The i am not fat anymore struggle?

Options
2»

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    @ RolemodelmomT i was exactly the same way. it wasn't till i passed in front of a mirror or had to buy clothes. i never really felt fat. now that I've lost 100, i feel fat. my brain is an *kitten* sometimes.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    @ RolemodelmomT i was exactly the same way. it wasn't till i passed in front of a mirror or had to buy clothes. i never really felt fat. now that I've lost 100, i feel fat. my brain is an *kitten* sometimes.

Trying on clothes. Blech. Sometimes it's rough at any weight, especially for us borderline petites!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    *Grabs XL size from clothing rack.*
    Says: "I'm so glad I'm not a size 22/24 anymore. Doo, doo, doo..."
    *Tries on XL and looks in mirror*
    Says: "How come this XL size is so big?!?"
    *Remembers she's now actually a M.*

I have accepted I'm not obese. Seven years later I still don't understand that the size Ms on the rack will fit me now.
    This is me to a "T". I was doing some volunteer work and we all had to wear the logo'd tshirt, the director hands me a shirt and said, "Here you go, medium right?" I said, "No, XL a medium is too small." She looked at me like I was crazy and told me to put on the shirt and come back if I still needed the XL. She didn't know me at the heavier weight. Yes, the medium fit just fine.
    I also will see myself in pictures -- STILL -- and say "who's that skinny woman standing next to mom?!? oh... that's me." I know this sounds like a problem lots of people wish they had. But for me, this becomes an issue with self confidence and how I'm perceived by others. I still "act" like a shy, morbidly obese girl. If you meet me for the first time, instead of coming across like a quiet, nerdy, shy person, I come across like a stuck up, snobby, sullen, thin woman with low self esteem.
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    *Grabs XL size from clothing rack.*
    Says: "I'm so glad I'm not a size 22/24 anymore. Doo, doo, doo..."
    *Tries on XL and looks in mirror*
    Says: "How come this XL size is so big?!?"
    *Remembers she's now actually a M.*

I have accepted I'm not obese. Seven years later I still don't understand that the size Ms on the rack will fit me now.
    This is me to a "T". I was doing some volunteer work and we all had to wear the logo'd tshirt, the director hands me a shirt and said, "Here you go, medium right?" I said, "No, XL a medium is too small." She looked at me like I was crazy and told me to put on the shirt and come back if I still needed the XL. She didn't know me at the heavier weight. Yes, the medium fit just fine.

this happened to me the other day ..

I went kayaking for the first time and the guy who was welcoming me took me over to the life preservers, looked me up and down said 'mm small medium' and picked up a life preserver .. I opened my mouth to say ' WHAT you cant be serious I am NOT a small medium' but was too embarrased so went off to try and wear it .. of course it fitted fine ...?!

Being overweight in my head takes longer to get rid of than the actual fat
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    A little bit when I'm squishing that little bit of fat that's still there around my bellybutton that prevents my abs from showing. But most of the time when I look in a mirror I'm like "Holy *kitten* I look hot now."
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »

I can relate to this. I have lost about 25 pounds, and I feel so much better, but now it's starting to dawn on me exactly how fat I was. I think the issue is that there are a lot of plus-size women in my life who have always been much larger than me, and I used to compare myself to them and think "I'm not so bad." Now, I'm starting to compare myself to the "normal" size women around me and realizing I have a long way to go.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    A little bit when I'm squishing that little bit of fat that's still there around my bellybutton that prevents my abs from showing. But most of the time when I look in a mirror I'm like "Holy *kitten* I look hot now."

So glad I'm not the only one that pokes at my belly fat! It's like, 'damn, are you still here?' Go away!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I've lost 50 pounds and I still don't really see myself as healthy or fit.

I think it takes the brain a while to catch up to the body. That's normal, to an extent. The best cure for that is time and patience. You'll get used to the new you.

