Why Do YOU Eat Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic

Oxygen is toxic. Too much of it will kill you. You should totally give it up before it's too late.

I go low carb because i have noticed that when i do eat things like bread and pasta my weight increases drastically when compared to a limited carb intake day. I'm one of those 'weigh religiously every day at the same time' type of people.
    I dont need scientific papers or research or fitness experts to tell me this, its just the truth. I see it every day when i step on the scale. Between January and April this year i lost about 44lbs by eating better (mostly cutting carbs and eating more protein) and exercizing (riding about 100 miles a week). Again this worked for me but may not work the same for anyone else.

My advice to everyone here is experiment... find what works for you and stick to it... You cant 'win' this post arguing about what is the better way to go, because everyone is different and what works for one person wont neccesarily work for someone else.

My 2 cents :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So, after reading through all of this, and the effect low carb diets have had on people, I think what is really happening is people are eliminating food sensitivities they have, and thus losing weight, no more migraines, bloating, upset stomach, better sleep, more energy, etc.,etc.,etc. All of the above are symptoms of food allergies (which I suffer from all of them, including Meniere Syndrome symptoms, among others). The most common food intolerance's: Wheat, gluten, white rice, potatoes, and various other grains. What do all of these foods have in common? Our ancestors didn't eat them.

So I'm not buying this 20g of carbs a day thing. We require carbs to function at 100%. All everyone is experiencing is the elimination of foods their bodies can digest. They've just cut out a whack load of other foods as well.

As for the "our biology is designed to store it when we come across it," I'm sorry, but you're full of crap. Our ancestors were NOT carnivores. They were omnivores, leaning more towards herbivores. How often do you see a group of chimps chasing down a gazelle and ripping it's carcass into itty bitty pieces and swallowing them? Granted, they don't eat a lot of grains, because they're not readily available. 90% of their diet comes from fruit and veggies.

So you deduced that its the reduction of grains but not necessarily carbs that have possibly benefited people and that Paleo is the way to go after reading some responses - amazing logical reasoning there. Not really biased thinking on your part!

ETA: I do not do low carb as I cannot see the point - but the reasoning is failing me here.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You're making things up again

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit#Diet

" The typical Inuit diet is high in protein and very high in fat – in their traditional diets, Inuit consumed an average of 75% of their daily energy intake from fat.[33]"

"In the 1920s anthropologist Vilhjalmur Stefansson lived with and studied a group of Inuit.[39] The study focused on the fact that the Inuit's extremely low-carbohydrate diet had no adverse effects on their health, nor indeed, Stefansson's own health. "

Clearly made up (sarcastic). I'm not perfect in referencing everything from memory, but being an *kitten* about it doesn't help.

In order to prove something to be 100% true, you have to explain the exception. I'm not saying we need to be 100% devoid of carbs.

What do the Inuit have to do with our ancestors? So yes your statement was made up if you're only reference to back it up is Wikipedia and one that has nothing to do with our ancestors
  • robynlynn815
    robynlynn815 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Whenever the words "low" and "carb" are used in the same sentence, pages of arguments are sure to follow.
    /yawn :ohwell: Do what works for you and be happy about it. :happy:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb because carbs are not the primary source of fuel for me.

I have adapted to primarily burn my fat stores for energy.

And call me crazy but if you want to lose fat then this seems like a Good Thing.

Now, excuse me, but in my clearly energy-depleted state I have a shedload of mowing to do.

If I don't make it to end without a slice of bread then I'll be sure to let you know ;)
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

" The typical Inuit diet is high in protein and very high in fat – in their traditional diets, Inuit consumed an average of 75% of their daily energy intake from fat.[33]"

"In the 1920s anthropologist Vilhjalmur Stefansson lived with and studied a group of Inuit.[39] The study focused on the fact that the Inuit's extremely low-carbohydrate diet had no adverse effects on their health, nor indeed, Stefansson's own health. "

Clearly made up (sarcastic). I'm not perfect in referencing everything from memory, but being an *kitten* about it doesn't help.

