Is ignorance bliss?

Options

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Ignorance is not bliss, it often leads to people needing to use this app!
    True. Lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    No, I don't think ignorance is bliss. You made good choices. And I bet it was delicious. And frankly when I eat too much I feel crappy later. Smaller portions of delicious food make me really happy. And if I want more, I have another small portion and go for a walk. I always hit my goal for the week, because I pay attention to my body and I'm usually not that hungry the next day.

Pay attention to your body and you'll eat more delicious food, eat less crap, and feel better.

You're so right! The overall weekly total is the main thing. And today I wasn't all that hungry at all, must have been all the protein :smile:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    But it was a barbecue you were supposed to enjoy.

Is there a rule that states one has to over-indulge to enjoy a barbecue?

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to compare to others. I can tell you from personal experience that for a long time I was happier eating whatever I wanted, however much I wanted, damn the consequences. Ignorance was bliss. For a while.

Until the consequences caught up to me. Weight gain that crept up by ten pounds at a time until I no longer could buy clothes that fit or recognize myself in the mirror. Difficulty even climbing a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Worrisome health problems.

Now maybe I don't have the carefree "sure, I'll have more cake" attitude than I did before. But overall I'm much happier. I'm making informed decisions about what I eat, knowing that there's nothing in life that's consequence-free. And I'm healthy and enjoying life a lot more. And yes, if I plan for it, I still get to eat cake.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    But it was a barbecue you were supposed to enjoy.

Is there a rule that states one has to over-indulge to enjoy a barbecue?

i said enjoy.
    Unless you have a barbecue/party every day why then cant you indulge?
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm not going to compare to others. I can tell you from personal experience that for a long time I was happier eating whatever I wanted, however much I wanted, damn the consequences. Ignorance was bliss. For a while.

Until the consequences caught up to me. Weight gain that crept up by ten pounds at a time until I no longer could buy clothes that fit or recognize myself in the mirror. Difficulty even climbing a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. Worrisome health problems.

Now maybe I don't have the carefree "sure, I'll have more cake" attitude than I did before. But overall I'm much happier. I'm making informed decisions about what I eat, knowing that there's nothing in life that's consequence-free. And I'm healthy and enjoying life a lot more. And yes, if I plan for it, I still get to eat cake.

exactly the whole thing about this story, is planning for it.
  • Therealobi1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    In relations to this story OP told i am not sure where the ignorance is bliss comments is coming from, after all the OP stated not all of them were overweight. You know you have a party coming up, so some of them might of planned for it. Was that the first meal they had all day? Did they eat less all week to make up for it at the party? Are they going to make sure they work out later to make up for what they ate?

But outside of the story, yes I guess if people thought about how much they are eating more and the consequences of it there will be less weight problems
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Well the good thing for me about that over indulgence at that bbq, the next day I wasn't that hungry, ate only 1650 cals and wiped out the over indulgence of the Saturday night in one fell swoop... me likey!! and this is how I do it in general, thats what maintenance is about as far as I'm concerned - enjoying the odd splurge but eating that bit less at other times so it all balances out. Oh and I usually get moving more too. :smiley:
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Well the good thing for me about that over indulgence at that bbq, the next day I wasn't that hungry, ate only 1650 cals and wiped out the over indulgence of the Saturday night in one fell swoop... me likey!! and this is how I do it in general, thats what maintenance is about as far as I'm concerned - enjoying the odd splurge but eating that bit less at other times so it all balances out. Oh and I usually get moving more too. :smiley:

ha see thats good
    i agree.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The way I look at my calorie counting is that a single, rare, over-indulgence is not going to break my weight loss overall. I enjoy food so if it's a special occasion (such as my birthday meal on Saturday) I may not be totally obsessed with counting calories so that I can enjoy that special occasion to it's fullest. Then get back to the calorie counting the next day.
    It's when a rare over-indulgence becomes a routine over-indulgence that the issues start and the weight can sneak back on.
    Total ignorance at the time may be bliss but being well-informed means you know how to not let calories control, or ruin, your routine.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    In relations to this story OP told i am not sure where the ignorance is bliss comments is coming from, after all the OP stated not all of them were overweight. You know you have a party coming up, so some of them might of planned for it. Was that the first meal they had all day? Did they eat less all week to make up for it at the party? Are they going to make sure they work out later to make up for what they ate?

