Why Do YOU Eat Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Most plants found in nature are seasonal and have the fraction of the carbohydrate found in today's manufactured and genetically altered foods.

How their carb count compares to today's foods has no relevance on if they are "rare" or not.
    Protein does to an extent. I don't advocate a high protein diet either.

Yet you left that out of your fear mongering

Every post you made after mine has been nothing more than a troll. .

Actually previously I tried to engage you in a high level debate, which you chose to ignore. I was asking you about DNL if you remember

Yes it does. Unless you believe we've only been around for a short time.

So what I said makes you scared or is attempting to scare other people? That's not my intention.

What about DNL? (De Novo Lipogenesis)

Do you wish to make a point out of it? By all means. Go ahead. I'll he happy to read what you have to say about it and we can have a discussion. I'm always open to it.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    I did low carb for a while and I found that it broke my addiction to refined sugar. I barely eat any now. I still eat wholewheat bread, I still eat potatoes, I still eat brown rice but I don't care about sugar at all. I think there is definitely a link between obesity and high sugar diets. Low carb itself, not sure it's sustainable but that's my experience.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not only low carb, high fat too.... yum yum. I am fuelled by fat. No hitting the wall for me.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

Carbohydrate is rare in nature and our biology is designed to store it when we come across it.

Insulin (triggered by carbohydrate) suppresses important hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that control hunger and satiation.

Carbohydrate causes an imbalance of good and bad cholesterol and prevents the body from regulating it appropriately.

Carbohydrate causes hardening of arterial walls, causing clogged arteries that cholesterol attempts to repair. This becomes a chronic issue and is commonly blamed on cholesterol and fat.

Carbohydrate can cause insulin insensitivity leading to diabetes and other chronic issues like metabolic syndrome.

Many types of cancer are accelerated in growth by carbohydrate because cancers develop insulin receptors.

Carbohydrate effects the brain the same way many addictive drugs do.

Carbohydrate addicts suffer with withdraw symptoms when they quit cold turkey.

Also, Carbohydrate is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET. We only need fat and protein.

So why eat it unless you have a specific purpose and a means to use that carbohydrate effectively.

It is technically true that you don't need carbohydrates in a set (and bad) definition, but still a horrible idea.

"Carbohydrates provide your body with the most important source of energy, used in each of your body's cells, tissues and organs. This energy is used to fuel all of the activities it takes for your body to live. According to the Mayo Clinic, carbohydrates such as whole grains and dietary fiber may help reduce your risk of developing cardiovascular disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes. Fiber, found in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, is essential for digestive health.

Health Risks of Eliminating Carbohydrates

Without including healthy carbohydrates in your diet, you are at an increased risk for certain adverse health conditions. Eliminating carbohydrates and replacing those calories with fatty sources of protein can increase your intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, known to increase your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Eliminating carbohydrates also eliminates fiber from your diet, which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems. Ketosis, a condition that occurs in the body by incomplete fat breakdown, arises with low carbohydrate intake and can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/419298-can-you-live-without-carbohydrates/#ixzz235JI5AXB

So basically... No. To everything you said. Because I think Mayo Clinic knows a bit more about health and medicine than you.

I've read repeatedly from multiple sources that fat and cholesterol intake has little to no impact on heart disease. In fact, there are plenty of accounts were people are eating mostly carbohydrate, are on medication for cholesterol, and have heart disease.

Those symptoms you described are also temporary and sourced from carbohydrate addiction. I also get plenty of fiber from vegetables and I'm quite regular.

There are also plenty of cases were people lived solely on protein and fat and did not have any of the issues you stated above.

I don't suggest you rely on a single source for information.

Edit: If anyone wishes to discuss this further, PM me. I have errands to run. (I sure hope I don't collapse and die from lacking carbs)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i feel 100% better while in ketosis. no insomnia, less anxiety/depression, it helps with a plethora of other health related things too.

