Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

Question - have you had your cute dresses 'taken in' after losing weight?

hcs00
hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
I have so many cute dresses I would HATE to lose the ability to wear when I lose more weight (down 14 so far so not an issue, but I need to lose a good 75). Like a Modcloth closet full of 40+ dresses with patterns and gorgeous accents I will miss dearly.

Have you taken in dresses, and what kind of results have you seen? Of course I'd find a professional but it is a huge concern of mine (lots of money invested in those clothes).

Also are there any hints on how to pin them on myself to not be too baggy, or simple sewing techniques I can do without ripping out entire side seams and redoing them? I do have a machine but am a novice.

When I google I basically get wedding dress stuff so I thought I'd post here.
«1

Replies

  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    There is a limit to how much a dress can be taken in based on the style and pattern, after a certain it's almost like making a new dress. That said, I've taken some of my vintage dress to get taken in. Yelp a good place.
    Even without undoing the seam, by sewing them in a make shift way, you are still compromising the fabric. Go to goodwill get a cheap dress to practice on. I've taken in dress without lining and it's easy if you have basic sewing skills. In the meantime, belts and structured crop jackets will help with the bagginess.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,465 Member
    I found it wasn't worth it. Even if I took something in, it didn't fit again in a few months. I did better attending a clothing exchange and trading in my old wardrobe.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,346 Member
    I had one taken in and that was a disaster so most of them I sold on ebay and I now have fun buying new smaller sizes :smiley:
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,052 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found it wasn't worth it. Even if I took something in, it didn't fit again in a few months. I did better attending a clothing exchange and trading in my old wardrobe.

    How did you happen to find a clothing exchange? I have never heard of that before. I just bagged up 3 bags of too-large-clothes last night.

    70044776.png

  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 558 Member
    I have taken in a dress and i realised i will have to probably take in my favourite summer dress next year too. if you turn the dress inside out and pin it on both seams evenly you can then roughly stich it with thread that snaps easily (not sure what its called in english) but its what i use to quickly sew something together to see how it looks on. Turn it the right way and put it on to have a look how it fits and tweek where needed. you can then sew properly using the machine. You will have to undo any hems and beading before hand and resew them after you've finished the seams. If you're not confident enough find someone to do it for you though you don't want to ruin your favourite dresses.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    I did this with 2 dresses recently. I'm really pleased with the results, but I was about 140-145 lbs when I fit into them, and now I am 126-129 lbs, so they didn't need to be taken in drastically (about 3.5 inches in the waist). They also were around $40 new, and I paid $50 each for the tailoring (they needed to be hemmed too). Not sure if the price is worth it, but I am happy to still be wearing them. I also chose 2 dresses that are a solid colour with a simple/classic shape that will never really go out of style.

    I also had like 7 pairs of dress pants taken in and a top. It was pricey, but was better than buying all new stuff in my opinion!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,465 Member
    @GreenValli , I am part of a post-Bariatric support group on Facebook that organizes regular clothing exchanges. You could do something similar by visiting a second-hand clothing store.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    It's expensive to have someone do it for you, and it might not work out. Lots of "tailoring" places mostly deal with shortening pant legs and suck at anything more complicated than that. Doing it on your own involves spending a lot of time learning sewing skills. Not worth it.

    If you really love a particular fabric, you could make a scarf out of it.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Losing weight is a great reason to buy different cute dresses! Treat yourself. You have earned it.
  • hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Losing weight is a great reason to buy different cute dresses! Treat yourself. You have earned it.

    Totally but you have no idea how awesome most of my clothes are! Dinosaur print dress my husband JUST bought me for my birthday, Wednesday Addams black dress with white collar?! I can't give them up.

    I have quick stitched some shirts smaller on the inside but have never tried on a beloved dress. Maybe I'll do the suggestion of getting a Goodwill one to practice.
  • hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    kailyw05 wrote: »
    I did this with 2 dresses recently. I'm really pleased with the results, but I was about 140-145 lbs when I fit into them, and now I am 126-129 lbs, so they didn't need to be taken in drastically (about 3.5 inches in the waist). They also were around $40 new, and I paid $50 each for the tailoring (they needed to be hemmed too). Not sure if the price is worth it, but I am happy to still be wearing them. I also chose 2 dresses that are a solid colour with a simple/classic shape that will never really go out of style.