(If, on the other hand, you are really struggling with your body image longer term, it could be a sign of body dysmorphia, so keep an eye on it.)
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I m close to goal weight and am gradually switching To Maintenance . I will always have problem spots like jiggly arms and inside thighs. I want to let that go and think that time and toning will help. I want To be strong and I don't want my face to be saggy from being too thin
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I m close to goal weight and am gradually switching To Maintenance . I will always have problem spots like jiggly arms and inside thighs. I want to let that go and think that time and toning will help. I want To be strong and I don't want my face to be saggy from being too thin

Yeah, I will always be short and freckled and frizzy and pale. That's just how I'm made, fat or thin. I don't think there's anything particularly attractive or desirable about protruding ribs, though, so I'm not trying to lose weight past a healthy range. My main goals now are strength- and health-based, not scale-based.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the pic, you are exceedingly muscular and should immediately stop thinking you need to worry about fat. There simply isn't any fat to worry about there. None. Zero.

There is something off with your face, though. I can't quite...it's the ears! You might want to get those checked.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I lost slowly, 30lb over a year, so I was quite used to my size by the time I was in maintenance. However, last year ( 5yr later) I started a Zumba class in a studio with a wall of mirrors, I nearly wet myself laughing at myself wiggling away. I looked tall and slender. Weird.
    I'm only 5'1, and I hadn't grown taller, but abstractly watching myself animated really made it hit home I was where I always wanted to be. Weight and fitness wise- my proportions were correct and you could see a bit of muscle under the layer of fat. ( at 62 I want a layer of fat otherwise I would look scrawny and stringy).
    Big confidence boost.

It takes a while to get use to a new you, and you will always be surprising yourself in reflections, mirrors, photos, and videos.

Cheers, h.
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I feel the same way too almost everyday. When I go outside, people tell me I look fit. But when I look at myself in the mirror, I see all the negative things I see (not the positive ones). I have low self esteem and need to fix it in order to love myself. ^_^
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I am really confused. I lost 17 kilos over a long time. I take size 10, down from size 16 UK sizes. But some days I look in the mirror and I think I am still overweight. Sales staff in shops say I am things but I'm not sure. I can't decide if I need to loose more. I thought I reached maintenance 2 weeks ago so I started to add a few hundred calories a week. My weight went up .3 kgs this week and I'm not happy. What is happening to me? Even a tiny .3 kilo increase upsets me even though I know my weight won't stay exactly the same. I know I should have a range for maintenance and I choose 61 to 63 kilos, but now that I am there I'm still not happy.
    I keep comparing myself to others who are say 55 or 58 kilos. Even though they might be shorter and younger than me, I find it hard to accept that I weigh more than them. I wonder will I ever be happy? Will I always want to be thinner.? Oh I do like how I look now but I just keep thinking a bit more,, a bit more......when does it stop?

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I lost slowly, 30lb over a year, so I was quite used to my size by the time I was in maintenance. However, last year ( 5yr later) I started a Zumba class in a studio with a wall of mirrors, I nearly wet myself laughing at myself wiggling away. I looked tall and slender. Weird.
    I'm only 5'1, and I hadn't grown taller, but abstractly watching myself animated really made it hit home I was where I always wanted to be. Weight and fitness wise- my proportions were correct and you could see a bit of muscle under the layer of fat. ( at 62 I want a layer of fat otherwise I would look scrawny and stringy).
    Big confidence boost.

It takes a while to get use to a new you, and you will always be surprising yourself in reflections, mirrors, photos, and videos.

Cheers, h.

This wins Most Adorable Sentence on MFP today. :D
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yes, me. I've lost 40 lbs. and I still feel so chunky. I'm in the healthy BMI range, I wear a size 6, and I'm fit and active. This morning I wanted to do some gardening and I was sooooo scared to put on a pair of my gardening pants that used to be so tight on me I couldn't bend over in them to pick weeds. I put them on and they are actually very loose - I don't even have to unbutton them to pull them up. When will it ever get through my thick skull? Someone called me "willowy" yesterday and I laughed at the absurdity. People call me thin all the time. I really wish my mind would catch up with everyone else around me :)