• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    protein powder
    creatine
    multi-vitamin
    fish oil
    vitamin b12 - increase energy production and mood; helps rebuild muscle breakdown after training
    calcium with vitamin D - for optimum bone density and aids in muscle contractions
    magnesium - reduces blood pressure, aids in muscle contractions and relaxation, regulates heart rhythm, aids in energy production in the body's cells
    kelp & selenium - both for my hypothyroidism

Is vitamin d not in your multi vitamin? Or magnesium?

both are in the multi that i take, but were recommended in addition by the coach i was using last year
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    protein powder
    creatine
    multi-vitamin
    fish oil
    vitamin b12 - increase energy production and mood; helps rebuild muscle breakdown after training
    calcium with vitamin D - for optimum bone density and aids in muscle contractions
    magnesium - reduces blood pressure, aids in muscle contractions and relaxation, regulates heart rhythm, aids in energy production in the body's cells
    kelp & selenium - both for my hypothyroidism

Is vitamin d not in your multi vitamin? Or magnesium?

both are in the multi that i take, but were recommended in addition by the coach i was using last year

That's okay, I reckon.everyone has slightly higher or lower levels in their bodies and we absorbe them differently too. (perhaps it was to combat late night chocolate...!!)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    How do you all know know what to take?! Do you see via food diary what you're missing and do your own research or see a nutritionist or something?
    They run blood when you have your yearly check-up. If you're too low in something, the doctor tells you what to take. :)

Don't agree as these stats they go with are so old... For example I'm over by bmi making me slightly obsese. However I only have 9% fat....
    What stats are you talking about?

I went to the doctor, he ran the blood and told me how much D to take. You will probably not be surprised to learn that your body fat percentage wasn't discussed.

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from here. What am I missing?
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Your Dr would go with the dra (daily recommend allowance) which was produced a long time ago. People have changed a lot since then, height, weight, etc so o believe their stats are nollonger accurate
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1) ON Platinum Hydrowhey Turbo Chocolate. I take this one because it taste really good to me 2) Optiwomen Multivitamin. It helps me hit my micros. 3) Fish oil because it is an essential fatty acid 4) ON Micronized Creatine. I take it to help me push 1-2 more reps. 5) Modern BCAA+. I spend massive amounts of time in the gym per week so I use BCAA to prevent loss of lean muscle mass. 6) Glutagen. I take it for recovery. 7) Mr. Hyde (Pre workout) I take it depending on my energy levels.
  • apcattle
    apcattle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protien Powder
    Multi Vitamin
    Creatine
    Pre Workout before gym for more push
  • MTmimi
    MTmimi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am taking a very pricey anti-aging combo, that is supposed to be good for everything (brain, eyes, bones, muscles, skin, energy levels, etc). The key ingredients appear to be Omega 3, vitamin A, B6 and 12, C, D, etc Calcium and other minerals. They have helped my skin condition (rosascea) a bit, given me more energy, and I am sick less often and for shorter lengths of time. I am looking for more economical vitamins though, since the ones I take cost me about $1,000 a year.

I may just go to a multi-vitamin and take extra Omega 3, A, B6 and 12 and D, and Calcium. Is Magnesium also important. I'm not too concerned about taking too many vitamins. Most of us don't get enough Omega 3 in our diet, and my Dr said we can take up to 10 times the recommended does of D. I think C and others just rinse out of you if you don't need them. I'm not sure about the iron and minerals though. Personally I think a lot of our foods are lacking in the vitamins we need even if we try to eat well.
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your Dr would go with the dra (daily recommend allowance) which was produced a long time ago. People have changed a lot since then, height, weight, etc so o believe their stats are nollonger accurate
    I'm guessing you're Canadian. In the US, we say RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) and the RDAs are more geared to average recommendations by the government on what the average person should try to eat. They aren't specific to any one individual and have nothing to do with what doctors do when there are deficiencies.

I've been told by other posters that in Canada, you cannot get wellness check-ups until you're middle-aged, so I don't know how you'd know if you were low on something in Canada and am not even going to try to advise anyone. Another poster said you guys have to wait until you're actually feeling sick, so I guess you'd wait until you had rickets or scurvy or something? I really don't know how they're practicing medicine up there. By I've been told more than once that Canadians cannot see a doctor until they're sick, so it would make sense to guess and take whatever supplements you guess you need.