    I also had like 7 pairs of dress pants taken in and a top. It was pricey, but was better than buying all new stuff in my opinion!


    Some of my dresses are just too cool to give up or aren't available still to re-buy. I'll have to do a serious inventory and figure out what's worth changing and what I can give up. Sigh. What a "terrible" problem to have right?!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    hcs00 wrote: »
    kailyw05 wrote: »
    I did this with 2 dresses recently. I'm really pleased with the results, but I was about 140-145 lbs when I fit into them, and now I am 126-129 lbs, so they didn't need to be taken in drastically (about 3.5 inches in the waist). They also were around $40 new, and I paid $50 each for the tailoring (they needed to be hemmed too). Not sure if the price is worth it, but I am happy to still be wearing them. I also chose 2 dresses that are a solid colour with a simple/classic shape that will never really go out of style.

    I also had like 7 pairs of dress pants taken in and a top. It was pricey, but was better than buying all new stuff in my opinion!


    Some of my dresses are just too cool to give up or aren't available still to re-buy. I'll have to do a serious inventory and figure out what's worth changing and what I can give up. Sigh. What a "terrible" problem to have right?!

    It's what my boss calls a 'high class' problem. I have a wardrobe full of awesome (and expensive :( ) dresses that no longer fit, and they're designs that can't be taken in as much as I'd need. I could probably make two dresses that would fit me from the material in some of them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,574 Member
    A good seamstress can usually take things in for one size, sometimes two.
    After that, I give mine away and shop for a few beautiful things.
    I only have clothes in my closest that I love and that look wonderful on me
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I'm currently from a size 22 to a size 14. I took my dresses into a tailor and he actually suggested I not bother. He said at this point he'd be cutting new dresses out of the fabric and the price was around what a new dress would cost. He suggested saving that for truely itreplacable dresses.

    Mine got bagged up for goodwill. There was lots of nice stuff and I hope someone is enjoying them! I'm in goodwill myself till I bottom out ;)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I had some stuff taken in, and some of it I still wear, but nothing is ever quite right/the same.
  • Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    I've taken in a lot of my dresses and I've always taken up clothes as I'm 5ftb2. But I run my own little seeing business. Where do you live? By chance if it was close I'd do it for you xxxx
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I didn't buy any cute dresses while I was overweight...I hibernated and disguised my grandiose butt in yoga pants...but I have a gorgeous "cute" dress that I'm just fitting into, bought as my goal outfit...
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    I'm currently from a size 22 to a size 14. I took my dresses into a tailor and he actually suggested I not bother. He said at this point he'd be cutting new dresses out of the fabric and the price was around what a new dress would cost. He suggested saving that for truely itreplacable dresses.

    Mine got bagged up for goodwill. There was lots of nice stuff and I hope someone is enjoying them! I'm in goodwill myself till I bottom out ;)

    This is a good guideline.

    I have a machine and can sew. I've altered a couple of dresses successfully from 16 down to 12 where the dress was really unique but it's a lot of work to get right. The greater the size change, the more exponentially the job increases. It's not just nipping in the side seams: past a point, you'll need to rip the garment apart to re-cut the whole bodice. I have a couple of very good but highly tailored suit dresses that I won't touch because I'm looking at four or five sizes down now, and even at two sizes they were best left to a professional.

    So, my advice would be to alter garments where: a) the size difference is one or two sizes, b) the garment is unique or has sentimental value, and c) if you feel your skill level is sufficient that you won't destroy it. Otherwise, bag and donate.

  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Look at taking them to a consignment shop to sell, or ebay or somewhere you could get some of your money back and invest in something new. Sometimes you can take things in on the sides a little bit. It's hard when the bigger sizes have the huge long arm hole(under arm area) and you just can't get that right. Maybe a couple sizes you could play with, after that, you've just got to give it up. Look at consignment or thrift stores for new things too, or ebay. Good luck
  • hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    Bex_hostie wrote: »
    I've taken in a lot of my dresses and I've always taken up clothes as I'm 5ftb2. But I run my own little seeing business. Where do you live? By chance if it was close I'd do it for you xxxx

    I'm in NW Chicago - any chance you are near here?

    I get really attached to some of them, the patterns are irreplaceable so all the suggestions to donate or get new pretty clothes are nice but not what I'm looking for.