check if you get slimmer at your waist. If it is so, your then on the good way.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For me, part of the process is learning that the scale will break your heart 5638385594058 times, and the only thing you can do is not quit.
  • RebeccaSutherland889
    Options
    That's a lovely thing to say and so true
  • DaJa13
    DaJa13 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do not be discouraged. We may lose a battle on some days, but that does not mean we have lost the war. If you are exercising as well, keep in mind muscle weighs more, so you may be building muscle while losing the excess fat. I raise a glass water to you.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The scale is your worst enemy, keep going and don't worry about it, go by clothes and inches lost not scale readings.
  • LLisabell
    LLisabell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    treyzamay wrote: »
    So...a couple of weeks ago I got a Fitbit-this got me super motivated. I got the scale too...I upped my running mileage, I got a food scale and actually measure my food now and weigh it! The first week with the Fitbit was success! I lost 3 lb! 2nd week - this week- I gained 0.5! What the heck? So that was yesterday...so even though I still measured, weighed and counted everything yesterday and today, I did not exercise and I ate like avg 1000 extra calories each day. Tonight I weigh FIVE lbs more. :( feeling discouraged.
    The scale is your worst enemy, keep going and don't worry about it, go by clothes and inches lost not scale readings.

Don't get discouraged today's a new day and that weight you gained could of been muscle. So get back to it!!!!! Go you got this
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You have received several pieces of excellent advice. I particularly agree with the comments re caloric intake.

Why don't you calculate your TDEE accounting for your current activity level? Then use a 500 calorie deficit to result in an approximate 1 lb/week fat loss.

The more active you are, the more energy you need. If you are putting your body through stress of insufficient caloric intake, it will take energy from your muscles before converting fat to energy. This is instinctual famine survival and the only weight lost will be muscle mass, thereby reducing your metabolism making future fat loss harder!

Please don't be discouraged. Look at your calories, use a tape measure (as several others have suggested) and keep on keeping on.
  • kcampbell1969
    kcampbell1969 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh, I so needed to read this today. Treyzamay - I am going through the exact same thing you are. I even told myself before getting on the scale this morning, "You're going to do this and you're not going to like it." :'(

44 days today and I've MAYBE lost a total of 4 pounds. VERY discouraging. It's like my body refuses to let me see below a certain number - except for maybe a day or two. I try to only weigh myself once a week and I did take before pics, but I'm not brave enough to take more just yet. I also took measurements but not until I had been working at this for over a month.

I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred 4 days ago, so I'm hoping and praying that it will kick in soon. It's so hard right now to not just give up.

If you keep at it, I'll keep at it. :)

Katie
  • treyzamay
    treyzamay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Katie! Don't quit! I just started my marathon training today. I have to remember what this is all about. I had a minor setback, but will keep moving forward!
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is totally non-linear, and the number on the scale is simply the residual value of a whole host of processes, many of which are completely outside your control. It will fluctuate, but if you consistently eat at a deficit, it will trend down.

Don't starve yourself though.. Macros and micros are as important as your raw calorie count.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I ran 13.5 miles on Monday, 8 Tuesday, Wednesday an hour stairmill, 11 miles Thursday, 1 hr stairmill Friday, and all week my weights been up two lbs. My weights been off track by a pound but bam this morning 2+ down! Muscles retain water for various reasons. If your not eating over your calories your not gaining weight!!!! It's impossible.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @treyzamay While losing weight you have to expect the occasional fluctuation due to one of many factors... water retention from a high sodium meal, water retention from the start of a new workout routine, time of month, waste moving through your system, or sometimes even just glycogen or hydration replacement after being dehydrated at the last weigh in.

@kcampbell1969 I hope you don't give up! I can see where that rate of loss would be very frustrating. Are you using a food scale? Take a look at my post here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    More than numbers it should be about you feeling good that you're making changes and being active! Which you are so be proud of yourself! Like many of these fab posters here have said weight fluctuates so don't get down just because of that. Since you've been given great advice from so many I'm just going to say cheer up and keep up the good work!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Its not you so don't be disappointed in yourself. If you truly have stuck to the plan and been doing everything right, meaning using a food scale for most of your food and logging everything, then it is not a big deal. Weight does fluctuate A LOT. Just keep going and look at the overall trend. Tie your Fitbit scale to Trendweight.com and let it show you your actual progress which will include ups and downs.

My weight loss is really not a straight line. I will got weeks with no change or a slow loss then a huge drop, then it bounces back up again and then slow loss. The pattern is starting to emerge after 6 months of this. And I've lost 40 pounds. I always have to stop and remind myself of that when I start to feel a little frustrated. I am on the right path but this path has a lot of twists and turns and hard climbs and steep parts. It's not easy somedays. But totally worthwhile. :)

Keep up the good work!
  • kcampbell1969
    kcampbell1969 Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @blankiefinder

@kcampbell1969 I hope you don't give up! I can see where that rate of loss would be very frustrating. Are you using a food scale? Take a look at my post here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

Thanks! I am weighing and measuring absolutely everything - even bought a really good food scale and keep my collapsible measuring cups and spoons handy so I have no excuse not to. I have read everyone's comments to treyzamay and I truly appreciate all the advice. I won't give up! I'm better off now than I was 44 days ago when I began.