Best Low Calorie Sources of Fibre

Options
2»

Replies

• Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This has been my biggest issue... My body does not know how to handle the change in calories, even though it is almost 5 months since I started losing weight.

I have tried almost everything listed above - trying too much, then too little, then in the middle (in terms of volume eaten of these things). I have not found the magic bullet.

I will try magnesium supps next...

R
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have heard people swear by coffee to get things moving, saying that the caffeine stimulates your colon. I have no scientific proof to offer, but it does work for me.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No speedy fix....you just gotta eat clean.
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cabbage has tons of fiber :)
  • fatdaduk
    fatdaduk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

This is the problem, not the solution.

I think I need a quarter pounder with cheese to move things along!

R

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A bowl of dried apricots, followed by 2 cups of espresso.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

Depending on how you define eating clean. I've had constipation problems on occasion when I ate too little fat (nature's intestinal lubricant), in combination with too little food period.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Leafy green veg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Lots of good ideas here to help with the constipation. Many people find that dates, prunes or prune juice help get things going again.

Some people find that a little mineral oil or Milk of Mag helps.

If it's been four days and you haven't pooped, you might consider calling the doctor.

I find that adding a simple magnesium supplement helps. Many of us are lacking in magnesium, especially if eating a lower carb diet.

For food: broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables are great!
    I don't get enough mag. When I have iron and potassium down, mag is next. Also Vitamin K. I figured it would be easier to lump those two in together since they're such good friends already. They're already on my radar.

For me, edamame really moves things along. I love the stuff and have to limit how much I eat because it moves things along a little to well, lol.

But we are all different in actual foods - what helps, what doesn't.

The mag is a nice idea. :)
    I love edamame! I haven't noticed it having any effects on my bowels, but I do adore the stuff.

Yeah, a mag supplement is probably a good idea for many dieters.
    I do great with potassium. My go to salad for lunch is kale (etc) with sardines on it. That about covers the potassium needs right there. :)

I want to say "Ew!" to sardines, but should probably try them first, lol. The smell is not something I remember fondly.

Will have to try them. I see them in the store, by the tuna. I'll pick some up soon. :)

I don't notice any difference with edamame until I eat too much. I really do love that stuff. It's so good with everything!

smiles. I understand. I buy sustainably caught sardines in olive oil/lemon from costco. Often I use the oil as my dressing. I adore sardines, and kippered herring.
    Both are a great source of Omega 3s as well.
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Scandinavian crispbreads (holland and barratts sell them) -they have 4.2g fibre per slice (31 kcals) .

They taste of cardboard but are an easy way to keep the fiber up without having a lot of carb cals if you don't want them :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here to help with the constipation. Many people find that dates, prunes or prune juice help get things going again.

Some people find that a little mineral oil or Milk of Mag helps.

If it's been four days and you haven't pooped, you might consider calling the doctor.

I find that adding a simple magnesium supplement helps. Many of us are lacking in magnesium, especially if eating a lower carb diet.

For food: broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables are great!
    I don't get enough mag. When I have iron and potassium down, mag is next. Also Vitamin K. I figured it would be easier to lump those two in together since they're such good friends already. They're already on my radar.

For me, edamame really moves things along. I love the stuff and have to limit how much I eat because it moves things along a little to well, lol.

But we are all different in actual foods - what helps, what doesn't.

The mag is a nice idea. :)
    I love edamame! I haven't noticed it having any effects on my bowels, but I do adore the stuff.

Yeah, a mag supplement is probably a good idea for many dieters.
    I do great with potassium. My go to salad for lunch is kale (etc) with sardines on it. That about covers the potassium needs right there. :)

I want to say "Ew!" to sardines, but should probably try them first, lol. The smell is not something I remember fondly.

Will have to try them. I see them in the store, by the tuna. I'll pick some up soon. :)

I don't notice any difference with edamame until I eat too much. I really do love that stuff. It's so good with everything!

I like sardines (and kippered herring even better), but I hate canned tuna (love tuna steak and most other fish), so we may just have completely opposite tastes. I do like edamame.

For OP, on the fiber thing, the easiest source of fiber for the calories for me are beans, even though they aren't low cal, since they are so high fiber. I find lots of green vegetables really don't have all that much fiber, although they are low cal.

But for constipation purposes, as others have said, simply increasing fiber may not be the best strategy short term. If you think you are low in general it would be good to gradually increase, however, once the current issue is addressed. Too quickly increasing can lead to digestive issues.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    A bowl of dried apricots, followed by 2 cups of espresso.

That sounds explosive!