Why Do YOU Eat Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My goal is low-ish carbs because I have PCOS & mild insulin resistance. If I don't stay on top of my carbs & sugars my weight fluctuates greatly (10+ pounds in 1-2 days). To keep things consistent I choose to follow this type of plan & have seen better results since switching things up. Definitely don't think it's for everyone, and it's pretty difficult to do long-term, which is why I'm not SUPER strict about it...just more mindful than most.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much nonsense.
    [/quote]

Not according to plenty of scientific studies.

Sugar is not toxic...

Ask a diabetic how its not toxic when they end up in the hospital losing limbs and having organ damage.

I'm just answering the OP's question. Believe what you want. I have nothing to gain if the OP believes this or not.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

Carbohydrate is rare in nature and our biology is designed to store it when we come across it.

Insulin (triggered by carbohydrate) suppresses important hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that control hunger and satiation.

Carbohydrate causes an imbalance of good and bad cholesterol and prevents the body from regulating it appropriately.

Carbohydrate causes hardening of arterial walls, causing clogged arteries that cholesterol attempts to repair. This becomes a chronic issue and is commonly blamed on cholesterol and fat.

Carbohydrate can cause insulin insensitivity leading to diabetes and other chronic issues like metabolic syndrome.

Many types of cancer are accelerated in growth by carbohydrate because cancers develop insulin receptors.

Carbohydrate effects the brain the same way many addictive drugs do.

Carbohydrate addicts suffer with withdraw symptoms when they quit cold turkey.

Also, Carbohydrate is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET. We only need fat and protein.

So why eat it unless you have a specific purpose and a means to use that carbohydrate effectively.

I'll have to agree. Please show me the research that brought you to this conclusion, and by "research" I mean at least 5 separate reports from universities of medicine, sport medicine practitioners, and/or professional coaches who have published material.

A lot of what people seem to be describing about the changes they have experienced from cutting out carbs (which also seem to be primarily starches and grains) sound a lot like they have recovered from food intolerance symptoms, which is often related to wheat, gluten, potatoes, etc.

I cut out a lot of allergenic foods recently (I'll be taking the blood test very soon) and I experienced the exact same thing all of you had when you cut out carbs - More energy, less bloating, lost a ton of weight (10 lbs in my first week, no activity changes), clearer head, better sleep, etc, yet I will still eating 60% of my calories as carbs!

So far, I'm not buying it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So please, elaborate on your reasoning. I'm very curious to know why YOU chose to do it, and how it's working out for YOU.

Four words, mainly. One....diabetes. Two, three and four.....it works great. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I do it to help control my blood sugar. Also I have no problem running half marathons/endurance training on a very low carb diet. Typically, 50% of my calories comes from fat.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This is a good reason why people should not pick up Gary Taubes books.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Diabetes, plus some food intolerances (wheat and corn amongst others) make low-carb an easy choice for me. I get my carbs (50-75 g) from mainly vegetable sources
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs at 30% and I don't eat potatoes, white flour, pasta, corn. I eat a ton of veggies, berries and some fruit. I eat whole grains like oatmeal and quinoa. I do this because I am a diabetic and I have learned what foods raise my blood sugar and what foods are ok for me. I probably eat between 70 and 110g of carbs a day which is high for some low carb diets but much lower then USDA or MFP recommends. I do it because it works for me and keeps me healthy. My results so far have been all the proof I need.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Because I'm incredibly insulin sensitive, I eat carbs and I bloat, feel ****ty and get migraines and gain weight. I do eat them. Sometimes.

I lift weights, run, cycle, swim all with under 100, and sometimes under 50 gms of carbs a day and feel fine.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Ask a diabetic how its not toxic when they end up in the hospital losing limbs and having organ damage.

So is peanut butter toxic to everyone because some people have an allergy?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

Carbohydrate is rare in nature and our biology is designed to store it when we come across it.

Insulin (triggered by carbohydrate) suppresses important hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that control hunger and satiation.

Carbohydrate causes an imbalance of good and bad cholesterol and prevents the body from regulating it appropriately.

Carbohydrate causes hardening of arterial walls, causing clogged arteries that cholesterol attempts to repair. This becomes a chronic issue and is commonly blamed on cholesterol and fat.

Carbohydrate can cause insulin insensitivity leading to diabetes and other chronic issues like metabolic syndrome.

Many types of cancer are accelerated in growth by carbohydrate because cancers develop insulin receptors.

Carbohydrate effects the brain the same way many addictive drugs do.

Carbohydrate addicts suffer with withdraw symptoms when they quit cold turkey.

Also, Carbohydrate is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET. We only need fat and protein.

So why eat it unless you have a specific purpose and a means to use that carbohydrate effectively.

Yup!
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    I eat all sorts of carbs! If by carbs you mean veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes... Sometimes, I even have a bit of potato or bread. Not often. I've got PCOS and Insulin Resistance. It sucks, yeah, but I've learned to deal with it. I make faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower.
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it's the only thing that keeps my hormone levels(which had been insane) and blood sugar levels low. Otherwise, the Dr will put me on meds. If I can fix it through diet I will take that over meds any day. I am not on Atkins by any means. I still eat fruit so I consider myself on a "lower carb" diet. I keep mine at about 25-30%.
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really like meat so im low carb kinda by default.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

I liked his books. His larger book, Good Calories Bad Calories is packed full of referenced research. OP, this is a good place to start.

Some people knock him, but everyone has their critics weather is rational or not.

Dr. Lustig goes in depth as to why sugar is toxic. I would suggest you read his book and or watch his YT videos.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Nothing to contribute here, I just found it too ironic that, while reading this thread, there was an ad for a girl nomming on a huge slice of rye bread on the right-hand side of my browser...

Oh, MFP. *limp wave* You so funny.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I liked his books. His larger book, Good Calories Bad Calories is packed full of referenced research. OP, this is a good place to start.

Some people knock him, but everyone has their critics weather is rational or not.

Dr. Lustig goes in depth as to why sugar is toxic. I would suggest you read his book and or watch his YT videos.

So clearly you agree there are "good calories" and "bad calories" then?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Unfortunately they have both been readily refuted. I would suggest you look into the counterpoints as to why both of the above gentlemen are completely missing the boat.

EDIT: In a previous thread, when I could clearly tell that you were spouting Taubes nonsense, I tried to point you in the right direction with Krieger's referenced and researched rebuttal. You either chose not to read it, or you disagreed with it and didn't comment further.
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat carbs I'm one moody son of a *****!!... & eating them hasn't effected my weight loss either!!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

So clearly you agree there are "good calories" and "bad calories" then?

Good luck Joe.