Ever lose a friend over your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    In the past, yes. These days, I have found such wonderful and supportive friends. Also, my husband is amazingly supportive, and I am glad he's in my life... He has encouraged me to keep going.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    People certainly dont have to be on a soap ox to lose a friend over a major lifestyle change!

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a friendship but I'm confused about one. A friend of 7 years (my only friend to be honest) has started making snide comments. For example, I did a 4 mile walk and was pretty proud of myself for it. I only mentioned it to her after we we're discussing how great the weather in Florida has been lately. Her response...oh that's nothing. I probably walk more than that daily. Mind you she's way bigger than me. The smart comments are confusing to me because I don't know why she's acting this way. I suspect if she doesn't stop I may have to put a little distance between us. Which I don't want to do.

Invite her to join you on your walks. If she tends to be defensive or sensitive about her weight don't imply that she needs exercise-just tell her you would enjoy the company. A fitness buddy can make exercise more enjoyable and help with motivation. If she declines and continues to be snide tell her how her comments are making you feel. If that doesn't help then you may have to put a little distance between you.

• NikkiBiggestFan
    NikkiBiggestFan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Inviting her to walk with me may actually be a great idea.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not yet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Very sad. It is possible that were were heading into the non-friend direction anyway. The food hastened it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If they are no longer in your life, due to your diet, then good riddance to them. They weren't true friends.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It might be saying something about the other person's insecurities more than anything you have done. If you are losing in a healthy fashion, focus more on supportive, positive people in your life.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Not over weight loss, but my (now ex) husband and I separated not long after I quit drinking.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd have to have friends first.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lost a friend because I got thinner? No.

I did make a blunder once while out at a bar. I forgot to congratulate my friend on something kind of big because I was thinking a bit too hard about myself and how to stay in a deficit that night. Whoops.
  • fifiman
    fifiman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. Their jealousy and my refusal to eat at buffets and pig out all the time ended the friendship.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    fifiman wrote: »
    Yes, I have. Their jealousy and my refusal to eat at buffets and pig out all the time ended the friendship.

This sounds like it's more about a lack of communication than it is about anything else.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Yes but I think the word was used too lightly and when I started to lose weight I found out just who my real friends were.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'd have to have friends first.

YOU, I like!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

I've come close to losing my boyfriend over weight loss - not a friend. The reason being there was a time where I became totally, utterly, unhealthily obsessed with what the scales told me which resulted in me practically giving up any form of social life so I could plan my calories easier. It was awful - and totally my fault. Luckily, he's a good man and we worked through it. I also totally changed my mind-set which was good..!

@PinkPixiexox I was really glad to read this. I remember your thread a little while back, and I'm so pleased that you eased off a bit and have sorted things with your man and your mind-set.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I try not to bring up my weight loss to others, especially those who are overweight. Nobody notices I've lost weight anyway, hah!
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yes, sadly I have...
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've lost two friends. Mostly due to jealousy I suspect. They would eye roll everytime I saw them and ask me why I'm still losing weight. They're both about the size I was when I started and I've lost 30kg (66lbs) which puts me at the top of the healthy range now.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Not that. But I've lost them for other crazy reasons, like developing a severe dog allergy. I figure they weren't good friends to begin with.