In the US, we can go to the doctor every year. He runs the blood. If you're low, he will treat the deficiency. But that has nothing to do with RDAs, really. It's the easiest and most sensible way to know what supplements you might need.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I have lived in three provinces in Canada. Every doctor I have had recommends a yearly physical. I also have 4 children that had physicals (wellness exams) every year from birth and up. Great health care and great doctors.
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am having RNY surgery so required to start taking 200%RDA multivitamin, 200% Calcium Citrate, Iron, Magnesium, D, B12. And what ever else comes up deficient when labs are done. I think I'll take a potassium too because I average about 150grms a day and I think you're suppose to have some super high number like 3700.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ON Opti-Women Multi Vitamin - insurance policy for any nutritional holes in my diet
    Body Building.com Fish Oil - health benefits of EFA's too numerous to list
    Dymatize ISO 100 Protein Powder - convenience to hit my protein macro
    Muscle Pharm BCAA'S - recovery
    Muscle Tech CreaCore - I want dem extra reps
    ON Glutamine - repair/MPS/gains

I keep it pretty basic off season and regularly try different brands of the multi vitamin, fish oil, BCAA'S ( leucine has to be 3:1) and glutamine. I never change out the protein brand or the creatine.
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    I have lived in three provinces in Canada. Every doctor I have had recommends a yearly physical. I also have 4 children that had physicals (wellness exams) every year from birth and up. Great health care and great doctors.
    Several people here have said that Canadians cannot go to the doctor unless they're sick. One said that kids could and people over a certain age (I forget the number, but she gave me one, 40 or 50-something) could go, but everyone else had to be actually exhibiting symptoms of illness/disease in order to see a doctor.

When the first person said it, I thought, "This person is an idiot. Canada isn't a third-world country. They must have wellness checkups." But then one after another Canadian poster has showed up to say so. Some are even, "Oh, you Americans, thinking everyone can live the way you do," about it, lol.

It did seem particularly backwards and willfully - almost nefariously - negligent (in this day and age) to deny people basic, standard, preventative medical care, but SO MANY people have said that is how it goes up there.

You're the first person to say, "Canadians can get wellness checkups."

I don't know what to believe, honestly.
  • Debmal77
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Several people here have said that Canadians cannot go to the doctor unless they're sick. One said that kids could and people over a certain age (I forget the number, but she gave me one, 40 or 50-something) could go, but everyone else had to be actually exhibiting symptoms of illness/disease in order to see a doctor.

When the first person said it, I thought, "This person is an idiot. Canada isn't a third-world country. They must have wellness checkups." But then one after another Canadian poster has showed up to say so. Some are even, "Oh, you Americans, thinking everyone can live the way you do," about it, lol.

It did seem particularly backwards and willfully - almost nefariously - negligent (in this day and age) to deny people basic, standard, preventative medical care, but SO MANY people have said that is how it goes up there.

They are not called wellness exams in Canada they are yearly physicals. Maybe there is some confusion there. I don't know who you have spoken to however you have the wrong information. A comment like "Some people only go to the doctor when they are sick." maybe be more appropriate when speaking about a country you don't live in. You did give my husband and I a good laugh today. Thank you. :D

Edit to add: I honestly hope there are no more comments about the health care system. Please and thank you.
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2015
    Options

They are not called wellness exams in Canada they are yearly physicals. Maybe there is some confusion there. I don't know who you have spoken to however you have the wrong information. A comment like "Some people only go to the doctor when they are sick." maybe be more appropriate when speaking about a country you don't live in. You did give my husband and I a good laugh today. Thank you. :D

Edit to add: I honestly hope there are no more comments about the health care system. Please and thank you.

The people who said it claimed to be Canadians.

I use the terms "wellness checkup" and "physical" interchangeably. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I hope that you are right. That's what I assumed in the first place. It's the way it ought to be! :)

Edit:

I've been googling. I'm the last person to pretend that googling is a substitute for real knowledge! But this article says that some Canadians can get physicals and some can't. Is that the difference? Maybe you live in a different place than these they people did? And none of you knew that it is different in different places?