the weight loss is only a great side effect.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is my thinking. Low carb to me is 'proper' carb. This means fruits (to a point), gluten free grains (to a point) and non starchy vegetables (in abundance). Starchy vegetables, gluten grains, sugar and alcohol are either eliminated from my diet or are a rare thing. Automatically I'm labeled "low carb". I sort of resent that since I'm not part of the bacon and grease eating Atkins crowd.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Low carb lifestyle is like any other diet- everyone seems to follow what works for them. I have seen it go the other way too, and to go on it, then 2-3 weeks later back off, the vicious cycle was a contributing factor to the death of my dad at 62. In his mind, there was only one diet that could make him lose weight. Sadly his lost life was my wake up call to learn more, and I do advocate limiting carbs that are white, white rice, potatos (oh how I love them but can't eat them often), sugar, yes, processed white sugar, pasta, and the list goes on.
    No Dr dread who wrote a book is going to convince me of my own personal needs- we all have to learn what works best and fuel our bodies accordingly. You can make yourself go crazy by following the latest writers or fitness craze- each body is different, and we all know ourselves well enough to know what didn't work in the past, and how we damaged our bodies with foods that aren't food at all. Oh and although I don't go organic much (because I can't afford to- there is no gray area here, its just reality) I do the best I can to avoid overly processed foods and cook at home as much as I can.

I eat relatively low carb, but its not high fat, or lots of meat, I just don't like eating a lot of meat. And I have a good combination snack 1 hour before workout, good carbs and protein. And lots and lots of water!
  • jadedcynic
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

Carbohydrate is rare in nature and our biology is designed to store it when we come across it.

Insulin (triggered by carbohydrate) suppresses important hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that control hunger and satiation.

Carbohydrate causes an imbalance of good and bad cholesterol and prevents the body from regulating it appropriately.

Carbohydrate causes hardening of arterial walls, causing clogged arteries that cholesterol attempts to repair. This becomes a chronic issue and is commonly blamed on cholesterol and fat.

Carbohydrate can cause insulin insensitivity leading to diabetes and other chronic issues like metabolic syndrome.

Many types of cancer are accelerated in growth by carbohydrate because cancers develop insulin receptors.

Also, Carbohydrate is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET. We only need fat and protein.

So why eat it unless you have a specific purpose and a means to use that carbohydrate effectively.

*blink*

"Carbohydrate is rare in nature..."

Really? Better tell all those beetles and other arthropods (which make up a majority of animal life on the planet) that their exoskeletons, shells, etc. are RARE because chitin is derived from glucose. And all those wild herbivores out there that are not controlled and husbanded by humans must be starving because cellulose "is rare in nature" too.

Seriously, please expand your knowledge beyond a few sources of a fringe 'guru' and try to achieve a broader and more stable view of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate (check out the third paragraph on its 'rarity' and how it "is 100% NOT NECESSARY IN THE DIET")
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you that I fought the good fight, and the carbs let me be. I wish I could tell you that - but dieting is no fairy-tale world. I never said who did it, but they all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - dieting consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, I would show up with more bodyfat. The carbs kept at me - sometimes I was able to fight 'em off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for me - that was my routine. I do believe those first two years were the worst for me, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, dieting would have got the best of me.

Andy Dufresne, how is the skinny life in Mexico treating you? :-)
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Gluten intolerant, so once you eliminate those foods, it's most of your carbs. The gluten free foods they make are pretty much just empty calories made from starches, no point in eating those. I don't try to eat low carb per se, it's just what happens when I eat the foods I want to eat and can eat.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    So, after reading through all of this, and the effect low carb diets have had on people, I think what is really happening is people are eliminating food sensitivities they have, and thus losing weight, no more migraines, bloating, upset stomach, better sleep, more energy, etc.,etc.,etc. All of the above are symptoms of food allergies (which I suffer from all of them, including Meniere Syndrome symptoms, among others). The most common food intolerance's: Wheat, gluten, white rice, potatoes, and various other grains. What do all of these foods have in common? Our ancestors didn't eat them.

So I'm not buying this 20g of carbs a day thing. We require carbs to function at 100%. All everyone is experiencing is the elimination of foods their bodies can digest. They've just cut out a whack load of other foods as well.

As for the "our biology is designed to store it when we come across it," I'm sorry, but you're full of crap. Our ancestors were NOT carnivores. They were omnivores, leaning more towards herbivores. How often do you see a group of chimps chasing down a gazelle and ripping it's carcass into itty bitty pieces and swallowing them? Granted, they don't eat a lot of grains, because they're not readily available. 90% of their diet comes from fruit and veggies.
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    interesting.bump..for later.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

It is technically true that you don't need carbohydrates in a set (and bad) definition, but still a horrible idea.