In order to prove something to be 100% true, you have to explain the exception. I'm not saying we need to be 100% devoid of carbs.

What do the Inuit have to do with our ancestors? So yes your statement was made up if you're only reference to back it up is Wikipedia and one that has nothing to do with our ancestors

Yep totally made up. (by accident, you know, I'm not perfect)

You got me!

Congratulations! You found something that wasn't 100% correct. DAMN! I guess everything else I said was a lie.

Some one, please report me for fear mongering and making up lies!

Ohh dear, I'm going to get banned and my credibility is 100% lost.

I'm not here to poke and point and say people are wrong. I'm here to learn and have conversations were people exchange facts.
    I see success everywhere with people eating moderate carb. No were did I say people won't have success or it's wrong. I just found that low carb works for me and I stated my reasons. Ether accept it, or don't.

I'll take a phrase from one of my favorite youtube channels Twin Muscle Workout, "DO WHAT EVER THE **** YOU WANT TO DO!"

I'm going to eat my chicken Alfredo minus the noodles and a spinach salad.

I'm done with this thread. I'll respond to PM's here on out.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It's easy, I feel better, and loose weight on low carb. I enjoy the food, all the rich fats, sauces, meats vegtables and some fruits.

I'd much rather eat a steak with mushroom-bacon cream sauce than bread any day, and I'll still take in less carbs. I feel that once you get over the initial carb flu, my workouts are stronger, and I've gained a lot of muscle over the last year. My endurance is better too and can workout easily 25% longer than I did a year ago without killing myself.

Long story short, eating grains and white carbs make me feel like ****, eliminating them makes me feel better. I eat a ton of vegtables of all varieties and don't feel deprived at all. I do not miss pasta in the least, nor sugar.
  • robynlynn815
    robynlynn815 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

No way...you can't have alfredo with out the noodles!! Thin zucchini strips my friend ;)
  • Marll
    Options

No way...you can't have alfredo with out the noodles!! Thin zucchini strips my friend ;)

Zucchini strips or spaghetti squash!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I tried losing weight for the longest, exercised like a mad man and even ran 2 half marathons and my weight stalled eventhough I was in a caloric deficit (I know, he's a liar right?).

I switched to low carb and the plateau finally ended and my caloric deficit is the same as before. Can I argue about studies and the value of a calorie? All I can say is that its working for me and that's all that matters.

Now by 'low carb' I mean I get about 25% of my calories from carbs (<150 grams/day) and I keep it at whole fruits and veggies, no sodas, juice, cereal, white potatoes, etc.

And I accomplished this without a personal hatred of Gary Taubes or Dr. Lutsig LOL!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Please do not EVER use wikipedia as reliable source for anything....yes, it can be a source that you can use to access other resources (i.e. go find and READ the scholarly articles that so called information is from) but don't use wikipedia as a "source", just makes you look bad and makes your facts less credible or lose any credit at all.

I have no clue what ya'll are arguing over, just pointing out that wikipedia isn't helping your case in any way shape or form.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?

http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/5/951.2.full
  • Marll
    Options
    I tried losing weight for the longest, exercised like a mad man and even ran 2 half marathons and my weight stalled eventhough I was in a caloric deficit (I know, he's a liar right?).

I switched to low carb and the plateau finally ended and my caloric deficit is the same as before. Can I argue about studies and the value of a calorie? All I can say is that its working for me and that's all that matters.

Now by 'low carb' I mean I get about 25% of my calories from carbs (<150 grams/day) and I keep it at whole fruits and veggies, no sodas, juice, cereal, white potatoes, etc.

And I accomplished this without a personal hatred of Gary Taubes or Dr. Lutsig LOL!

OMG, you are such a liar! There is NO WAY that you lost weight with the same caloric deficit where you were stuck before!
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The reason why the Inuit arguement isn't a valid one is because it took them milleniums to develop a digestive system that can withstand such a diet. Back when we "invaded" North America, and people from the South started moving up north where the Inuit lived, they only lived a few years because they could not survive on the Inuit diet. they didn't get the nutrients their bodies needed because they couldn't digest the food properly.