So, you were in places where you could get checkups, but they were in places where they couldn't...and all of you thought that the whole country was working the way did where you lived?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/is-an-annual-physical-necessary-the-doctor-is-out-on-that-one-1.2017959
    The College of Family Physicians of Canada doesn’t have a national policy on how often patients should receive checkups, so around the rest of the country, there’s a hodge-podge of policies.
    Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador no longer cover annual physicals in patients without symptoms of illness. But they are covered in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and the Northwest Territories.

Maybe the article is wrong?

There has to be a reason different Canadians are saying completely different things about their health care system.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    How do you all know know what to take?! Do you see via food diary what you're missing and do your own research or see a nutritionist or something?
    They run blood when you have your yearly check-up. If you're too low in something, the doctor tells you what to take. :)

Don't agree as these stats they go with are so old... For example I'm over by bmi making me slightly obsese. However I only have 9% fat....
    What stats are you talking about?

I went to the doctor, he ran the blood and told me how much D to take. You will probably not be surprised to learn that your body fat percentage wasn't discussed.

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from here. What am I missing?

I get what you are talking about. Sometimes I request my own blood work without running it through my insurance/primary doctor. The labs usually provide the report back using updated ranges and the doctor interprets the results. Nothing to do with BMI, RDA. It's not about intake, its about what is remnant in your body.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're Canadian. In the US, we say RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) and the RDAs are more geared to average recommendations by the government on what the average person should try to eat. They aren't specific to any one individual and have nothing to do with what doctors do when there are deficiencies.

I've been told by other posters that in Canada, you cannot get wellness check-ups until you're middle-aged, so I don't know how you'd know if you were low on something in Canada and am not even going to try to advise anyone. Another poster said you guys have to wait until you're actually feeling sick, so I guess you'd wait until you had rickets or scurvy or something? I really don't know how they're practicing medicine up there. By I've been told more than once that Canadians cannot see a doctor until they're sick, so it would make sense to guess and take whatever supplements you guess you need.

In the US, we can go to the doctor every year. He runs the blood. If you're low, he will treat the deficiency. But that has nothing to do with RDAs, really. It's the easiest and most sensible way to know what supplements you might need.

I've been getting yearly check ups most of my life. The doc will run pretty much any blood work I ask for, and will run a general panel every year. I don't know where you are getting your Canadian health care information from, but I can assure you from where I am that is incredibly inaccurate.
  • Debmal77
    Options

I use the terms "wellness checkup" and "physical" interchangeably. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I hope that you are right. That's what I assumed in the first place. It's the way it ought to be! :)

Edit:

I've been googling. I'm the last person to pretend that googling is a substitute for real knowledge! But this article says that some Canadians can get physicals and some can't. Is that the difference? Maybe you live in a different place than these they people did? And none of you knew that it is different in different places?

So, you were in places where you could get checkups, but they were in places where they couldn't...and all of you thought that the whole country was working the way did where you lived?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/is-an-annual-physical-necessary-the-doctor-is-out-on-that-one-1.2017959
    The College of Family Physicians of Canada doesn’t have a national policy on how often patients should receive checkups, so around the rest of the country, there’s a hodge-podge of policies.
    Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador no longer cover annual physicals in patients without symptoms of illness. But they are covered in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and the Northwest Territories.

There has to be a reason different Canadians are saying completely different things about their health care system.

Edit:

This thread is not about what Canadians are saying. Now you are derailing. Is this just a last word in thing?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Edit:

The article says that the check ups are not covered by the government, not that people can't go.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Edit:

The article says that the check ups are not covered by the government, not that people can't go.
    That's true.

Maybe those people just didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe when they said they "couldn't" do that, they meant that they couldn't do it unless they paid for it.

That makes a lot more sense than anything else has. :)

• Kalikel
    Options

Edit:

Edit:

This thread is not about what Canadians are saying. Now you are derailing. Is this just a last word in thing?
    No, it was an "I'm actually interested in this and want to know" thing. I was not attempting to fight or derail anything.

I hope that you and your husband have a pleasant evening.