"Carbohydrates provide your body with the most important source of energy, used in each of your body's cells, tissues and organs. This energy is used to fuel all of the activities it takes for your body to live. According to the Mayo Clinic, carbohydrates such as whole grains and dietary fiber may help reduce your risk of developing cardiovascular disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes. Fiber, found in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, is essential for digestive health.

Health Risks of Eliminating Carbohydrates

Without including healthy carbohydrates in your diet, you are at an increased risk for certain adverse health conditions. Eliminating carbohydrates and replacing those calories with fatty sources of protein can increase your intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, known to increase your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Eliminating carbohydrates also eliminates fiber from your diet, which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems. Ketosis, a condition that occurs in the body by incomplete fat breakdown, arises with low carbohydrate intake and can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/419298-can-you-live-without-carbohydrates/#ixzz235JI5AXB

So basically... No. To everything you said. Because I think Mayo Clinic knows a bit more about health and medicine than you.

I've read repeatedly from multiple sources that fat and cholesterol intake has little to no impact on heart disease. In fact, there are plenty of accounts were people are eating mostly carbohydrate, are on medication for cholesterol, and have heart disease.

Those symptoms you described are also temporary and sourced from carbohydrate addiction. I also get plenty of fiber from vegetables and I'm quite regular.

There are also plenty of cases were people lived solely on protein and fat and did not have any of the issues you stated above.

I don't suggest you rely on a single source for information.

Edit: If anyone wishes to discuss this further, PM me. I have errands to run. (I sure hope I don't collapse and die from lacking carbs)

I have to agree I've been seeing more and more information linking sugars to plaque build up and questioning the rolls of fat on Plaque build up. I think it is safe to say there are still open questions and a healthy debate.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger

Good conversation after cleaning up a bit.

:flowerforyou: MFP Moderator
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Low carb diets are only useful for shredding body fat in short periods of time, they're not for endurance or performance athletes like yourself.

4-6 weeks is the maximum recommended safe time to be on a low carb diet (25-30% carb) After that all kinds of health problems arise.

Safe carbs would be 40% or higher. Body builders and performance athletes stick around 50% carbs at higher caloric intake (low glycemic of course)

But for the average Joe getting off the couch we want to kick start that fat loss by metabolizing more fat stores and using energy from there, instead of lots of carbs in the tummy / blood stream =D
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is a good reason why people should not pick up Gary Taubes books.

I liked his books. His larger book, Good Calories Bad Calories is packed full of referenced research. OP, this is a good place to start.

Some people knock him, but everyone has their critics weather is rational or not.

Dr. Lustig goes in depth as to why sugar is toxic. I would suggest you read his book and or watch his YT videos.

Hooboy! Taubes and Lustig. The cavalcade of Bozos! LOL
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Sugar is toxic.

This is pretty much nonsense.

Yup!

Wow lol. Do they realize how wrong they are :S I mean some of these things can happen, but it's not carbs fault lol. It's your a unhealthy this and that's fault allot of the time.
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb because I have PCOS and due to PCOS I have an insulin resistance. I have lost 51lbs since 4/31/12. I feel better and have more energy since switching my eating but I think that has a lot to do with my weight loss as well. If I could eat more carbs and not continue to gain weight I would, I do love quinoa, homemade breads, and LOVE fruit but need to keep my intake down until I get to goal weight then I can slowly start adding low GI/complex carbs in slowly to find my body's balance.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My carbs come from veg, dairy, and fruit (in that order). Since I'm closer to my goal weight I've upped the carbs a bit, but always try to stay under 75.

I have been doing this for almost a year and a half and I stick with lower carb because it works for me. It is the ONLY thing I've been able to stick with and see results, and because I come from a long line of Type 2's including my gramma who has lost both legs and most of her vision to Diabetes and an uncle (who is like 5 minutes older than me) who has already been dx'd himself. I was morbidly obese for years and a gestational diabetic who had the monster huge babies that come with it. Some of those babies have special needs and I need to stick around and take care of them. Because of my weight loss, I have a better shot at that.

If low carb makes no sense to you, or doesn't work for you, awesome. Do what does make sense and works for you. I really don't understand the threads that seem to be about talking the rest of us out of it.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz made me do it.