But outside of the story, yes I guess if people thought about how much they are eating more and the consequences of it there will be less weight problems

I thought it referred more to the mentally relaxed attitude that most people seem to have. Whether they actually aren't paying any attention, one can never know. But there are days when I wish I could just un-know all the things I've learned because where I am now, I always think about the calories, macros, micros.... I may make a conscious decision to just wing it, enjoy myself and not log. But, that was a decision I had to make and I'm still mindful. I can never eat completely carefree any more. I feel the regret sometimes, but of course, I wouldn't change back for anything. Paying attention is a very small price to pay for being healthy and happy and feeling good about accomplishing my goals. There's a trade off to everything. Now, I'm aware of what that is.

@happycampr1 ^^ this
  • segacs
    Options
    To be fair, not everyone needs to count calories to remain at a healthy weight. Some people seem to do it more effortlessly than others because some people actually do -- without thinking about it too much -- have a natural tendency to eat what they burn and no more. For people who are relatively active and who don't have an inclination to eat too much, it can seem easy or even effortless, and they might not understand why people feel the need to count calories.

Calorie counting is a tool. It's information. It's helpful to people who, left unchecked, would incline towards eating too much. It's also extremely helpful once you've gained too much weight in order to lose it again, because most of us don't nationally incline towards eating at a deficit.

But, it's like with anything that comes easy: Sometimes it stops being so easy. Just like the smart kid who coasts through high school only to hit a wall in college when the work gets harder and they realize they never developed proper study habits. That naturally slim friend packing it away at a BBQ in her 20s might have a rude awakening when she hits her 50s and starts to get thicker around the middle. Then you'll be the one ahead of the game, because you've honed your skills and nutritional and exercise knowledge earlier.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Time for a little rant!

Last night I was at a barbecue, it was a buffet style at my sister in laws - I stuck to the meats plus salads and for dessert I indulged in a small slice of birthday cake and some trifle....

That all came to 1500 calories!! For one meal! (My TDEE is approx 2200)

Anyway what I'm ranting about is that I noticed that everyone else in the room ate around 3 times what I did....! :-( and they didn't seem to care just how much either.

Is ignorance really bliss? ?

I sort of begrudge them for being able to be so care free!

And the thing is only a few if them were overweight.

Sighhhhh.

I ended up being 250 cals over my TDEE yesterday which is fine as during the week I eat at slight deficit since maintenance to allow for my weekend eating.

Sometimes I wish I could just eat without thinking of the calories.....but then I wouldn't be slim!! So needs must.

Anyone else care to rant about anything similar?

Ruth

I TOTALLY hear you!

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person in the world bothering to count my calories - especially at social events! I am the only one mentally totting up the calories and 'logging it into my tracker' - but I know that without those habits of mine, I will almost certainly 1000% gain my weight back and I'm just not willing to do that right now. It can be really upsetting to see my friends eating whatever they want in abundance and not gain a single pound and sometimes knowing I can't have that kind of 'normality' does bother me. But it is what it is and I have to accept the way my body reacts to food. Sure, I'm not like every one else - so I make an effort to stay on track and I remind myself it's for my own good :)
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I stopped in my local watering hole yesterday. I check in about once every 3 weeks. I stick to rum and diet coke...usually only one but sometimes two. Nick, a guy about my age, is sitting there. Severely overweight and smoking. Also had a bucket of beers in front of him, found out it was his second bucket of the day. The bartender and I are chatting about local gyms when Nick pipes up....I need to go to the gym but never find the time. I turn to Nick and said..so how often do you come in here? He replied...every day usually, but only for about an hr. I didn't say another word. Just raised my eyebrow. I rest my case.

When you set health goals for yourself, and start reaching them...it becomes very obvious how others are simply plodding along.

Stay focused....

• Therealobi1
    Options
    Time for a little rant!

Last night I was at a barbecue, it was a buffet style at my sister in laws - I stuck to the meats plus salads and for dessert I indulged in a small slice of birthday cake and some trifle....

That all came to 1500 calories!! For one meal! (My TDEE is approx 2200)

Anyway what I'm ranting about is that I noticed that everyone else in the room ate around 3 times what I did....! :-( and they didn't seem to care just how much either.

Is ignorance really bliss? ?

I sort of begrudge them for being able to be so care free!

And the thing is only a few if them were overweight.

Sighhhhh.

I ended up being 250 cals over my TDEE yesterday which is fine as during the week I eat at slight deficit since maintenance to allow for my weekend eating.

Sometimes I wish I could just eat without thinking of the calories.....but then I wouldn't be slim!! So needs must.

Anyone else care to rant about anything similar?

Ruth

I TOTALLY hear you!