Anyway, I'm leaving this thread. People are starting to blow it way out of context. Not once did I mention anything about the Paleo diet, nor did I say you NEEDED to eat high carbohydrates. I simply came to my own conclusion from my own knowledge, experience, and from what people have written on here. It's apparent to me that people are simply experiencing the results of going to a hypo-allergenic diet, not from eating low carbohydrates. I experienced the exact same thing everyone on here is describing, yet I was still eating a relatively high carbohydrate diet.

All you people are doing now is acting childish. I don't care whether or not you'll eat your bread, and guess what: That zucchini you're having with your pasta sauce are a source of carbs.

“Do not have an opinion while you listen because frankly, your opinion doesn't hold much water outside of Your Universe. Just listen. Listen until their brain has been twisted like a dripping towel and what they have to say is all over the floor.”
    ― Hugh Elliot
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The reason why the Inuit arguement isn't a valid one is because it took them milleniums to develop a digestive system that can withstand such a diet. Back when we "invaded" North America, and people from the South started moving up north where the Inuit lived, they only lived a few years because they could not survive on the Inuit diet. they didn't get the nutrients their bodies needed because they couldn't digest the food properly.

Anyway, I'm leaving this thread. People are starting to blow it way out of context. Not once did I mention anything about the Paleo diet, nor did I say you NEEDED to eat high carbohydrates. I simply came to my own conclusion from my own knowledge, experience, and from what people have written on here. It's apparent to me that people are simply experiencing the results of going to a hypo-allergenic diet, not from eating low carbohydrates. I experienced the exact same thing everyone on here is describing, yet I was still eating a relatively high carbohydrate diet.

All you people are doing now is acting childish. I don't care whether or not you'll eat your bread, and guess what: That zucchini you're having with your pasta sauce are a source of carbs.

“Do not have an opinion while you listen because frankly, your opinion doesn't hold much water outside of Your Universe. Just listen. Listen until their brain has been twisted like a dripping towel and what they have to say is all over the floor.”
    ― Hugh Elliot

Hey!

If you're going to storm off home can you at least leave the ball here?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Who do I sue for time wasted making a serious reply to this thread?

Anybody want to jump on board for a class action?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

― Hugh Elliot

LOL - you didn't have to say the word Paleo - is was pretty obvious, as was the fact you had already come to a conclusion before you posted this with some side-door discussion/debate.
    The most common food intolerance's: Wheat, gluten, white rice, potatoes, and various other grains. What do all of these foods have in common? Our ancestors didn't eat them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Who do I sue for time wasted making a serious reply to this thread?

Anybody want to jump on board for a class action?

I'm in!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Bahahahaha!! I like you :wink:
    I eat low carb because carbs are not the primary source of fuel for me.

I have adapted to primarily burn my fat stores for energy.

And call me crazy but if you want to lose fat then this seems like a Good Thing.

Now, excuse me, but in my clearly energy-depleted state I have a shedload of mowing to do.

If I don't make it to end without a slice of bread then I'll be sure to let you know ;)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs at 30% and I don't eat potatoes, white flour, pasta, corn. I eat a ton of veggies, berries and some fruit. I eat whole grains like oatmeal and quinoa. I do this because I am a diabetic and I have learned what foods raise my blood sugar and what foods are ok for me. I probably eat between 70 and 110g of carbs a day which is high for some low carb diets but much lower then USDA or MFP recommends. I do it because it works for me and keeps me healthy. My results so far have been all the proof I need.

This is exactly what I do and why. In addition to being former diabetic (the weight loss has it under control) I have PCOS as well. PCOS is EXTREMELY common so its not suprising that so many women try to eat good/lower carb. When I say low carb, I DO NOT mean Atkins, ketosis level of no carb... I mean good carbs, reasonable numbers -- 30% of my daily.