Work Treats

Options
Never posted anything before but thought I'd put this out there as I'm terrible for this particular subject.

Every Birthday at work or praise for something good, or an attempt to get people to try work better at something involves the steady stream of cakes, biscuits, crisps, sausage rolls and every thing we really shouldn't be having excess of.

The company i work for us pretty big so this literally means like at least once a week something is happening.
Add in the work colleague lunch meal at the pub and it's just a constant disaster.

What techniques to people use to continually stay on track and keep away. I know this is all motivation.. And when i do get on it I'll just say no.. However I've dropped off and getting back on its damn difficult.

Thanks for any tips and tricks

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you think you have it bad, the current group I work with at work have a table dedicated to delicious food that people bring in every day. At our peak busy period we had a fresh dozen donuts every day, a new bag of chocolate candy every day, and anything else someone threw at the table. I gained a ton of weight back then.

Now, I eat it, log it, and move on. Instead of eating 2 donuts and a couple dozen candies, I eat one donut and that is it, or I eat a couple candies, but not both. Today I had 4 Riesen candies and that was it, but there was a bucket of other candies to choose from along with pretzel sticks (I wanted those too).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Prelog your day so you can know whether or not the treat will fit in
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    adamjb88 wrote: »
    Never posted anything before but thought I'd put this out there as I'm terrible for this particular subject.

Every Birthday at work or praise for something good, or an attempt to get people to try work better at something involves the steady stream of cakes, biscuits, crisps, sausage rolls and every thing we really shouldn't be having excess of.

The company i work for us pretty big so this literally means like at least once a week something is happening.
    Add in the work colleague lunch meal at the pub and it's just a constant disaster.

What techniques to people use to continually stay on track and keep away. I know this is all motivation.. And when i do get on it I'll just say no.. However I've dropped off and getting back on its damn difficult.

Thanks for any tips and tricks

You've answered your own question.

Don't consume in excess.

Consume within the limits of your calorie and macronutritional goals.
  • adamjb88
    adamjb88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That sounds like hell.. Not sure ive got it that bad.. We used to have 'Fat Fridays'.. Was just known because every one bought so much rubbish stuff in.

My error is having one and having another and i just think.. It'll be alright
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My job has food out ALL THE TIME. I used to think it was awesome. Now I just ignore it for the most part. I try to look at the treats as if they were plants or knick knacks (unless it's brownies then all bets are off). I like to bring in fruit, almonds, or popcorn for my snack to ward of temptations; however, if you REALLY want something, eat it and fit it into your calories for the day.
  • adamjb88
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    adamjb88 wrote: »

You've answered your own question.

Don't consume in excess.

Consume within the limits of your calorie and macronutritional goals.

Unfortunately i haven't been able to plan lately and so i never am sure what evening rates will be although obviously i could just leave a number remaining and stop any further.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I bring my own food to work every time. I think the last time I ate "out", as in ordered delivery, which was just a sandwich, was like 3 months ago.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    This happens at my job at least once a week. There are donuts, bagels, cake, cupcakes or something. What I do I just totally ignore it. I am not the type to say I can have just one donut or a half a cupcake, so I do not have any. I understand it is harder if you really want it, but I no longer want any of it. When I think about the calories and how much other food I can have for the same amount I keep walking. As I posted on another board, if I miss out on one cookie or donut its not big deal because I have had enough to last a lifetime.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Fail to plan, plan to fail. ;) Bring your own food, or have a big glass of water when faced with treats, instead. Willpower.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At my work, these gatherings are usually held across the hall in an empty conference room. Sometimes I just don't go. Other times I go, walk past the food line to the person being celebrated, congratulate him/her, stand there chatting for 5 minutes, and then leave. Once in a great while if somebody is being really pushy about food (doesn't happen very often) I take a plate back to my office and throw it in the trash can.
  • adamjb88
    Options
    Fail to plan, plan to fail. ;) Bring your own food, or have a big glass of water when faced with treats, instead. Willpower.

I do bring my own.. I then feel guilty that i also need to eat what i bought so i don't waste it
  • AntonVan74
    AntonVan74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This happens all the time at my office and to make matters worse the table the put it is right behind my desk. I just simply ignore it, and I brought up I don't participate in potlucks so I wouldn't have that pressure. As for your lunches at the pub my breaks and lunches are my time and I use them to do things to stay active since I work on a cubical all day. I I walk up and down the stairs twice a day, and on lunch I will walk around downtown and can get in 1.5-2 miles on my 30 minutes lunch. Basically it's self control, and saying it's ok to pass it up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    At my work, these gatherings are usually held across the hall in an empty conference room. Sometimes I just don't go. Other times I go, walk past the food line to the person being celebrated, congratulate him/her, stand there chatting for 5 minutes, and then leave. Once in a great while if somebody is being really pushy about food (doesn't happen very often) I take a plate back to my office and throw it in the trash can.

I like this plan. You are sociable, but not sabotaging yourself.

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    This happens at my job at least once a week. There are donuts, bagels, cake, cupcakes or something. What I do I just totally ignore it. I am not the type to say I can have just one donut or a half a cupcake, so I do not have any. I understand it is harder if you really want it, but I no longer want any of it. When I think about the calories and how much other food I can have for the same amount I keep walking. As I posted on another board, if I miss out on one cookie or donut its not big deal because I have had enough to last a lifetime.

"I have had enough to last a lifetime"

Great words. I need to keep these in mind the next time I feel like "treating myself". Or the next time I feel like I've not treated myself enough.

• sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually bring my own food...and eat what my supervisor brings in as well hahaha not even gonna lie. I do it in moderation, though. I also try to burn atleast 500 calories a day
    That's meal for me. I'm at a place where I know what I can and cannot do. Resisting yummy food is doable, I just don't want to lol
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It happens a lot at my job as well. I almost always grab something. I will cut a donut in half or grab a single cookie, log it and fit it into your caloric goals. Is the cookie worth not having as much snack after dinner? Pre logging also helps, and lunch is my time I spend it at home with baby or walking and burning of f the half donut I ate.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    People bring in donuts and breakfast tacos all the time. I don't like either (donuts are too sweet, and I don't like eggs), so I always skip it. Events are different though. I usually try to skip them (I do not enjoy them), but sometimes we are required to go. I just kinda go light on the food, or have none, if I can get away with it. I don't mind going to lunch with coworkers, though. Easy enough to pick foods that fit in my goals easily at a restaurant.

A week or two ago we acquired a bunch of cookies leftover from a meeting. I did grab a few of those. Too sweet, so I won't next time (from a local bakery).

I have also thrown away food when it was forced on me. Just take it, say thanks, and toss it later.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day and stick to it.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat but survive by allowing "treats" only at night after all meals are eaten. It's so much easier to say no to the office lolly jar when I know that if I eat the lollies, I don't get icecream in bed!!

People now don't bother offering me lollies/cake/slices etc. as I always say no. It's gotten to the point where it has silently influenced my coworkers into bringing [slightly] healthier snacks too!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and the faculty lounge often loaded with grocery store bakery items. Most of these I can pass up because, well. . . grocery store bakery items aren't that good. Occasionally, someone's birthday cake looks good to me and I will take a modest piece and log it. Often I just walk out of the room if I think I will be tempted and don't choose to eat anything. The most important factor is that I always have other snacks stashed away that do fit my calories: animal crackers, dry roasted peanuts, a banana, a bit of dark chocolate.