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person in the world bothering to count my calories - especially at social events! I am the only one mentally totting up the calories and 'logging it into my tracker' - but I know that without those habits of mine, I will almost certainly 1000% gain my weight back and I'm just not willing to do that right now. It can be really upsetting to see my friends eating whatever they want in abundance and not gain a single pound and sometimes knowing I can't have that kind of 'normality' does bother me. But it is what it is and I have to accept the way my body reacts to food. Sure, I'm not like every one else - so I make an effort to stay on track and I remind myself it's for my own good :)

I really think i am missing something here, because when I go out I am not thinking about what my friend has eaten. Why would it upset you what they eat? Have you ever asked them for an honest conversation about what they do activity wise and food wise. Maybe a typical day/week.

One of my friends loves to keep fit, and always looks good. She doesnt log her food but she is mindful of what she eats. She says whenever she creeps up a few pounds she will make adjustments. Another friend of mine is very skinny, doesnt exercise but she says she can go the whole day without eating and then maybe the next day she eats loads.

SInce I lost weight I am more mindful of what I eat as I do not want to put the weight back on. So yes again like you I stay here to keep me on track. Also I dont understand why we cant have what you call that normality. I am aiming to be exactly like my friend number one, who keeps fit and is mindful of her food but without the logging.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't actually care what others do, but these are my family, they eat this way every day and think I'm over the top cos I exercise loads and count cals. Yes some of them are men and tall so I get why they get away with eating huge amounts.

I was more or less just making a point, that them being unaware of how much they're eating does seem to be bliss.

I eat over my TDEE every Saturday, always have done since i started my weight loss journey in 2012. Last night was no different and the rest of the week I am in deficit, that works for me.

I could easily have ate double what I did. But I wouldn't. Old me would have and not given it a second thought but then I'd moan about how fat I was!!

I want to stay slim so I'll do what it takes.

One thing I wonder is if you do the same thing I do. When I go to events where I don't know the actual calorie contents of food (since I didn't make it), I use MFP to estimate it, and always pick the highest options from the database. If you also do that, it's very possible you only ate something like 1000 calories and everyone else at a lot, but not as much as you think.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I stopped in my local watering hole yesterday. I check in about once every 3 weeks. I stick to rum and diet coke...usually only one but sometimes two. Nick, a guy about my age, is sitting there. Severely overweight and smoking. Also had a bucket of beers in front of him, found out it was his second bucket of the day. The bartender and I are chatting about local gyms when Nick pipes up....I need to go to the gym but never find the time. I turn to Nick and said..so how often do you come in here? He replied...every day usually, but only for about an hr. I didn't say another word. Just raised my eyebrow. I rest my case.

When you set health goals for yourself, and start reaching them...it becomes very obvious how others are simply plodding along.

Stay focused....
    I can relate to that, I work from home and always used to say i havent got the time to exercise. I truly believed it. Its only when I got to this site I realised that there was so much you can do from you tube, and other websites. Also why couldnt I do it in my lunch time or before I start work. None of those things occurred to me. So I guess maybe I finally understand the ignorance is bliss comments. Doh, took me time.
    The most important thing is being ready, and I was ready. That chap you mentioned, will prob wait until he has a wake up call.
  • segacs
    Options
    I figure the guy who says he doesn't have time to exercise is pretty much like all the people I know who say they don't have time or money to travel.

I used to answer those "oh, I'm so jealous of your trip" queries with practical advice on how to save up time and money to travel. But that was naive of me. I stopped doing that. 'Cause the reality is, if someone really wants to travel, the time / money thing won't stop them. They'll figure out all those methods to save up time and money on their own.

But the truth is, for most of those people, travel simply isn't a priority. They may "want" to travel in theory in an "oh, it would be lovely to go to Paris one day" sort of way. But they don't really want to travel. Not enough to make the sacrifices that they'd have to make, or to prioritize travel over other things that matter to them -- like a mortgage or a car or dinners out or video games or having kids or whatever is important to them. And that's totally fine! It's okay for them to decide they'd rather own a condo than take expensive vacations, just as it's okay for me to decide that I'd rather travel. We're all different.

So that guy in the bar? He wants to be in the bar more than he wants to be at the gym. That's fine, dude. Just own it. And recognize that it's a choice. And if there ever comes a time when you want to make a different choice, you can do that too. That's on you.

I've stopped worrying about what other people's choices are, or judging them for it. Their life, their choices.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    life isn't fair. we have to count calories, others don't. I work with special need kids, that sure isn't fair. The job has made me very grateful.
  • mensch90
    mensch90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It could be genetics i.e. some people can eat very large amounts of food and their body seems to burn more efficiently that you or me. I know that most men in my family have a stocky build and if I don't control my eating it shows very quickly. Ignorance is bliss but intelligent dieting is heaven…